Big Country - Ground Clearance Issue

Razduck

We brought the Big Country home w/ a person from the dealer to ensure we could get the RV across the incline of our driveway, and into the area along side the garage. We backed it into the driveway, and could only make it about half way. The RV's ladder was going hit the driveway. We tried 2-3 other approaches at it, and all with the same result. On one of these attempts we also discovered that the belly mount spare tire, and rear jacks will also hit the driveway. We discussed cutting off the ladder and make it removable, but that does not solve the issue of the spare tire or rear jacks. We returned the RV to the Dealer and spoke with the Service Dept Rep. He said our only option was to flip the axles, and that would provide an additional 3"-4" of height and should give the clearance we will need. He said that since the Big Country has shocks, it wil require additional time, which means more $$$. Bottom line; It will cost us about $800 for the axle flip. It has been brought to our attention, that this may void the Frame warranty. We have put a hold on flipping the axles at this time, and are exploring other options.

As a new owner of this Heartland Big Country, I want the Factory to be aware of this issue. This is our third RV, the 2 previous brands were by Northwoods Mfg. The Heartland is the only one that we have been unable to get into our storage area. I strongly suggest that Heartland take a look at ways to increase ground clearance, and make customers happy, and not have to go through what we have to.

Thank You,
Richard Z. & Linda W.

Last edited:

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader
Re: ATF: Big Country - Ground Clearance Issue

So sorry for your problems. It just stinks to have issues with a brand new rig.
Just as another option to the axle flip, the Rieco Correct Track system will give you an additional 2" of clearance while leaving your frame alone and not messing with the shocks. There is a good article on them in last month's Trailer Life. We have them on ours and have so far been pleased with the alignment feature which makes for smoother towing. If you're handy at all, they are a do-it-yourself project.

branson4020

Icantre Member

I thought the leaf springs on your rig were already above the axle. If so, they can't be "flipped." But whatever method they are contemplating to lift the coach, you should consider that its already about 13' tall.

caissiel

I have looked at possibly adding small air bags on the axle to use as levelers and spring relief when parked for extended time. I am capable to raise the rear by 2 inches with my scissor jacks that I installed behind the wheels and still have lots of weight left on the springs.
The lenght on the rear of these trailer is plenty long that it makes them harder to back into hard places.
As for the spare I was capable to install the the spare in front of the axles and still be able to handle it ok under the step. I have my 2 kayaks now under the trailer where the spare was located.
Just throwing some ideas around.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator

I've seen something on other coaches that prevents a hitch or other areas of the coach from dragging. It's a wheel that can be attached to each rear corner of the frame. Almost like a "tag wheel". The wheels would MAYBE get you past the point you need to be to completely get you in/up the driveway. I've seen them in both plastic and metal and they look pretty substantial..
I think the vast majority of folks owning these rigs are not in your situation and that is what all manufacturers focus on. When the trailer get longer, so does the amount of overhang aft of the axles.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter

I like the idea of putting the spare tire in front of the axles. Should be pretty easy...5 bolts hold it on...a floor jack...wheel it to the front...jack it up and drill and install the bolts. Might have a black pipe gas line to move or adjust out of the way.

mikeyy53

I have this happen with our previous SOB's. The one time DW thought she ripped the frame off the trailer as it was so loud. I don't know if you've done this but we finally put boards between the driveway approach and the trailer tire for the extra lift needed. When we were finished I put the boards in the garage for next time. I just had to be sure they weren't cut up for a project. At our current house our former HL Edge would hit the extra pavement, I just did the board trick and it went right up.

I hope this helps

Razduck

Thanks everyone for the replies. We have decided to completely rule out the axle flip. I have no interest in voiding a frame warranty to achieve extra ground clearance. I think the easiest solution to this is to remove the spare tire, and store it in the bay for easy access and maintenance. We will buy some lumber and/or Lynx Levelers and build-up the driveway approach to get past the trouble spot. All we need is enough height under the tires until they get onto the driveway, from there we'll have it made. Since we are avid University of Oregon fans, DW suggested that we spray paint a green "O" in the troubled spots.
That we she'll know where to place the leveler blocks. We will try again on Tuesday, when the dealer brings the BC out to the house.

Gaffer

Good luck and keep us posted. Hope to see you in Yreka, Sparks or Westfir.
PJ

Razduck

We'll be making another try on Wed. AM. The Dealer will sent a couple of guys along as we try blocking the driveway approach and driveway and see if we can make it into our storage area. I really think this will give us the lift we need to get past the steep spot and make it into the storage area.

My wife and I are even discussing bringing in a Concrete Contractor and getting a Bid on a total Driveway Re-Do. This would totally remove the 15 degree then 25 degree turn into the storage area. It would allow us to make the entry into the storage area nearly a straight shot, and eliminate the steepness as well. We'll see what happens on Wednesday first. I will keep you'all posted.

branson4020

Icantre Member

You seem to be getting exceptional support from your dealer. Do you mind sharing the name?

Boca_Shuffles

I think the only solution is to sell the house and full time in a warm weather state. (just joking).

We bottomed out with our 35 ft SOB going into a gas station on an incline. Unfortunately, the longer the trailer, the less of an incline you can climb.

If the cost of redoing the driveway is prohibitive, you might consider storing your rig elsewhere. (just thinking outside of the box).

Last edited:

Razduck

You seem to be getting exceptional support from your dealer. Do you mind sharing the name?

Not a problem, it's Guaranty RV in Junction City, OR. They have been extremely helpful with our situation, and they have other things they may offer, depending how it goes on Wed. AM, with the Service Mgr. at our house. From what I understand, Guaranty is the only RV Dealer in Oregon that has the Full line of Heartland products.

I think that fact that we have been such great customers, has a lot to do with how helpful Guaranty RV has been. Since 1999, we have bought a new Pontiac Gran Prix, our Chevy Silverado 2500HD, 2 Travel Trailers, and now a 3355RL Big Country 5'r.

Razduck

After a couple of different approaches, we got the BC into our storage place, and the bottom of the ladder cleared by about 1".....Woo-Hoo!!!!
I am very happy that doing n axle flip isn't going to necessary, and that we don't have to outlay more $$.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member

We'll be making another try on Wed. AM. The Dealer will sent a couple of guys along as we try blocking the driveway approach and driveway and see if we can make it into our storage area. I really think this will give us the lift we need to get past the steep spot and make it into the storage area.

My wife and I are even discussing bringing in a Concrete Contractor and getting a Bid on a total Driveway Re-Do. This would totally remove the 15 degree then 25 degree turn into the storage area. It would allow us to make the entry into the storage area nearly a straight shot, and eliminate the steepness as well. We'll see what happens on Wednesday first. I will keep you'all posted.

Seems to me you have hit on the real long range solution. Although it could be costly, it would work for whatever the future brings. (newer RV, MH or Tow Vehicle or whatever.)

Razduck

It sure to always happen that way when new things come into our lives, changes always seen to follow, and sometimes they can be costly. That seems to be the case with our new Big Country, but they will be for the best in the long run. :)

lwmcguir

I thought the leaf springs on your rig were already above the axle. If so, they can't be "flipped." But whatever method they are contemplating to lift the coach, you should consider that its already about 13' tall.

I believe this is the case as well just for anyone else facing the same situation.