PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on JT Strongarms?

ihsolutions
03-26-2011, 07:26 PM
I have a 2011 Big Horn 3670RL. This coach has hydraulic front landing gear. I have noticed that, with this landing gear, there seems to be considerably less "shake" than there was with my previous SOB fifth wheel which had electric landing gear.

Does anyone with a similar rig have any feedback on the improvement in motion/shaking felt by installing these products on the front and/or rear of their coach?

jnbhobe
03-26-2011, 07:36 PM
I think the JT's are worth every penny of their cost, I even left them on the rear after I got the Level-Up.

ihsolutions
03-26-2011, 07:47 PM
Thanks. I'm a little confused, is the set four all four corners of the RV (front jacks and rear stabilizers) or do I need to purchase two sets to do all four corners. Is it necessary for the rear?

jnbhobe
03-26-2011, 08:11 PM
Thanks. I'm a little confused, is the set four all four corners of the RV (front jacks and rear stabilizers) or do I need to purchase two sets to do all four corners. Is it necessary for the rear?

When you purchase JT's there is 6 pieces on the landing gear you have 2 on each side, one going to the front center and one goes back on the frame rail. The last 2 are for the rear jacks. Instructions say to mount to the rear center but I mounted mine forward to the frame rail.

kakampers
03-26-2011, 08:28 PM
Another option is Steadyfast...it only involves three bars, and it's easier to use! We've had both JT's and now Steadyfast, and really like this system better.

Dutch & Di
03-26-2011, 10:07 PM
Any permanently mounted stabilizer system will definitely help with interior movement. We have been using our Plug It Right Stabilizers for over 5 years. Diana

TandT
03-26-2011, 10:26 PM
I am in the desert where it has been unusually windy this year, (Up to 70mph!).
Several weeks ago I mail ordered JT's Strongarms.
I put them on the front of the coach 2 weeks ago and the difference is night and day. Very little wind buffeting compared to not having them. I am very happy with the product already and I don't even have the back one's on. I will do that tomorrow.

The guy next to me has another brand and they are a much smaller gauge steel than the JT's.

A bonus, if you qualify for the Goshen rally price it's about half of what Tweety's sells them for. Well worth it! IMHO

Ray LeTourneau
03-26-2011, 10:38 PM
I have a 2011 Big Horn 3670RL. This coach has hydraulic front landing gear. I have noticed that, with this landing gear, there seems to be considerably less "shake" than there was with my previous SOB fifth wheel which had electric landing gear.

Jeff, you say you notice less "shake" with the hydraulics. We currently have JT's in the front, but are having the front legs converted to the newest version of hydraulics. I hear it's heavier duty than the "old" hydraulic system but don't know when Lippert started putting them on the new units at the factory. I think I may convert a set of the front JT's to be used in the rear. At this point I'm not even sure that the new hydraulics have the means to attach the JT's. Thanks for your post.

boatdoc
03-26-2011, 10:41 PM
They do work well on our 3670 but the best thing we found out on the longer unit was to put a normal out of the junk yard scissor jack just in front of each front axel on the frome and give them a good tightening, works wonders. Our long 39' trailers really like this midspan support.

caissiel
03-26-2011, 11:03 PM
I installed 2 scissor jacks that I bought just behind the rear wheel. The jacks are 7500Lbs Capacity and capable to raise the rear stabilizers about 2 inches when I thighten them. Then I just drop the rear stabilizers again. The trailer has been partialy off the springs for most of winter here in Florida. Its been great in imobilizing the trailer. We hardly feel the washing machine vibrations. it also straighten the floor in the kitchen that we felt a small drop when walking in the kitchen.

My Plan was to use them to raise and level the trailer side to side if it is not perfectly level when sitting on blocks. Its easy jacks to operate and I think its very successfull.

TandT
03-27-2011, 01:45 AM
They do work well on our 3670 but the best thing we found out on the longer unit was to put a normal out of the junk yard scissor jack just in front of each front axel on the frome and give them a good tightening, works wonders. Our long 39' trailers really like this midspan support.

That's a good idea that I may consider, even with the Strongarms. These babys are long.
I ran into a guy in Quartzsite that was selling a connector that allowed you to slip a scissor jack off the frame when not in use. Plus you didn't need to crank them all the way from the ground up. Just take the tension off the ground and slip them out of a sleeve. Throw them under the trailer or in the back of the truck. So your only putting like 6-8 cranks on them to go up, or down. I believe they could be used on any scissor type jack. It was a good idea, but I lost his card. If I find it, I will post here.

ihsolutions
03-27-2011, 08:12 AM
A bonus, if you qualify for the Goshen rally price it's about half of what Tweety's sells them for. Well worth it! IMHO

WOW, I was getting ready to order these from Tweety's when I read your post. I totally forgot those were in the flyer for the Goshen rally deals. That is quite a savings!! Thanks!

caissiel
03-27-2011, 12:29 PM
I have been using Truck box cargo holders for the past 2 years. I bought 6 on sale for $12 a piece. I install them across the front and lenghtwise on the front landing jacks. I use to use 2 at the rear but now I don't bother with the rear. They operate by pressure against the jacks and keep everything solid . I love them and for $50 they are my choice for now.

mountain1
03-28-2011, 12:53 PM
I just installed my stabilizers this weekend and completed my first "mechanical" modification. Only cracked my hand a couple of times. next trip out we will see if they do what we hope.

