2011 , 3500 gmc srw cc sb

Ernhrt398

I was wondering do you think I will need to add an air bag system on my truck pulling a
2011 3450 Big Country. My last truck was a 2007 Dodge Mega Cab 2500 and the rubber bumpers were only an inch off the rear axle so I had air bags put on. I am hoping with the new 2011 3500 GMC I won't have to add the air bags.

danemayer

We have a 2011 GMC 3500 srw cc longbed 4x4 diesel pulling a 39 foot Landmark. Pin weight is spec'd at 2620 (before the generator, the washer/dryer, and before all the stuff in the basement). I haven't inspected the rear axle for loaded clearances, but we haven't had any problems - no handling problems, no noises, no reason to suspect a problem. The payload spec for our truck is 4085. The short bed is spec'd at 4165.

While shopping trucks, I noticed that the 2010 Dodge 2500 SRW had a payload spec of less than 2500# and the 3500 was only 2720#. If your 2007 was the same way, I'm not surprised it needed airbags.

mikeandconnie

I'm connecting my 2011 3500 srw cc sb for the first time tomorrow on a 2009 Landmark Pinhurst (16500 GVWR), I will post a pic of the bumper stop in the next few days for you.. However, "nock on wood", It's should work fine, The owner manuals states max Hitch weight 3500 lbs. Max Payload on the door 4000lbs..I also looked at the Mega Cab, it had a very low Pin weight load and would not work for my Pinhurst.
I like to add, I just drove it 2000 miles in 2 days unloaded.. New Orleans to Ventura, Ca. I10.. What a wonderfull ride for a one Ton, I had no problem sitting in the seat for 15 hours a day drive.
Mike

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
When I got my 2009 GMC 3500HD, I didn't want to fuss with airbags, so I mounted Timbrens on it. No problems.

Jellystone

We have a 2011 GMC 3500 srw cc longbed 4x4 diesel pulling a 39 foot Landmark. Pin weight is spec'd at 2620 (before the generator, the washer/dryer, and before all the stuff in the basement). I haven't inspected the rear axle for loaded clearances, but we haven't had any problems - no handling problems, no noises, no reason to suspect a problem. The payload spec for our truck is 4085. The short bed is spec'd at 4165.

While shopping trucks, I noticed that the 2010 Dodge 2500 SRW had a payload spec of less than 2500# and the 3500 was only 2720#. If your 2007 was the same way, I'm not surprised it needed airbags.

Just to set the record straight, according to the published Dodge payload ratings-- 2010/2011 Dodge Ram 2500 payload capacity is up to #3,160. 2010/2011 Dodge Ram 3500 payload capacity is up to #5,130.

I'm not trying to start the Dodge/Chevy/Ford thing, i'm just giving the accurate numbers from the manufacturer.

danemayer

The Dodge marketing materials are written very cleverly to highlight the maximum capability, which applies only to the DRW. The SRW numbers are very hard to find, but keep looking and eventually you'll find they are much, much lower. I've checked as recently as a couple of weeks ago.

Jellystone

2500's don't come in DRW in the Dodge lineup.-- But anyway, each individual buyer has plenty of great choices in a tow vehicle from "The Big 3".

mikeandconnie

Hi, I just connected to my landmark, My rig is 1 inch nose down and I have 7 1/2 cleanance on the bed rails, plenty of clearancee from the bumper stop. I will measure it soon, it's raining here now. However, On a big note,,, I tryed to move my neighbors 2011 Montana 3450 and my truck is way too high, when the Montana is level, My bed rails will hit . Make sure you check this against the Big Horn..
Mike

Last edited:

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Mike, sounds like you really don't have a problem. The only thing I would check is that the 5'er is level when hooked up. If it is....go for it and see how it does before you add airbags. If it bottoms out then add them.