Is the TRAILER to much for the TRUCK !!!

MACDAV

Hi Folks - first post and great to be on the site !!

I currently own a 09 2500 Duramax and have a 285BH (half-ton towable 7,000lb. fifth wheel) I am seriously considering buying the new Sundance 3300CK which is 11,100lbs. shipping weight (37'). Is the trailer to much for the truck. Chev says 14,000 is what i can haul but I am getting mixed reviews from the internet. It has a hitch weight of 2160lbs. I realize an extra spring would "level" out the rig and will do that for sure !!

Any input would be great - what are you folks hauling for rigs !!!
Thanks in advance :confused:

jimtoo

Hi MACDAV,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and hopefully to the family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

I think you would be fine with your rig. I'm sure some others will jump in and give their opinion also.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

Splash

I have the 3300CK and tow with a 06 Chevrolet CC Duramax 4x4 and have had no problems. Unless the freshwater tank is full there is noticeable difference in "levelness". We have about 1600 miles logged so far on this rig. The only thing I plan on doing is adding airbags to stiffen up the ride and hopefully smooth out the ride on washboard roads.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Here we go again... My suggestion is to look at your weight rating on your truck and the trailer. If the weight rating of the trailer exceed those of the truck then you could have problems even though you might 'get by' for now. BTW this subject has been done to death on the forum. Please use the search button to search weight rating and tow vehicle carrying capacities.

GOTTOYS

14,000# Capacity, Trailer weighs 11,000 plus. Don't see a problem...I wouldn't add a spring until you get it all put together and see how level it sits. If you need to level it I would add a set of airbags. Easy to install, not expensive and give a nice ride. Air bags will not increase the load carrying capacity. Hook that bad boy up and head down the road!...Don

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
You current truck is fine. Look in the owners manual. It should say that your GCVW rating is 22K. Your truck should weigh about #7400+/- + #14K trailer. That equals about #21,400 if fully loaded to capacity. Your good to go. Get a hitch rated more than the gross weight of the trailer, 16K would work. I installed "Timbrens" on the rear suspension and they work great. You could go with air bags....your choice. My 07 2500 sets level when 5er is hooked up. Good luck on your choice.

wyleyrabbit

When you say that "Chevy says 14,000 lbs" are you sure? That does not seem right for an '09 2500. What does the placard on your door say?

I believe the '09 2500 is rated for 12,500 max 5th wheel weight, and a payload of 3,031 lbs. Payload is you and your passengers, your fuel, your hitch, and the pin of the trailer. I think it's going to be very close, likely over.

Cheers

MACDAV

Thanks for all your quick responses !! the info is great. I will do a search on this site about weights and i was mainly looking for some "real - life" experiences. The trailer rating for my truck is 13,900 and we never haul water with the camping we do. The scales showed my truck at 7,600lbs. (full of fuel, family loaded - even the dog - after she ate her bone!). 22,000 GVWR !!!

Thanks again - great site and info - never new it existed !

wyleyrabbit

Macdav,

We're glad you finally discovered this site. I have found it to be an invaluable source of tips, troubleshooting help, and expertise on an unbelievable number of subjects. Also, great information on useful mods that people are making to their units to improve upon them...beware though, mods are addictive. :)

Cheers!

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Wyley, My owners manual states that the GCVW rating is 22K. Truck, trailer and all the junk we carry. I axled out the rig at a Cat Scale. and I am good to go. I did install the 265's to increase the tire load, not truck load, rating.

6.7powerstroke

Macdav,

We're glad you finally discovered this site. I have found it to be an invaluable source of tips, troubleshooting help, and expertise on an unbelievable number of subjects. Also, great information on useful mods that people are making to their units to improve upon them...beware though, mods are addictive. :)

Cheers!

Wyley
One more thing to remember. You can't exceed the GVWR of the TV or the GCWR of the TV and trailer. As a rule of thumb, 3/4 ton trucks never have to be concerned with the GCWR on a fith wheel, they will exceed the GVWR of the truck due to pin weight long before they exceed the GCWR. For 1 ton trucks, it is really a toss up. The extra payload capacity will help a tremendous amount. From an overloaded point of view though, exceed either and you are technically overloaded. Also, don't pay attention to the posted trailer towing ratings from the manfacturers, they are misleading at best and not legally binding like a GCWR or GVWR. Only way to really tell is a scale. Good luck!

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
This is why I put a moratorium on doing any TV posts. (BY the way, this is not a TV post). LOL

Last edited by a moderator:

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I agree it is getting to be too much when every couple of days someone asks if their truck can tow their RV. Come on and think a little. I am not criticizing the op because there is probably a real concern. But how many times has this been asked and answered. The post then always seen to digress to Chevy versus Ford versus Dodge versus 3/4 ton versus 1 ton versus dually versus single. The whole bottom line is to look at the weight of the rig and weight rating of the truck and do the math. No wishful thinking or additional springs, air bags or Timbrens etc can change what the manufacturers have determined to be the safe weights. I have said enough on this subject.

caissiel

Come on now
Most truck are rated for the amout of trailer it can pull by the rate of heat the system can desipate. Thats why the gvwr for all 3 manufacturers are fairly equal for the same engine and powertrain.

rick_debbie_gallant

My turn. The biggest factor in all of this are 4 people. The TV driver and his co-pilot and the other driver and their co-pilot! Oh yeah, dont forget the driving conditions, the drivers ability to drive etc. etc.

We pulled a BH 3670RL with a 3/4 Dodge and had zero trouble. A friend of mine is pulling a Landmark Rushmore with a 3/4 GMC and he has had no problemo's (yet. We go back and forth between who has the better truck. Of course we all know it is the Dodge.

Last edited by a moderator:

caissiel

I had a GM 3/4 Ton that could hold the load much better than my Ford 3/4 Ton but it was also 1000 Lbs lighter. The heavy Fords do carry less load but are much heavier build and rugged to hold the loads of heavy 5th wheels. Less the rear brakes the Ford is much more comfortable towing the heavy 5th wheel then the lighter GM, but that is only my experience I had great service out of the GM as much as the Ford.

lwmcguir

The ability to stop the Coach or trailer by the towed units brakes is the most serious item of any towing situation. I hear and see folks out there without proper brake controls or set up improperly. The TV isn't intended to stop the trailer by itself. We always seem to forget some of the important items. Being off a few hundred pounds or even a thousand or two as long as you have tires/wheels for the load really isn't important. Stopping safely and stability are what is important no mater what you are towing with and what is behind you. If you are good on both of these items enjoy and don't worry so much.

MACDAV

Once again i sincerely thank the fellow campers for helping me in my situation. I have a 4,000 lb lighter fifth wheel now and was just inquiring about a much larger coach. I apologize for beating the topic to death but if you may notice "THIS WAS MY FIRST POST and was unaware that i was beating anything to death. " if you dont want to answer the post - type nothing and move on - sorry for consuming your time !!

1st post and maybe the last !!!