PDA

View Full Version : The Ultimate Self Defense Weapon for the RV and Home

DW_Gray
03-22-2011, 03:59 PM
Well I say ultimate, but I know that is a matter of one's opinion. I was reading my new digital American Hunter issue and read about Kel Tec's new KSG shotgun coming out soon. Considering the KSG weighs 6.9lbs and is as compact as legally possible with a 26.1" overall length and an 18.5" cylinder bore barrel and has a capacity of 14+1, that got my attention.

The length of this shotgun especially makes it most likely the best self defense shotgun for RV owners. With its short overall length, you should be able to handle the KSG in any RV location. With two magazine tubes holding 7 rounds of 2 3/4" shells in each tube that is manually selected by a lever located behind the trigger guard, you can load up any combination of shot loads for your self defense needs.

I hope to get my hands on one soon. To make it more scary, I think I would add a laser sight on it.

Read more here: Kel Tec KSG Shotgun (http://www.keltecweapons.com/news/preview-kel-tec-shotgun-ksg)

TandT
03-22-2011, 04:10 PM
Aw Dave, Just got the wife talked into a $300 Mossberg. Don't think she'll go for $800.

JohnDar
03-22-2011, 04:24 PM
I may need trifocals, but I don't think I need 15 rounds of buckshot to take care of an intruder at close range. Wicked looking weapon, but what are you going after with it that needs those fancy sights?? I've heard, unconfirmed, that beyond 30 yards it becomes murder, not self-defense.

Jellystone
03-22-2011, 05:05 PM
That is one mean looking shotgun. I really like the size and shape of the weapon. I'll have to do the research and see if it will also be available in a 20 gauge model. Those 12's in such a small package sometimes go wild with the "kick". Thanks for the post on it.

SilverRhino
03-22-2011, 06:21 PM
I have to agree with JohnDar.......what's with the sights?? It looks like a "peep" sight to me......on a 12 ga shotgun it seems to be a bit of a waste.

porthole
03-22-2011, 10:48 PM
Good thing it is a pump otherwise it would be one more firearm illegal in NJ.

Pretty wild looking - I'm with Jellystone - with 14 rounds available might be better off with a 20

H'mm check out the magnum - ouch
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwN8jHSEhCE

Pulltab
03-25-2011, 06:47 AM
That is an awesome shotgun!

porthole
03-25-2011, 09:20 AM
The more I think about it the more I like the Judge
Just waiting for the permits to come through.

chris4905
04-07-2011, 10:41 AM
I LIKE it and I WANT one !!!!

The peep sight would be very valuable if switching to a magazine tube loaded with slugs (personally I would go with one magazine 00 buck, the other slugs).

Thanks for the lead Dave, I picture one of these under the Christmas tree.

Chris (Retired LE after 32 years service)

pegmikef
04-07-2011, 12:24 PM
Really slick! Are they out yet?

branson4020
04-07-2011, 12:49 PM
I may need trifocals, but I don't think I need 15 rounds of buckshot to take care of an intruder at close range. Wicked looking weapon, but what are you going after with it that needs those fancy sights?? I've heard, unconfirmed, that beyond 30 yards it becomes murder, not self-defense.

Zombies, John. Think about being attacked by a bloodthirsty pack of zombies. This will dismember them - it's the only way to stop 'em.

JohnDar
04-07-2011, 06:38 PM
Zombies, John. Think about being attacked by a bloodthirsty pack of zombies. This will dismember them - it's the only way to stop 'em.

Good point :eek:. I forgot about them critters crawling out of the TV screen late at night.

Wmnmy
04-07-2011, 07:01 PM
Awesome weapon guess what I'm getting for my birthday hahaha (That Shotgun).....

k6fn
08-01-2011, 09:47 AM
If you have a hand gun and no shotgun tho, buy yourself ammo called "shotshells" for your particular caliber.. typically shot shells will not go thru the house and possibly harm others..
its certainly good to be protected as there are far too many crazies out there.. thanks for the shotgun info..
jerry

Hastey
08-01-2011, 11:18 AM

In Oklahoma unless the other person has a gun and threating you, 30 yards would be murder. Even with the castle laws we have in place because the law dosen't see that you are in immediate danger and especially if you have the option of going inside, locking the door and calling the law. That's Oklahoma.

