Finally! Picking up 3612 on Saturday , need some opinions/advice ASAP

Well, it finally happened, got the bigger truck (F350 dually) and worked out a deal with local dealer that I am happy with. Hopefully picking up unit on Saturday.

What I need is opinion/advice on using gooseneck adapter versus 5th wheel hitch. I really do not want all the stuff in the back of my tuck, need to be able to load motorcyle and truck is already equiped with gooseneck setup. Also, I am only 5 ft tall/125 lbs so moving the big hitch would be hard.

Any opinions /advice would be welcome. recomendation of particular products would be helpful.

Thanks
Tracey

jbeletti

Tracey,

Wow - new RV and new truck - congrats and welcome to the Heartland family!

Say, the gooseneck adapter is going to be a "no go" as your RV frame is not designed for the stresses the gooseneck adapter may induce into it. Consider either a B&W Turnover Ball System and the Companion 5th Wheel Hitch, or a more conventional 5th wheel hitch that when removed, leaves a clean bed (Reese Powerpuck I think).

Happy camping!

Jim

caissiel

I get scared everytime I see a 5er setup with the gooseneck. My previous SOB pin support broke and it was with improper manufacturing procedure. The goose neck adds about 300% more stress to the pinbox attachment.

I broke down on the way to Florida in 2006 and the tow truck called a truck equiped with the Gooseneck attachement on his truck and I tried to refuse the tow and asked for a better truck, it was just on the next trip that I noticed my 5th wheel pin was moving to much, Repaired and replaced a magor beam on the trailer that was bent. I had the trailer for 12 years before with no problems.

Perfect ! thasnks, I already have the gooseneck ball in the truck so I will just do the B&W compaion and will have the best of both worlds!

xcflyn

probably too late on this. But hopefully you installed the B&W on yourself or have a "qualified" dealer you know and trust. I work camp and a few weeks ago I was talking to a guy about his rig when I noticed how close it was to his truck. Long story short, both back corners of his truck were were crinkled, not cab corners, back tail light corners. I did a little research for him, and found his hitch (which he paid $1100 to have installed- Goose neck ball already in truck !!!) was not only set up wrong but in completely backwards ! I know this sounds crazy, but I seen it and helped correct it. I was not impressed with the need of a torque wrench every time you install it, or the effort required. But I am impressed with the unit, how well it was made, and how adjustable it was. Not trying to turn this into a hitch thread, just saying be careful on how its installed, hate to read you did some damage to your new truck or coach.
Congrats on the new unit(s). You have money well spent with heartland, they make a great product and stand behind it in the event you do have any problems.

Mike Aplin

Well, it finally happened, got the bigger truck (F350 dually) and worked out a deal with local dealer that I am happy with. Hopefully picking up unit on Saturday.

What I need is opinion/advice on using gooseneck adapter versus 5th wheel hitch. I really do not want all the stuff in the back of my tuck, need to be able to load motorcyle and truck is already equiped with gooseneck setup. Also, I am only 5 ft tall/125 lbs so moving the big hitch would be hard.

Any opinions /advice would be welcome. recomendation of particular products would be helpful.

Thanks
Tracey
The gooseneck hitch WILL void your frame warranty on your unit. The B&W companion hitch is a very good hitch and I know that they make several hitches that you will not have to leave it installed in the back of your truck. Congratulations on your new 3612 Cyclone and welcome to the family!! Thanks, Mike :cool:

sdrubrecht

Dont know how the BW companion attaches to the goosneck, but when I have to remove my husky fifth wheel hitch, I leave it hooked up to the Cyclone, pull the 4 pins that hold it to the bedrails, and lift it off attached to the Cyclone. Really easy and no heavy lifting. It just stays on the clone till we are ready to go again. Maybe that will work for you.
Congrats on your new Cyclone and TV.