Simple solution to a silly problem!

SueJean

:confused: Problem: Sheets won't stay on the bed.

Now I know this sounds like a silly little problem, but as anyone that has made a king size bed in the tight quarters of their Big Horn bedroom with various items that tend to "live" alongside the bed (i.e. laundry basket, extra blankets, sleeping bag rolls!), knows, this isn't just a small problem.

Our problem is further complicated with the addition of a 2 1/2 inch memory foam piece on top of the mattress. It's not an exact fit and it has a tendency to move around a bit. This pretty much guarantees that we have to make and remake the bed almost every other night.

My first effort to make this easier was gleaned from a suggestion someone made here on this forum. Sliding the mattress across the plywood base was truly a wrestling match that left us with aching backs. Someone suggested putting cheap pieces of tiling on the plywood and this made sliding the mattress a LOT easier. However, it didn't help us in reducing the number of times we were making the bed.

:angel:One thing that I've learned in our short-time RV life is that "thinking outside the box" is an invaluable tool to keep close at hand. Last night as we once again forced ourselves to face the task of making the bed, I had a moment of "mental clarity" or as they say, "the lights went on"!

As I was looking at the mattress, I realized that it's almost but not quite a square and our sheets are almost but not quite the right size. All we needed to do to make them fit better was rotate them 90 degrees and put the elastic edges on the sides instead of on the top and bottom. VOILA!!!

We now have tight sheets and they stay on! ;)

Hmmmmmmmm.............now I'm looking around to see what other problems I've been living with that can be resolved........:D

Happy traveling!

gmc

Reitired - California-Central Chapter Leaders
Put a piece of linoleum on the plywood makes sliding the mattress really easy. glu or tack the lino down.