PUG
08-01-2011, 12:46 PM
Keltec is a very innovative company with many new products. They in the past were considered low quality crap guns. They have turned that all around and are very good about service repairs if that should be needed. I purchased a PF-9 from them about 6 months ago and love this little gun. I say little because it is the smallest concealed carry made in a 9 mm. Thin, light weight and after running about 500 rounds with only one jam (my fault) I very much like it. Not a long range shooter but within 15 yards deadly. I use a DeSantis pocket holster and you would think I have a billfold in my front pocket.

Jimmy
08-01-2011, 12:51 PM
Keltec gets my vote also, been carrying a Keltec 3AT in the pocket all the time for a couple years now.

DBygum
08-20-2011, 08:02 PM
I see that a couple of people have expressed questions about the peep sights; keep in mind it is intended for self defense, against both humans and animals. It's not intended for hunting; so the peep sights make sense. Nice looking shotgun, just got back from Alaska and I think I could have taken it with me through Canada.

Uncle Rog
08-27-2011, 05:20 PM
I still will rely on my Winchester 1200's, 7 + 1 works for me.
We use #1 buck vs 00, If I remeber right, I prefer 15 x .32 vs 9 x .38...............from reading Ruark as a child.
The previous post stated that the weapon was not intended for hunting, the hollow ring sights make it a perfect game getter.........................

mmomega
09-02-2011, 12:12 AM
I like the Saiga's myself.
http://www.saiga-12.com/

Borntowade
09-10-2011, 06:18 PM
I will stick with my Taurus Judge 3" magnum. When in the truck getting to the campsite it is loaded with 2 .410 buckshot loads (3") and 3 .45 long colt hydrashocks. When we are set up and inside I go with all 5 loads of .410. When hikinnng in snake country I carry it with 4 shot shells. Very versatile and very effective.

hart1369
09-10-2011, 08:52 PM
the judge has its place now with the ammo copanies making ammo for it

Hastey
09-11-2011, 10:55 AM
The new ammo is great! Awesome close range stuff. Pass the 20 ft mark and it gets a little weak.

But, the good news is I have found the best weapon ever! How embarrassing would it be to get your butt whipped with a pink Barbie bat? Huh? LOL!

gmc
09-11-2011, 11:10 AM
I believe all you need for protection besides a firearm is a good old can of wasp spray the one the shoots about 20'. it definetly will stop someone in their tracks.

PUG
09-11-2011, 12:21 PM
I carry a keltec pf-9. Always ready to go, wicked enough, and fits easily in front pant pocket at a reasonable price on line.

goodtruck
09-11-2011, 02:16 PM
Neat looking shotgun.I will stick with my S+W mod 500 with 500 gr hollow point.more hitting power longer range and 2 lbs lighter 10 inches shorter.Only downside is it only holds 5 rds,but if you need more your heart or your head is not in it.

porthole
10-28-2011, 08:24 AM
Anyone compare the judge to the governor?
S&W kicked t up with 6 rounds and choice of .410, 45 colt and 45 ACP, with 2 round clips.

Weatherby PA-459, soon

Borntowade
10-30-2011, 09:11 PM
Anyone compare the judge to the governor?
S&W kicked t up with 6 rounds and choice of .410, 45 colt and 45 ACP, with 2 round clips.

Weatherby PA-459, soon

Unfortunately The Governor only has the ability to load 2 1/2 in .410 shells. I prefer being able to have 5 000 buck pellets in mine. Having the extra round is cool, but if 5 is not enough it is better to run.

ParkIt
10-30-2011, 09:46 PM
Aw Dave, Just got the wife talked into a $300 Mossberg. Don't think she'll go for $800.
Got a chuckle out of me, I'm always the one trying to get DH to spend a bit more on 'home defense' (SPAS 15 when they are legal to buy is my dream, spent $700 on a SPAS 10 & 12). The Moss 500 is fine for me right now, 6 shells loaded are enough to get the job done and you only need to be able to hit the broad side of a barn to be effective. Prefer the 1lb more weight for recoil reduction and swap barrels and grips for hunting, fun and defense though haven't had to use it for the latter part and hope it never comes to that.

