New Truck, New Trailer---New Hitch???

wonka

Hey All,
My first post, so Hello, but I have a few questions. We have camped for years, worked from a lean-to, tent, camperized school bus, travel trailers, and now a Fifth wheel. We are rarely in a bonified campground, spending most of our time random camping in the back country of the rocky mountains.
With the new Bighorn on it's way, we need to figure a few things out. We realize that we will not be able to go into the same areas we could drag our travel trailer into, but is there one hitch that is better over another for traversing the uneven surfaces we will encounter?
I don't want to run the fifth into the box rails getting into a camping spot, but don't want to sit on the road either. This will be our first experience Fiving so it would be nice to get a little advice from those here with more experience and wisdom. Any advice would be helpful.
Thanks
Bill

2011 Silverado crew 4 x 4, oil burner/ Bighorn 2985- on its way

TXBobcat

Fulltime
You are going to get a lot of opinions. We have been using a B&W Turnoverball with the Compainion 5th wheel.

This allows me to pull a travel trailer, a gooseneck trailer up to 30k, and a 5th wheel up to 18K. It also gives me a clear bed when I remove the 5th wheel. No rails. And in my opinion the easiest to open or close. I don't need a trailer saver because the jaws won't close if it is not in the jaws correctly and I can look directly at the jaws to see they are closed. It is the same type the Semi's use just smaller for our tV.

There are a number of threads on this subject. Go click on the advanced search at the top right of the forum and type in hitch, or whatever you wish to look for in the google search. Works quite well.

BC

hoefler

I would recommend a dual pivot hitch. There are many brand options out there. Like said above you will get many opinions as what is better. Also, since you like going to unimproved campsites, I would also recommend an air ride hitch our pin box. I have the Trail Air, and very pleased with it.

noobee

I have a Reese Signature 18K hitch. It has the under bed rail kit which leaves the truck bed uncluttered when the hitch is removed. I have about 7.5" of clearance between the 5er & the bed rails when on even ground. To get to this gap while the 5er runs flat, I had to do a height adjustment on the pin box & also on the hitch. Not much to get this done with some lifting help on the pin box.

BTW: do you plan to go to the HL Alberta Rally in June?

CS

lwmcguir

If you are planning on going in areas with significant dips and rises in unimproved roads the clearance between the Rails is going to be very important. More important than the type of hitch you have. An air pin box should be a must as well. We like the 5th Airborne and have the original cover on it also. BW companion is hard to beat if you use the truck for other purposes. We use a GN adapter and have since Fith Wheel Campers have been around (will void your warranty). Good luck.

wonka

When I can, I will post pics of the area, it would be considered extremely uneven terrain. Most places you cannot get a car into, I'm thinking the Bighorn won't see them either. BUT there are some places that are questionable on the main roads (used for logging trucks alot), and I would like to maintain as much clearance as possible between the trailer and body damage. I have been told that the Curt 20k Q5 with the R5 roller base is a good hitch for our use. I am not sure I will need the sliding rails, but there is no significant cost increase. I would also like to keep as much clearance between truck and trailer as feasible, does this create any issues? Learning curve I wish I would have started with the older truck.