Warming up

kb0zke

Even though a snow flurry is possible tonight and tomorrow night, the weather is definitely getting warmer, and that means that it will soon be time to fill the water tanks in the 181. The dealer winterized it when we took possession in December, so now we need to reverse the process. What to do? Do I just hook up the water hose, open all the faucets, and start filling? The owner's manual isn't a lot of help.

GOTTOYS

Not that complicated. Pull off the access panel to the water heater and check to see if the anode rod/drain is installed and tight. Put the water heater bypass into the Summer mode. (Center valve closed, two outer valves open to allow water to flow into and out of water heater. Connect to city water source using a regulator to keep from blowing the lines off. Turn on the city water and open the faucets and let it run til it comes out clear. Open the drain for the fresh water tank. Leave it open and run some fresh water into the tank to flush it out. Close the fresh water tank drain. Run a few more gallons into the fresh water tank. With the city water source disconnected, turn on your pump and flush the faucets again. This will get any anti-freeze out of the pump. Close everything up and you're good to go. Happy camping!...Don

kb0zke

Thanks! As soon as the ground dries out a bit I'll hook up and pull over to the wellhouse and hook up the hose. That will also give me a bit of practice in backing up.

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
Even though a snow flurry is possible tonight and tomorrow night, the weather is definitely getting warmer, and that means that it will soon be time to fill the water tanks in the 181. The dealer winterized it when we took possession in December, so now we need to reverse the process. What to do? Do I just hook up the water hose, open all the faucets, and start filling? The owner's manual isn't a lot of help.

As you are an Owners Club Member, you must have gotten a link to the Heartland Highlights Magazine. There is an article in the the Q-2 April, 2011 issue about how to safely sanitize your fresh water system. That may help you in your quest if you find sanitizing the system important.