Had our local Sheriff comment on my load sequence, he thought it was great (amused the heck out of me!). I was raised with the difference between hunting and defense: shot, slug x4, shot for defense. When he asked I told him the scatter even at 50' or more is usually enough to chase someone off and if that doesn't work and you get buck fever, the last round with shot is going to be close range and do the job you'll need it to.
I guess one has to be strange enough to stay smart - at least that's what Grandpa used to say ;)

porthole
10-30-2011, 09:49 PM
Couldn't the same be said of 3 ounces versus 5 ounces?

traveler44
11-03-2011, 08:18 AM
Anybody hear of BEAR SPRAY if it will stop a charging bear it should stop about anything.

Jimmy
11-03-2011, 08:36 AM
Bears don't carry guns...

JohnDar
11-03-2011, 08:41 AM
Bears don't carry guns...

But their droppings do smell like pepper and ring like little bells if you move them. My take on personal defense is that if you choose to put me or mine in fear for our lives, your's is forfeit.

DirtRiderTN
11-04-2011, 07:45 PM
It would be irresponsible to take your family on a trip such as we all do and not have a firearm to protect them.
That is just my opinion. As was said early on...anyone who would look to do harm to my family deserves exactly what they get.

Wmnmy
11-11-2011, 03:10 PM
It would be irresponsible to take your family on a trip such as we all do and not have a firearm to protect them.
That is just my opinion. As was said early on...anyone who would look to do harm to my family deserves exactly what they get. I agree with you 100% and being prior military ,LEO ,hunter I'm a very good shot under pressure.

goldenbetty
11-11-2011, 10:11 PM
Yes indeed! We go to the shooting range once a month just to keep sharp! Can't be too careful these days. We both just received our concealed carry permits, and feel really good about that. Anyone approaches me with evil intent will be meeting his/her maker!!!!

JudyT
11-19-2011, 02:04 PM
I see bear spray has been mentioned on this thread. I have a caution regarding any aerosol repellent: know which way the wind is blowing before discharge. You may get a full or partial dose yourself and become incapacitated along with the scoundrel. If you can't see him, you can't shoot him. I say, stick with lethal projectiles and never surrender the element of surprise!

Borntowade
11-19-2011, 03:38 PM
Bear spray? Really? I would love to just what is the effective range of bear spray. OK maybe just the range because I cannot imagine this stuff being effective. A 600 pound and that is not a big one, bear coming on at full tilt and you plan to stop him with bear spray? No when I am in bear country it is the 500 Special. I do not intend to give up my pickinick basket, or life wither for that matter.

wdk450
11-19-2011, 10:28 PM
Bear spray? Really? I would love to just what is the effective range of bear spray. OK maybe just the range because I cannot imagine this stuff being effective. A 600 pound and that is not a big one, bear coming on at full tilt and you plan to stop him with bear spray? No when I am in bear country it is the 500 Special. I do not intend to give up my pickinick basket, or life wither for that matter.

I was thinking about defense too, but ruled out firearms for now as I have some depression issues.
The best Bear spray I saw shoots 35 feet.

jmgratz
11-20-2011, 09:16 PM
How about the personal Taser. They are now available from Taser corp.

Jimmy
11-22-2011, 01:06 PM
How about the personal Taser. They are now available from Taser corp.

I've rode the "Lightning" (Taser) and been "Pepper sprayed", They are both very effective if you don't want a Firearm.

rumaco
11-24-2011, 07:30 PM
My idea would get the bear and train it to do the job, also use the really big litter box! What do ya think?????

rumaco
11-24-2011, 07:32 PM
yes the TAZER really knocks the snot out of you (I also rode that monster) but attaching it to a bad guy is not as easy as you might think. Grab the wrist and turn it, well now you are going to get the volts. Also ever felt the spark plug shock..............wet your pants right there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rumaco
11-24-2011, 07:33 PM
pepper spray has zero affect on a person on PCP or Meth.................note to self!!!!! USE GUN AT THIS TIME>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Hastey
11-24-2011, 08:10 PM
The bad thing about a tazer is that if the bad guy has a weapon; bat, tire iron, knife, gun, etc, you have to get close.

jmgratz
11-24-2011, 09:45 PM
As a Taser Instructor I know how the Taser works (or might not). But in the hands of the properly trained it is an excellent non-lethal alternative. Center Mass put the dot where it is supposed to go and it will put you on the ground. Keep them there until the Calvary arrives that is if you can't, don't or won't use lethal force.

steiny93
03-16-2012, 11:09 AM
The issue I have with non lethal is the usage.

