tow vehicle tires

mcarso1

Ithought there was a tow vehicle sub category but don't see it so here I am. I am getting ready to get six new tires for the dually and was wondering what you all were running and how well they are handling and how they are wearing. I need help fast so please chime in!

jnbhobe

I've used a lot of different tires, is your chevy 2wd or 4wd??, do you want highway tires or traction tires?? Firestone Transforce HT's are a good highway tire and not too pricey.Michelin are good but expencive. let us know what type of tire you want.

lwmcguir

We have Goodyear all steel on the F550 Dually now due to loading and have ran the Transforce in the past. If you are moderately loaded the Fir stones or equivalent should do fine. If cost is no concern then Michelin's are hard to beat. Like them on the SRW's. Also have some Hancook's and Nexen's that are performing well on other duallies.

2010augusta

I have a set of Hankook AH11 on the 450, but they are 19.5" wheels so choices are a bit more limited, but they are holding up well and run smooth on the highway.

Birchwood

I run the Firestone Transforce road tires on my 3500 dually.They wear even,quiet and nice ride.I got 6 installed in
Florida for $805 (2010) and thought that was a great price.Just make sure they have at least an E rating and buy
the size recommended on the door sill.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We purchased our GMC dually used last year and it had Transforce tires. It had 70k on the truck. After about 6 mo, we realized the tires were needing replacement. (the truck was used as a tow vehicle before we owned it.) we asked on the forum and researched tires... Ultimately, we went with the Transforce again. So far so good!

mcarso1

Thanks everybody, I should have mentioned that we have a 4x4 and the factory tire size is 225/75/17 which really the only choice we have around here is the Firestone transforce AT or HT. Michelin does not offer a tire in this size, the only other tire available is the Goodyear silent armour AT but they are about 80.00 a tire more and I don't know if thats really woth it.

jnbhobe

There is a lot of stuff available up here in Erie. I like Mastercraft (Cooper) and Dayton (Firestone) also. If you want a summer tire the Transforce HT is good The AT has a more agressive tread. Both good tires

handva

I have had good luck with the Cooper brand of tire. Right now I'm using the Discoverer HT in a half-ton application. I haven't had any issues during winter or in light mud with a 2wd.

aatauses

I have Michelins and they have performed every bit as they are advertised---I did have an alignment issue and had to move the fronts to the rear (dually), but the tires are doing great.
al

tmcran

They make tires that don't have Michelin on them? After years of driving on highways, rocks,gravel and everything else. Its always back to Michelin's. Personally I don't use any tire on my trucks with the name GOOD on it. JMHO.