Need to repair rubber roof??

patrick1945

While cleaning my roof yesterday I noticed that a screw was working it's way through the rubber roof on the outside of the living room slide. I would not have noticed the screw were it not a little rusty. Which to me means that moisture was (or is) present.

My plan of attack is to make a small incision and (1) remove the screw. I do not know if I have a (2) replacement screw or if I need replace it at all. (3) Clean the surface with something. (4) Then I will put caulk or a piece of the tape over the area.

I want to take the correct action and not waste any more $ than necessary. Whatever I buy will be dried out when/if I need to make a repair again.

thoughts?

jbeletti

So you are saying you can see a rusty screw through the rubber roof membrane?

I'd say, if it's backing out and you fear it will penetrate the membrane, your fix process sounds viable.

Clean it before you cut into it. Clean with Dawn liquid detergent and water. Rinse, dry thoroughly.

If you can get a tube of it at Camping World or similar, use Dicor Lap Sealant to seal the incision.

I recently drilled a bunch of holes in my roof and didn't have any Lap Sealant, so I used a tube of white Silicone Rubber.

Jim

jnbhobe

The other way to fix it is to use a piece of eternalbond. That is a clean, press and stick fix

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Yes, I like Jon's idea. The Eternabond will reinforce the area as well as seal it. I've seen small repair kits at Walmart. If you remove the screw, I also think you should replace it or maybe just tighten it back down.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I agree that the Eternabond is the answer. I had a staple working its way through the roof membrane on my last rig. A piece of Eternabond over it and it was there three years, and I am sure that it is still in place for its current owner.

Peace
Dave

ihsolutions

One more vote for Eternabond.

I've read countless places never to use silicone on an RV exterior. The UV breaks it down or something, or maybe it's not flexible enough, and it will leak pretty quickly..

jbeletti

Wow - good thing for me this wasn't a poll. I'm getting buried here :) Eternabond for every one :) Seriously though - thanks everyone for sharing with Patrick, what you feel he should use.

Wish I had an Eternabond patch kit - that's stuff is $$$. I always have silicone rubber in a tube though. Semi-related though, I'm gonna hunt me down some Dicor Lap Sealant for sure - always drilling holes in the roof and that will come in handy.

Jim

DougLynne

retired Alberta Chapter Leaders
Patrick, your solution is exactly what my dealer did when I had a screw poking up. Hadn't heard of the Eternabond until recently. Haven't seen it at any of the dealers I've been at so will continue to look for it on my travels.../Doug

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader
You should see the small rolls of Eternabond just about everywhere soon. The manufacturer just recently came out with those small rolls in a promo pack that was a good deal for most RV parts places. I know we just got a bucket of them, and availability should be better across the country.

patrick1945

I purchased a small roll of Eternabond at Amazon and it worked great. It also worked great in making a small repair and some reinforcement on my air conditioner cover. I am sure that I will think of some more applications..... thank you!