For instance; if you've committed to non lethal and a situation arrises where the other dude is using lethal you are likely screwed. (spray/taser vs. gun for example)
But if you have lethal and non lethal available (lets say on your person) and you opt for non lethal they haven't you exposed yourself to civil suits as by going non lethal you've already demonstrated that you viewed the risk in a less this high category?

Additionally the deterant with non lethal is questionable in my mind.
For example: if I'm at camp with my wife/daughter and 3 dudes with bats appear and they rush in. I pull out a gun and shoot the first 1; what do you think the other 2 are thinking (my guess is they are thinking; the bats were the wrong choice). Vs. if I whip out a taser and zap the first; my bet is the other two continue as the penalty for getting zapped isn't life altering.

"I get" the concept of non lethal; but in my world I'm not following when it would be applicable.

JohnDar
03-16-2012, 03:19 PM
And how good is the Taser against multiple attackers? While Dummy #1 is writhing on the ground, what defense do you have against Dummies #2 and #3?

jmgratz
03-17-2012, 01:53 PM
And how good is the Taser against multiple attackers? While Dummy #1 is writhing on the ground, what defense do you have against Dummies #2 and #3?

The Taser does have a contact stun also that can be used at the same time the probes are deployed. I will say if you are being overwhelmed by multiple attackers it most probably would be the time to escalate the use of force to a deadly force level.

bayhawk2
05-17-2012, 01:06 AM
Ok.Newbie here.Small Travel trailer,so my weapon of choice may sound
kind of weak.As I've responded on another similar thread?I stay in a
lot of RV parks where RV's..well..they're evrywhere around me.A large caliber
weapon,in my opinion,will go through many walls of RV's.So a missed
shot at an intruder could kill Mr. Smith and his lovely wife Ethel,3 RV's down the road.
Wouldn't want to do that.Just had burgers on the pit with them last night...:)..
I have many weapons to choose from in my arsonal.For the RV?I sometimes
keep a 9mm in a handy location.Ruger LC9.That is my favorite CCW. However,
my favorite for the Travel trailer?My JUDGE.Federal Handgun .410 ga. 000 buckshot.
Awesome short range power with that load.Tight group.Featured gun and load
on "The Best Defense"t.v. show.Bad to the bone out to about 12-15 yards then breaks
up rapidly.Ideal for RV use.Mine has a laser sight and it is
my weapon of choice.

readytohitheroad
05-17-2012, 04:16 PM
laser sights for a 15 yard shot???

JohnDar
05-17-2012, 04:31 PM

Depends on the iron sights on the weapon and how well you can see them in the dark (and your personal visual acuity). I've got a Keltec P-11 with white dot sights that are easy to see in low light, if I have my glasses on. My Ruger LCP sights aren't worth the metal they're made of, so I put a Crimson Trace on it. Considering a laser for the P-11, too. If nothing else, that red dot on some buttheads center mass might give them pause.

I wouldn't be shooting at 15 yards, anyways. That is at the limits for normal "self-defense" range and could get into criminal charges for the shooter.

bayhawk2
05-27-2012, 09:53 PM

Not even 15 yards.It would probably be more like
15 feet.Just sayin it holds a good pattern up to about 12 yards.
Laser sight?In dark places a laser is great.Where you can't
make out your iron sights.Shine one
around inside your RV,you'll see what I mean.After
all,a laser sight is for that purpose.Just sayin.

