motorcycle trailer

l51henryj

can anyone out there tell me if it's ok to tow out east behind my 05 grandcanyon i'm getting a new motorcycle trailer built that is connected to frame of the trailer. it has two reciver tube were trailer connect to, I heard it's ok because it's part of the fifth wheel. I'm looking for any info. on it from anyone out there. Forgive my spelling I'm new at this i'm not the greatest speller. Thank you all from 51 henryj

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Are you talking about a carrier that attaches to the fiver in two receiver tubes at the rear of the coach?
If the "platform" does not pivot then it is not considered to be a trailer, but rather a large cargo carrier with a tag wheel. (or wheels).
I have been told by mfgrs of this type of carrier that they are legal in most, if not all states.

Here is a link to a mfgr that I have talked to. Of course they have a disclaimer saying check local laws.

http://toy-tote.com/

I talked to one guy who said he was stopped because the CHP thought it was a trailer. After the officer radioed in, he found it was not and was let go.

caissiel

There is a neighbor from Indiana here in the Campground here in Florida that has to take his motorcycles to Georgia and come back to Florida to pickup his 5th wheel RV and attach this trailer type in Georgia. He was told that he cannot tow that type of trailer in Florida, the only state banning it. They clame its not the ball things its still considered and additional trailer. I realy don't understand their thinking. This Guy knows someone who was charge for doing so though.

Someone else might clarify on this but officers are charging for any foolish things these days, to raise more funds I was told. I pulled a car on all fours for years behind my 5th wheels with no problem everywhere in the eastern states and Canada but now no way I would do it

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
It's probably a crap shoot about what is and is not legal. Is it a trailer or is it not a trailer. 1 county mountie might cite you and one will not. Good luck on this. But I'm alot more interested in the 51 Henry J ...so "splane Lucy".