Picking Up 2007 3055RL

auto

this weekend. Will be my first hook up, tow and park by myself:eek:. Any good checklists, tricks and tips for an almost noobie?

Midastouch

Slow and easy ...

;) How exciting! Congrats! All I can say is keep asking questions and all these great folks will chime in and help ... all anyone has to do is ask!

jpmorgan37

Auto;

Get a pair of walkie talkies, a patient helper and don't be afraid to ask someone for help. Don't get frustrated, take it slow, if you are not 100% sure, stop-get out and walk around and look and start again. Also, be patient with your helper. Remember, they are your eyes-if you poke them-they will go shut. That's not a good thing.

Good luck,

John

DougLynne

retired Alberta Chapter Leaders
My wife and I took an RV driving course that was offered by our local Motor Assoc. It was very helpful, I had been towing for years and learned a few things. It was held on a Sat., the morning was classroom stuff and the afternoon was driving. They took us out to an old airport runway to practice stopping (normal and emergency) and parking. Both of us had to drive.../Doug

cdbMidland

Past Michigan Chapter Leader
Doug & Lynne

Would you please post some of the particulars of this course - name of the auto association that offered it, how much, prerequisites, etc.

Sounds like a great idea. Possibly could cut down on insurance premium costs as well.

DougLynne

retired Alberta Chapter Leaders
Off hand I can't find any documentation we had, the course we took was about 9 years ago. It was through the Alberta Motor Assoc. which is all affiliated with the Canadian and American Motor Associations. If I remember the cost was around $100 for the day. One comment I remember and it fits, "remember, your a whale among a sea of guppies". If I can find anything I'll update. Some of the things I remember discussing are:

The RV course includes:
  • Half day instruction using your RV
  • This course is taught by RV - instruction is given for the driver and one companion.
  • Topics include: towing, braking, parking and hazard aawareness and prevention.
  • Safety tips regarding: propane, hitching, tires and weight.
http://www.ama.ab.ca/cps/rde/xchg/SID-53ED365C-5EADFD74/ama/web/everything_auto_RV-Course-5310.htm

During the driving test they have you weaving between pilons so learn to control speed when having to make quick adjustments. Emergency stopping, regular stopping, turning corners so you get to know your clearances, etc. and backing up. My wife hated that part, even growing up with farmers as parents.

Hope this helps. Don't know the price as it varied depending where you are. Hope this helps.../Doug

cdbMidland

Thanks, Doug. Does anyone know of any oher course like this in the states? I don't know if Michigan has an AMA branch there. I am an AAA member, but I have never seen this course offered there.

cdbMidland

I'll do that when I return. However, I have never seen this course offered in the monthly listing for all of the Michigan offices. I'll have to ask.

SmokeyBare

How about a Large empty parking lot to practice driving ??

We used to take the Rookies to the Community College parking lot when it was nearly empty for driving practice. This gave them a chance to learn how to make turns and back up with out damage to the trucks or others property.

When backing, having an extra set of eyes helps. My better half always uses the walkie talkies when correcting my backing maneuvers. Saves those surprised looks from our new neighbors.

When I can... I try to back into a site turning the rig on the drivers side.

Marv