Hastey
05-27-2012, 11:15 PM
Ok.Newbie here.Small Travel trailer,so my weapon of choice may sound
kind of weak.As I've responded on another similar thread?I stay in a
lot of RV parks where RV's..well..they're evrywhere around me.A large caliber
weapon,in my opinion,will go through many walls of RV's.So a missed
shot at an intruder could kill Mr. Smith and his lovely wife Ethel,3 RV's down the road.
Wouldn't want to do that.Just had burgers on the pit with them last night...:)..
I have many weapons to choose from in my arsonal.For the RV?I sometimes
keep a 9mm in a handy location.Ruger LC9.That is my favorite CCW. However,
my favorite for the Travel trailer?My JUDGE.Federal Handgun .410 ga. 000 buckshot.
Awesome short range power with that load.Tight group.Featured gun and load
on "The Best Defense"t.v. show.Bad to the bone out to about 12-15 yards then breaks
up rapidly.Ideal for RV use.Mine has a laser sight and it is
my weapon of choice.

I've spoke of this before. A miss shot in a RV park could be very bad.

jmgratz
05-28-2012, 08:38 AM
I've spoke of this before. A miss shot in a RV park could be very bad.

A missed shot anywhere could be very bad. That is why you need to practice practice practice and don't take the shot unless you a positive you can make it.

doxiecouple
12-25-2012, 08:25 PM
Totally agree about a missed shot. Should someone be foolish enough to enter my rig, they will face three wild weiners who would convince them the error of their ways. Should the unauthorized entrant decide to stay, my next secret weapon would be low spread and to the point.

Tumble Weed
12-30-2012, 06:36 PM
This little 20 something year old lady 110 lbs 4Ď11ď, mad as a little wet hen.
She wasted and brought into our jail.
Long story short they decided she needed tazed. She blinked twice pulled out probes,
now she's really mad. So another officer decided to taze her, nada,
so they finally just charged her and took her down.
The Jail Gregg County TX policy, us tazer first don't fight with the customers
and less injurys to every one.
Why it didn't work we didn't know and I'M just relaying a story.
I still can see her standing there with her hands on her hips
in defiance and I canít repeat what she was saying though..

Just Don Just saying..

Tumble Weed
12-30-2012, 06:39 PM
Also alot of forum you can't talk about guns.
I asked a gun question and though I was going to get hung..
So thanks for this forum..

porthole
12-30-2012, 08:00 PM
Range time finally with a S&W Governor. This is destined to be the piece of choice for home and trailering.
HD will be loaded with the PDX 410 rounds. http://www.winchester.com/Products/New-Products/Pages/pdx1-410.aspx

I tried 4 different rounds, not something you get to typically do with a firearm. 45 Long Colt, 45 ACP, 410 PDX and 410 Winchester AA Target loads.
Recoil was about the same for all 4. The LC was dirty and smoky stuff. The PDX made a mess of the paper, sure seems to be an effective close range stopper.

45 ACP is what I had the most of with me, so revolver got a workout with it. To use the ACP rounds full and half moon clips are used. The 2 round clips are very easy to load and unload, the full moon were very difficult to unload the empties.

The attached target was after getting comfortable with the gun. Single action is very accurate. Double action, not too bad, just need some range time. Single handed is uncomfortable and hurts just a bit, I think the grip is a bit small.

There are 18 shots on this target. All the shots in the rings are at about 20', using the sights. The 4 in the white are double action. There are 2 more DA and 6 SA in the center black, quite pleased with that. The 6 shots on the 3 squares (2 each) are about 50', SA using the built in laser.

Birchwood
12-30-2012, 08:08 PM
Wow ,never knew I needed an untimate defense weapon for Rving??????

Borntowade
12-30-2012, 09:47 PM
Last I read The Governor .410 loads are 2 1/2 inch loads. I snake country I prefer the extra shot with the 3" loads I can use in The Judge. Both are versatile and pack a great punch at close range.

porthole
12-31-2012, 12:09 AM
Correct to the 2.5 - but - 1 extra round. They both have advantages. For me, 2.5 is available everywhere, not so much with 3".

Both revolvers are similar and I'm sure when the Judge came out someone said why didn't we think of that and lets go one step bigger.

