Grand Canyon Counter Top Scratches

DougS

Doug S
Does anyone else have scratches on the kitchen counter top in 2011 Grand Canyon from the rubber seal/flap located about 4 inches under the appliance garage? Seems when the slide out is closed and while traveling down the road the seal/flap scratches the counter. The models built in the first 5-6 months of 2010 seem to have this large black rubber seal/flap. I have seen other Grand Canyons at dealers with the same scratches. I have also seen other Grand Canyon models built later in the year that do not have this seal.
I am considering removing the seal/flap, but I am not sure how it is attached.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I don't know how to remove the scratches other than trying some automotive type compounds. Possible prevention would be one of those thin plastic cutting board sheets taped to the area that is getting the damage.

bacaye

We have problems with the Big Country 3450....Our slide has the rubber seal that comes over the counter and it does leave a mark. They told us it should buff out but we have not tried it. I do know we finally had to use a tray at the end of our counter near the door becasue Bill was putting the keys, etc. on it and we noticed it was getting little scratch marks. The light has to hit it just right for us to see them but they are there if you are looking. I am sure we are not alone. We notice it more with natural light but if the angle is right we can see them with the overhead light too. If you find a solution please let us know too.

DougS

Doug S
bacaye,
I was told also that it would buff out, and I am sure it will, but I do not want to buff it out until I find a solution, it will only scratch again. Sounds like your problem is the same as mine. My belief is that the rubber seal/flap is too stiff.
My thought is to remove the rubber seal/flap, but is it necessary, and how to remove it? If it is removed, and then I find out it is necessary, it would be impossible to reinstall. Also, why did Heartland stop using the rubber seal/flap in the middle of the year?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
One thought is to maybe put a coating of silicone on the rubber. Might help it glide a little easier.
Buffing it out like Ray mentioned with rubbing compound followed by polishing compound will remove the scratches. And a coat of wax on the counter top helps as well.
Manufacturers are always making changes. For what ever reason only they know why.

Peace
Dave

Doug,
We have some scratches on ours also, however, we don't have the rubber flap problem. It does leave a mark but it doesn't scratch.

I read on another post that they use Hopes Countertop Polish at the factory. It's available on Amazon for about $5. I have yet to try it but thought I'd pass the info along.

Kathy