RM1350 - Frost buildup in freezer - what the "potential fix" was.

jbeletti

I noticed from day one that my refer's freezer compartment was building frost at a rate that was "more than usual". I also noticed that the left freezer door seems to close tighter that the right door. Not harder to close, just that it was closed or sealed tighter.

Defrosted refer, returned to factory for small punch list and Bill's RV, a local servicer in Elkhart looked at it.

The dollar bill test is real! Some have said this method is a myth or never used. Well, I witnessed the tech folding a crisp 1 dollar bill in half and using it all aroud the left freezer door to check the consistency of the seal.

Turns out that the seal had a small deformation in it that made it lay flatter in the recess that holds it. The tech had just replaced an RM1350 freezer door for another one of his customers that day and swapped my seal for theirs. Viola! Seal fits perfectly.

I am 'hoping" this was the fix. We will find out next week when I return to the RV to load it up for Leg 2 of Jim's Big Adventure 2011. I'll report back here if that was the fix.

Jim

Last edited:

porthole

Retired
"Back in the day" when I was a Chrysler tech, we used the dollar bill all the time on door seals.
And let me tell ya - we used a lot of dollar bills back then!

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Hey Jim,
I seem to remember that on your older demo coach that the icemaker was not mounted far enough to the back of the unit therefore not letting the door close completely. I remember this specifically because I helped a fellow with a Cyclone that had the very same problem.

Good luck,
Mark

sgtbigb

Hum, I have the same problem, however the frost build up is on the left side of the freezer. The build up is at the top front of the freezer. I guess I will have check this ou.

jbeletti

Hey Jim,
I seem to remember that on your older demo coach that the icemaker was not mounted far enough to the back of the unit therefore not letting the door close completely. I remember this specifically because I helped a fellow with a Cyclone that had the very same problem.

Good luck,
Mark

Hi Mark,

That's what's great about the forum, even if one chooses only to be a reader and not a contributor. There's a lot of us willing to share our trailer trials and fixes with the group so we can all learn, then share with others in our travels, at rallies, around campfires etc. Love it. Thank you for being a sharer :)

Jim

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
We Have the NDR 1292 in our Landmark with icemaker. For the last couple of seasons we have had an ice cicle form in the middle,on the top at the front of the freezer.After a few weeks the ice cicle grows to about 2 inches long.It hasn't always done this.I guess I need to do the dollar bill test also.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Well, that's another trick I've learned for using a dollar bill. And here I thought I was good rolling one into a tube and sticking it in the bridge of my glasses when the dancer came my way.:cool: