Thoughts on JT Strongarms?

ihsolutions

I have a 2011 Big Horn 3670RL. This coach has hydraulic front landing gear. I have noticed that, with this landing gear, there seems to be considerably less "shake" than there was with my previous SOB fifth wheel which had electric landing gear.

Does anyone with a similar rig have any feedback on the improvement in motion/shaking felt by installing these products on the front and/or rear of their coach?

jnbhobe

I think the JT's are worth every penny of their cost, I even left them on the rear after I got the Level-Up.

ihsolutions

Thanks. I'm a little confused, is the set four all four corners of the RV (front jacks and rear stabilizers) or do I need to purchase two sets to do all four corners. Is it necessary for the rear?

jnbhobe

Thanks. I'm a little confused, is the set four all four corners of the RV (front jacks and rear stabilizers) or do I need to purchase two sets to do all four corners. Is it necessary for the rear?

When you purchase JT's there is 6 pieces on the landing gear you have 2 on each side, one going to the front center and one goes back on the frame rail. The last 2 are for the rear jacks. Instructions say to mount to the rear center but I mounted mine forward to the frame rail.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Another option is Steadyfast...it only involves three bars, and it's easier to use! We've had both JT's and now Steadyfast, and really like this system better.

Dutch & Di

Any permanently mounted stabilizer system will definitely help with interior movement. We have been using our Plug It Right Stabilizers for over 5 years. Diana

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
I am in the desert where it has been unusually windy this year, (Up to 70mph!).
Several weeks ago I mail ordered JT's Strongarms.
I put them on the front of the coach 2 weeks ago and the difference is night and day. Very little wind buffeting compared to not having them. I am very happy with the product already and I don't even have the back one's on. I will do that tomorrow.

The guy next to me has another brand and they are a much smaller gauge steel than the JT's.

A bonus, if you qualify for the Goshen rally price it's about half of what Tweety's sells them for. Well worth it! IMHO

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I have a 2011 Big Horn 3670RL. This coach has hydraulic front landing gear. I have noticed that, with this landing gear, there seems to be considerably less "shake" than there was with my previous SOB fifth wheel which had electric landing gear.
Jeff, you say you notice less "shake" with the hydraulics. We currently have JT's in the front, but are having the front legs converted to the newest version of hydraulics. I hear it's heavier duty than the "old" hydraulic system but don't know when Lippert started putting them on the new units at the factory. I think I may convert a set of the front JT's to be used in the rear. At this point I'm not even sure that the new hydraulics have the means to attach the JT's. Thanks for your post.

boatdoc

They do work well on our 3670 but the best thing we found out on the longer unit was to put a normal out of the junk yard scissor jack just in front of each front axel on the frome and give them a good tightening, works wonders. Our long 39' trailers really like this midspan support.

caissiel

I installed 2 scissor jacks that I bought just behind the rear wheel. The jacks are 7500Lbs Capacity and capable to raise the rear stabilizers about 2 inches when I thighten them. Then I just drop the rear stabilizers again. The trailer has been partialy off the springs for most of winter here in Florida. Its been great in imobilizing the trailer. We hardly feel the washing machine vibrations. it also straighten the floor in the kitchen that we felt a small drop when walking in the kitchen.

My Plan was to use them to raise and level the trailer side to side if it is not perfectly level when sitting on blocks. Its easy jacks to operate and I think its very successfull.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
They do work well on our 3670 but the best thing we found out on the longer unit was to put a normal out of the junk yard scissor jack just in front of each front axel on the frome and give them a good tightening, works wonders. Our long 39' trailers really like this midspan support.

That's a good idea that I may consider, even with the Strongarms. These babys are long.
I ran into a guy in Quartzsite that was selling a connector that allowed you to slip a scissor jack off the frame when not in use. Plus you didn't need to crank them all the way from the ground up. Just take the tension off the ground and slip them out of a sleeve. Throw them under the trailer or in the back of the truck. So your only putting like 6-8 cranks on them to go up, or down. I believe they could be used on any scissor type jack. It was a good idea, but I lost his card. If I find it, I will post here.

ihsolutions

A bonus, if you qualify for the Goshen rally price it's about half of what Tweety's sells them for. Well worth it! IMHO

WOW, I was getting ready to order these from Tweety's when I read your post. I totally forgot those were in the flyer for the Goshen rally deals. That is quite a savings!! Thanks!

caissiel

I have been using Truck box cargo holders for the past 2 years. I bought 6 on sale for $12 a piece. I install them across the front and lenghtwise on the front landing jacks. I use to use 2 at the rear but now I don't bother with the rear. They operate by pressure against the jacks and keep everything solid . I love them and for $50 they are my choice for now.

Attachments

• Picture or Video 004.jpg
    Picture or Video 004.jpg
    397.5 KB · Views: 94
  • Picture or Video 003.jpg
    Picture or Video 003.jpg
    482.7 KB · Views: 79

mountain1

I just installed my stabilizers this weekend and completed my first "mechanical" modification. Only cracked my hand a couple of times. next trip out we will see if they do what we hope.

Boca_Shuffles

We had the JT''s front and back on our 2010 BH 3055RL and loved them. They made the trailer very solid.

After the Nashville rally, we upgraded our electric front jacks to the Lippert Hydraulic front jacks. The legs that were installed are solid legs without any adjustment pins. These legs come down at about a 10 degree angle. This triangulation helps stabilize the unit.

We removed the front JT's but left the rear units installed. This configuration seems as stable (if not more) as the front and rear JT's configuration. The hydraulic front jacks are definitely faster than the old electric jacks and the JT's.

The only disadvantage of the hydraulic front legs we got is that they were mounted in the front storage area rather than in the outside compartments with the hydraulics and propane. This may be because the hydraulics were add-ons.

porthole

Retired
I have been using Truck box cargo holders for the past 2 years. I bought 6 on sale for $12 a piece. I install them across the front and lenghtwise on the front landing jacks. I use to use 2 at the rear but now I don't bother with the rear. They operate by pressure against the jacks and keep everything solid . I love them and for $50 they are my choice for now.

Simple solution. Where did you find them for $12?
I just got a ratcheting bar from Home Depot for $20, and it is kind of flimsy.

Yours looks like the screw type - twist to extend, correct?

porthole

Retired
When you purchase JT's there is 6 pieces on the landing gear you have 2 on each side, one going to the front center and one goes back on the frame rail. The last 2 are for the rear jacks. Instructions say to mount to the rear center but I mounted mine forward to the frame rail.

Jon,

Do you think the fronts would still work?
I am thinking about getting the kit in Goshen to stop the bit of shaking we still have, especially when using the washer dryer.

jnbhobe

Jon,

Do you think the fronts would still work?
I am thinking about getting the kit in Goshen to stop the bit of shaking we still have, especially when using the washer dryer.

Duane; You would have to make an adapter for the landing gear as they are a different size jack.

jnbhobe

Well - did you figure out yet how to do it?

How you liking the new truck, pretty cool, eh?

No time yet to figure it out but I will work on it!!LOL I like the truck but the same problem comes up No Time I took the books to the office maybe I can look them over when I'm working hard!!