Mud Daubers

GOTTOYS

I have no experience with Mud Daubers. I will be traveling in several more southerly States this Summer. So far I have installed the screen kit over the exhaust of my furnace and water heater. But there is a set of louvers that are also on the cover for my water heater and there is no screen for those. Wouldn't it make sense to attach a screen on the inside of those as well? I assume that is an intake for combustion air. I also have an intake and exhaust for my Dometic fridge on the side of my slide. I tried the "Fits any refrigerator" Camco screen kit for those and while it would fit my neighbors Norcold...wasn't even close for the Dometic. Can I attach some screen on the inside of the cover for the fridge and do I need to cover both the intake and exhaust sides? Have I missed anything? Thanks for your advice...Don

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Don, you know the screens they put over 4 poster beds to keep bugs out?? Well get one big enought to cover the BC. You could also get a bee keepers hat. ROTFLOL.........sorry Don.....couldn't resist.

GOTTOYS

Don, you know the screens they put over 4 poster beds to keep bugs out?? Well get one big enought to cover the BC. You could also get a bee keepers hat. ROTFLOL.........sorry Don.....couldn't resist.

Great idea to cover the whole trailer...but, do you think the hat might make my butt look too big??...Don

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Probably...but you look good in pink. Just a little too much make-up and you forgot to powder your nose.

hoefler

I have the screens for the access door to the fridge, but could not find them for the vents on each side of the door. I removed the whole assembly, cut fiberglass screen to the approximate size, laid a bead of caulk all the way around the side vents on the back side, then pushed the screen into the caulk and let set up. After the caulk cured, I trimmed the excess and reinstalled the vent assembly. I also did the inside of the water heater door where the louvers are.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
How about going to a GI Supply store and picking up one of those insect nets. You could cot and attach that. It is a cloth material and does not add any weight. You get a large amount of it and would go along ways.

navyAZ1

I bought the factory made screens for the furnace and the water heater (suburban water heater was hard to find). For the refrigerator panel tho I just used screen wire and used hot glue to hold it in place from the back side it works great. I just cut a hole in the screen wire to allow the drain hose to protrude thru and that was it. You also need to keep an eye on your A/C's a couple of times a year as those little rascals will build in there also and throw you fan out of balance.

GOTTOYS

Thanks for the ideas. I might have to pass on the full cover and hat that Bob suggested...I tried the hat on today and it really does make my butt look too big...on the other hand, so does eating all those pies, pizzas and cheeseburgers...I just love this forum.....Don

KENNY COCHRAN

MCNEESE STATE COWBOYS #1
I SEE YOU ARE FROM WAY UP NORTH. BETTER BRING A GUN IF YOU COME TO SOUTH LOUISIANA TO SHOOT THOSE MOSQUITOES AS THEY ARE HUGE. THE MOSQUITOES ARE SO BIG HERE THEY EAT THE DIRT DAUBERS AND WASPS FOR SNACKS. I'VE SEEN 3-4 MOSQUITOES FLYING OFF WITH SMALL CATS AND DOGS BRINGING THEM BACK TO THE SWAMP FOR SUPPER. I'M NOT JOKING EITHER. ALSO CHECK OUT "LOVEBUGS", IF YOU HAVE NEVER SEEN THEM, COME ON DOWN SOUTH AND ENJOY THE MATING SEASON. WASH THEM OFF YOUR CAR/RV SOON AS YOU CAN. PUT A COAT OF WAX ON THE FRONT OF YOUR RV AND CAR TO MAKE IT EASIER TO CLEAN THEM. CHECK THEM OUT HERE: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lovebug

THE SCREENS OVER THE HEATER EXHAUST ARE REQUIRED "IF" YOU ARE GOING TO BE IN ONE PLACE FOR A WHILE. AS TO THE FRIDGE VENTS, NOBODY I KNOW EVER PUTS SCREENS ON THEM.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Don, I'm paranoid about those things, or wasps are also prevalent here in Texas. I added the premade screens for the heater and fridge vents, but cut some lightweight window screen to fit the water heater vent. I am considering adding to the AC too. I also added screen to the vent for the battery compartment. I'm sure there are lots of other openings!!! I just hope we move the trailer enough to keep them from getting to comfy.

sdrubrecht

Another option, with or without the screens, is to put dog flea collars into the spaces. Various bugs might come in to set up house but they dont last long. Where we keep our clone there's lots of black widows. I hate those surprises when ckecking something in the middle of the night. Seems to work for us.

SLJKansas

SLJKansas