Boca_Shuffles
03-28-2011, 04:37 PM
We had the JT''s front and back on our 2010 BH 3055RL and loved them. They made the trailer very solid.

After the Nashville rally, we upgraded our electric front jacks to the Lippert Hydraulic front jacks. The legs that were installed are solid legs without any adjustment pins. These legs come down at about a 10 degree angle. This triangulation helps stabilize the unit.

We removed the front JT's but left the rear units installed. This configuration seems as stable (if not more) as the front and rear JT's configuration. The hydraulic front jacks are definitely faster than the old electric jacks and the JT's.

The only disadvantage of the hydraulic front legs we got is that they were mounted in the front storage area rather than in the outside compartments with the hydraulics and propane. This may be because the hydraulics were add-ons.

porthole
03-28-2011, 05:53 PM
I have been using Truck box cargo holders for the past 2 years. I bought 6 on sale for $12 a piece. I install them across the front and lenghtwise on the front landing jacks. I use to use 2 at the rear but now I don't bother with the rear. They operate by pressure against the jacks and keep everything solid . I love them and for $50 they are my choice for now.

Simple solution. Where did you find them for $12?
I just got a ratcheting bar from Home Depot for $20, and it is kind of flimsy.

Yours looks like the screw type - twist to extend, correct?

porthole
03-28-2011, 05:54 PM
When you purchase JT's there is 6 pieces on the landing gear you have 2 on each side, one going to the front center and one goes back on the frame rail. The last 2 are for the rear jacks. Instructions say to mount to the rear center but I mounted mine forward to the frame rail.

Jon,

Do you think the fronts would still work?
I am thinking about getting the kit in Goshen to stop the bit of shaking we still have, especially when using the washer dryer.

jnbhobe
03-28-2011, 09:07 PM
Jon,

Do you think the fronts would still work?
I am thinking about getting the kit in Goshen to stop the bit of shaking we still have, especially when using the washer dryer.

Duane; You would have to make an adapter for the landing gear as they are a different size jack.

porthole
03-29-2011, 11:43 AM
Well - did you figure out yet how to do it?

How you liking the new truck, pretty cool, eh?

jnbhobe
03-29-2011, 12:34 PM
Well - did you figure out yet how to do it?

How you liking the new truck, pretty cool, eh?

No time yet to figure it out but I will work on it!!LOL I like the truck but the same problem comes up No Time I took the books to the office maybe I can look them over when I'm working hard!!

porthole
03-29-2011, 02:05 PM
I have the PDF manuals for the truck if you haven't found them yet.

ihsolutions
03-29-2011, 02:08 PM
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I'm sold on the JT Strongarms. I have a service appointment with Lippert right before the rally in June, to have my springs replaced (again) just one last time under warranty. While there, I'm going to have the greasable wet bolt kit installed, along with the JT's. I would normally do the JT's myself, but for $100 I can save at least one or two bloody knuckles, not a bad deal at all!

jnbhobe
03-29-2011, 03:00 PM
I have the PDF manuals for the truck if you haven't found them yet.

Duane; Thats something I can use Where do you get them?? Jon

porthole
03-29-2011, 03:03 PM
Duane; Thats something I can use Where do you get them?? Jon

In your inbox ;-)

caissiel
03-29-2011, 06:20 PM
I bought these when they were on sale. I bought 6 for 2 extras at the rear but now use them in my truck box
The trailer is very stable just by using the 4 in front. and the electric stabilizers at the back are great.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_12114_12114

In addition I have added the 2 Scissor Jacks at the rear of the last axle and it stabilizes the center of the trailer.

jnbhobe
03-29-2011, 06:24 PM
In your inbox ;-)

Thanks Duane.

Ray LeTourneau
03-29-2011, 10:26 PM
caissiel, I noticed on your pictures earlier in this thread, your pins were facing forward on your landing gear. Do the leg extensions just come out of the main leg and then move the spring pin to the front? Any trick to removing the extensions? I see the mail leg already has the holes front to rear so it looks like you just unclamp, rotate and reattach.

TandT
03-30-2011, 12:43 AM
Put my rear one's on. Solid as a rock. I have the front hydraulics and they work well with that setup. I highly recommend them. Trace

caissiel
03-30-2011, 12:43 AM
I never noticed it before. The trailer was setup that way when I took delivery. I realy like it that way its realy close to pull and push. Also the SW. is on the front wall.
The best way to remove the extension would be to remove the main landing tubes and rotate the pin to suit, and reinstall the extension.

Ray LeTourneau
03-30-2011, 06:36 AM
I never noticed it before. The trailer was setup that way when I took delivery. I realy like it that way its realy close to pull and push. Also the SW. is on the front wall.
The best way to remove the extension would be to remove the main landing tubes and rotate the pin to suit, and reinstall the extension.
Is it safe to assume you bought it used? I've never seen one set up like that before. I would have considered changing mine a long time ago. Thanks for the reply.