Borntowade
12-31-2012, 12:12 AM
Agreed. My newest is the Raging Judge. It also shoots .454 casul loads. Now it is a bear gun also.

TXBobcat
12-31-2012, 09:57 AM
That is just my opinion. As was said early on...anyone who would look to do harm to my family deserves exactly what they get.

I don't carry a weapon with me and we fulltime. We are wanting to travel through out Canada and go to Alaska. I don't consider I am irresponsible. In the years I have been traveling I have never had to even think about carring a firearm. Now don't think I don't have weapons. I have traveled with a 380 Belgium Colt which was my uncle's WW2 service pistol. I bought me a Carriage shot gun a few years ago which I did carry for a couple of years. In 1983 I carried a friends sawed off shotgun (leagl length). I have Rimington 22 pump, 410, 12 gage pump, plus various others.

I find if you stay in places that are safe you should have no problem. Also like one lady on the Escapees forum when asking about carring a weapon, one of the posters just said he would step outside his RV and yell help and about 20 other campers would come out with various items of defence. I was raised in Wyoming which is a weapons friendly state and have been around hunters and LEO's all my life. I am a member of the NRA, was in the Navy and used various weapons and considered a marksman.

As I raised my daughter. Normally if you go to places where you can get into trouble you should expect to find it.

BC

Tumble Weed
01-01-2013, 09:58 PM
I think it's up to the individual to arm or not to arm
I do have a gun.

I also know most criminals arenít stupid and some stupid oneís
are still lucky, called dumb luck.
So even if you go to safe area side of town, your first night there
how will I know where that is?
They know where the easy targets are!
So RVíS are easy to break in, older targets for victims.
Easy target high reward. I know full timers have jewelry, money
and some electronic toys. Any one can break in your RV in minutes
And even if your there still more in likely get what they want.
If I shoot my gun it will only be in my RV(home), I wonít step
out and shoot. That makes me more liable.

Thinking someone is safe standing in a door screaming
for help, if sheís so lucky to be able to. Most likely,
what I have found out, some ones screaming in the door,
the crimes already done.

This is what I know.

jdfishing
01-01-2013, 11:00 PM
If anyone is considering buying one of those Kel Tec shotguns, you might want to do it sooner than later. If Senator Feinstein from CA. has her way, it will become illegal based on several of its features. She is introducing her new legislation in January.

dave10a
01-28-2013, 11:19 AM
How many folks have actually needed a fire arm for their RV while camping? I have Camped for the last 50 years and have never felt the need for protection. However I do carry a 44 mag pistol while fishing in the back woods to scare cougars or bears off when they feel I am invading their turf.

lwmcguir
01-31-2013, 05:25 PM
How many folks have actually needed a fire arm for their RV while camping? I have Camped for the last 50 years and have never felt the need for protection. However I do carry a 44 mag pistol while fishing in the back woods to scare cougars or bears off when they feel I am invading their turf. The fact that many if not most folks do have some type protection does help deter would be robbers and muggers. Having your 44 along when in the outback is something most of us do and has to again help keep some one from making a poor decision. There is a reason that the serious crime rates are higher where most folks are unarmed.

JanAndBill
01-31-2013, 05:53 PM
Normally if you go to places where you can get into trouble you should expect to find it.

As I sit and reflect on years past, I would have to agree that the times I did get in any serious "trouble" were in most case places I shouldn't have been in the first place. Being young and foolish can get you in a lot of "trouble". Now that I'm older I know better (I hope). The trouble is that today there are more crimes of opportunity or chance encounters taking place. Being in a so called "safe" place while still better than the alternative, is no longer a guarantee that you will remain safe. Times have forever changed when your children can't be safe in their school, or movie patrons at the local theater, or walking in the mall. I own several guns, and intend to protect my family if the need arises.

jayc
02-01-2013, 08:58 AM
To me, a gun is like a parachute. If you need one badly and don't have one, you probably will not need one ever again.

davebennington
02-01-2013, 09:39 AM
Jay,

I agree with you we carry a fire extinguisher in the trailer. I hope we never need it but it is there if we do.

dave

jimtoo
02-02-2013, 12:04 PM
We are getting away from main subject.

Jim M