DEF/Urea thread closed - why

porthole

Retired
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> GMC 2011 Urea Tank Problems -- They do exist!

Thread closed??
Saw no reason for it.

There was no banter that justified the subject been closed, and in actuality the subject is of interest to more then just people that have GM products. The DEF / Urea will be the future for sometime.

GM and Ford pickup trucks use it and Dodge will be soon enough.
Many heavy duty trucks are already using it and that is the reason we will eventually be seeing more DEF pumps at the service islands.

I just re-read the thread and find nothing that should cause an immediate shutdown.

Reading it again did cause me to at least look up why the "Fiat" name may have come up. And for those who might be interested it has to do with Fiat buying a 20% share of Chrysler. A typical union that allows both manufactures to share in each others networks and technology. And certainly not the first time Chrysler has reached out globally in that manner.

So if posts 11, 13 and 14 were considered “over the top”, which they were not, then maybe a little “hey – lets try and keep it on track” would have been in order.

Certainly referring to Fiat and Dodge in the same sentence has some validity.

Now had the simple “why was it closed” been answered maybe it would make sense, but sometimes silence is deafening.

Keeping things on track is one thing, derailing them is another.

And I did ask this privately, 2 days ago

And in the end – there is no valid reason.

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.ph...They-do-exist!?p=167541&viewfull=1#post167541

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
I kinda felt the same way. I did not perceive any of the banter as bad or not necessary. Maybe there was something else going on we haven't seen though.

6.7powerstroke

Excellent post. I agree, didn't see anything personal or grumpy in there. The reason I bring up the Fiat comparison is I think it is very important to know where your money goes. I work very hard for it and want to support companies that are US based as much as I can. I purchased a new Volvo for my wife every three years. Now that they are Chinese owned? No more Volvos. Not comparing China to Italy, but it is still important to know where your money goes. Here are the specifics on the Fiat/Chrysler deal. Pretty interesting stuff.

OWNERSHIP STRUCTURE
* Fiat will initially hold a 20 percent ownership stake in the new Chrysler.
* Fiat's ownership stake will increase to 35 percent in three increments as it meets the following criteria: 5 percent for bringing a 40 mpg vehicle platform to Chrysler to be produced in the United States; 5 percent for providing a fuel-efficient engine family to be produced in the United States for use in Chrysler vehicles, and 5 percent for providing Chrysler with access to its global distribution network to export Chrysler vehicles. (Each of the 5 percent increments will be held in trust until Fiat is able to claim them.)
* Fiat will be granted an option to acquire an additional 16 percent shareholding that will bring its total ownership stake to 51 percent.
* The option, exercisable from Jan. 1, 2013, until June 30, 2016, will allow Fiat to raise its shareholding to 49 percent once outstanding U.S. Treasury loans have fallen to $3 billion or less. When all U.S. government loans have been repaid, Fiat will be able to take a full 51 percent stake.
* The United Auto Workers union retiree healthcare trust, Voluntary Employee Benefit Association, will own 55 percent of the new company.
* The U.S. Treasury and the Canadian Government will collectively hold a 10 percent equity interest.

As for the Urea, you are spot on. It is the default technology. Simple, inexpensive, effective and widely available. It has been in Europe for years, and factories use it on their smoke stacks. BMW, Benz, VW use it as Bluetec, TDI, etc. I have personally had no issues with mine, even in very cold climates. I do believe there have been some issues, it is new to the big three. Fiat does use it on all of their cab and chassis configurations too.

porthole

Retired
Well after almost 3800 miles I am liking the new emissions. The truck runs great, the power is great, the economy is OK and my tailpipe is still shiny on the inside.

I am looking forward to not having to scrub the soot off the side of the Cyclone after every trip.

I am staying on top of DEF issues whether they are Ford (there are a few) or GM with the new update being to disable the system.

And the only reason there is a new thread on this subject is because PM's went unanswered.

Last edited:

boatdoc

I also thought the same about that thread and feel one mod likes the feel of a delete key or close this thread key.

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
I also thought the same about that thread and feel one mod likes the feel of a delete key or close this thread key.

Hey Gary,
I don't think we need to be like that. The moderators here do a great job and I for one like that we have such a great group of people on here.

Mark

TXBobcat

Fulltime

I understand that some are concerned about the thread being closed. I am not trying to start a problem, but the moderator's on this forum are normally very tolerant and considerate.

Our Moderators are honorable people and have to use their concern for everyone and the forum. We normally can express our concerns without being beaten over the head. Yes maybe the moderator was a bit quick to close the thread, but comments above are what cause descension. I personally know the moderator and find him to be highly fair and honorable. This was not deserved and is not in the best intrest of this forum.

We do not want to drop to the level of other forums, so I would like to see this action take place some where else.

We are all friends on this forum, lets keep it that way. I have had posts deleted when enjoying friendly debate. Don't get up set. It is only a bump in life.

I am a Thumper follower: If you can't say nothing nice don't say nothing at all.
I watch the movies with my grandkids... :D

I am learning about DEF/Urea. I may be in the market for a new TV in the future and would like all the information concerning this issue.

Thats how I feel.
Flame away.
BC

boatdoc

Hey Gary,
I don't think we need to be like that. The moderators here do a great job and I for one like that we have such a great group of people on here.

Mark

After re-reading my post several times I fail to see where I said the mods don't do a good job on this forum. I voiced my opinion and as has happened a couple times before, people are upset. I saw NO reason to close the thread we all are talking about, the DEF/urea thread. Now I get thrown in the boiling water pot. I've been a member of this forum for many years and two times I mention some mods quick key finger I get scolded. I don't know who's thin skinned, myself or others on here.
Once again, like last time I voiced my opinion, I'm sorry I mentioned anything about a any mod, untill the next time I do it.

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
Not going to flame either one of of you guys. You both have been here longer than me and I enjoy reading the posts from both of you.

I do think the mods have a HUGE job keeping this forum an enjoyable place. I appreciate the work that they do as I know both of you guys do.

The fact of the matter is this forum is not a democracy. The mods were "hired" to do a job and use their best judgement in doing that job and do not owe an explanation to any one but their boss.

On a different note, I would like to learn more about "real life" UREA systems.

Northern Virginia
I don't want to jump on the mod that closed that thread but when it was closed, I could not understand why.

Did seem a little premature to me too. I know I have been warned a few times and usually straighten right up ;)

John