Recommended distance above truck bed

heed71

HI;

Can anyone tell me what distance I should strive for between a fifth wheel underside that rests over the truck bed and the sides of the truck itself.?

I have heard at least 6"

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Our dealership recommended between 6-7 inches, making sure that the coach is pretty level. We had to lower the hitch one notch down to help make the coach travel level which made the clearance about 6.5". After we got the TrailAir Tri-glide pin, we had to lower the hitch down again but still have the clearance.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
I would stay at 6" or 7". Not TOO high or your coach will be "nose high". When you get your coach. Load it up, park somewhere flat and see how it sits. The you can ajust from there.

heed71

Thanks all...I will strive for 6" if I can...my truck sinks when the Fifth wheel is on it and I raise it up again with air bags. I haven't had a chance to measure the clearance yet, but think it's between 5 and 6 now (eyeballing it). If it's low, I will raise my hitch up a notch and compensate with the air bag control to bring me back to level

lwmcguir

If you get much below 5 inches you have a really good chance of rubbing when you go through dips. I like to be at 6 inches or close to that with everything level. With the 4WD higher trucks it is a good thing most of the HL products sit on the high side. Many coaches out there don't.