Sundance - stiff power cord

bigdob24

Is it my imagination or has the factory started using a cheaper grade of power cord.
I have a 2011 RK265 and just brought it home from storage and tried to get the power cord out of the storage hole and it was a real pain. Seems like the cord is not very flexible and knots up inside the storage area.
I have drop cords at home and the good ones remain flexible and the cheap ones are a mess to use. I even noticed this on the 7 way plug up front, it was very stiff . I had a 2010 RCB 3300 and the 7 way plug up front was very flexible and easy to maneuver around for hook up. I also have a 25' power cord that is 50 amp to 30 amp and it remains very flexible year round, never a problem.
I guess I can install a 30 amp MarineCo female receptacle installed on the rear of the RK 265 and then use the power cord from the old RV and eliminate the cheap stiff cord that was installed at the factory . Some things should not be cheapened up, just creates problems.
Do you guys have any MarineCo receptacles to fix this ??
I bought Heartland because they seem to be made better than the others, I was very pleased with the build quality of my last Heartland , I hope I don't find things like this that make me change my mind.
Dan

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Re: ATF: Sundance - stiff cords

Dan, I have a 07 BH and when its cold the shore power cord is STIFF.

jimtoo

I have had 2 SOB's, an 04 and 05 year model, also a 06 Bighorn,, and now an 08 Bighorn, also have an extra cord from a high dollar unit that stays in my home port... and all were or are fairly stiff. So I don't think it's the manufacture using cheap stuff, just what is affordable and good for overall average use.

I have found some wiring that I may try that is really flexible. Will post more when I find our more information about the cable. I think it uses a rubber outer coating instead of plastic. I think the plastic (or whatever it is) outer shield is our problem.

Jim M

hoefler

Our power cords have a PVC outer shell. The very flexible ones have a rubber outer shell. While PVC cords are stiff when cold, they are more durable, abrasion and cut resistant.

D

Dave Willis

To my knowledge we haven't changed the power cords. Sometimes we might have to substitute parts if our suppliers run out but that would be the only thing I could think of.

Thanks,

guitarpicr

We have a 25' extension cord for our rig & when its cold out we just use the extension. Only have to pull out enough cord to make the connection at the rear of the rig.

rebootsemi

The problem is the PVC coatings on the wire and the outer cover, you can get much better quality cord and plug ends and build your own. McMaster-Carr #7080K89 is $4.96 ft is good down to -58 degrees, 6/4 conductors with rubber jacketing.