Hopefully, I'm done buying ICE!

SueJean

:cool: We did it!

We have probably spent a small fortune on bags of ice since we went full-time back in '09. At least half of my freezer space is usually jammed with as big a bag of ice as I can fit in. Ice is something that I've never learned to live without.

DH has more than once expressed awe and amazement at my ability to cram most of a 15 lb bag in alongside the veggies and frozen burritos. :eek: "Ice runs" have long been a part of our normal routine. I even went through a brief episode of trying to make my own in the freezer with these tube-like ice trays. WAY TOO MUCH TROUBLE!!:(

However, with the price of diesel rising and the warm weather coming, I finally made a serious consideration of getting a portable ice maker. I read all the reviews I could find and haunted eBay for days looking for the "best" deal.

My resolve to buy was solidified by the arrival of another Big Horn with their own portable ice maker and another rave review of how much it has saved them. Never mind the fact that their kitchen floor plan left them with quite a bit more counter space than I can claim.

Finally, I made the commitment and bought the NewAir Portable Ice Maker from Air and Water through their eBay store. The cost with free shipping was $144 (and it went up to $166 before mine had even came!).

The day it arrived, I unpacked it (from it's very careful/competent packaging), washed it and plugged it in. Within minutes, I heard the very COOL :rolleyes: sound of ice dumping out into the bin (9 pieces at a time). Within the hour, I had a full glass of medium-sized (their definition) ice that was as good as any bagged ice I'd ever had.

Bottom line: If you're in the market for a portable ice maker, this is a good buy! :cool:

katkens-DW

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
I know what you mean about buying ice. We too got one about 4years ago and it still makes ice. they are great!!!!!

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We bought one about a year ago and it is great. Ours is not a freezer but just and ice maker. If the ice inside melts it will recycle the water and make more ice. We use it all the time rather than the ice maker in the freezer part of the refrigerator.

tweber

Founding Wisconsin Chapter Leader-Retired
DW got the ice maker for Christmas 2010, and then went so far as to have the tech take out the stove and oven. He then put in a cook top and built a cabinet in the oven area. The cabinet has a pull out shelf and the ice maker fits perfectly in the oven space. Another great idea of my DW. She is serious about her ice. Now she is looking for a spot to hold her wine cooler. She wants to get it out of the basement. Too far for me to walk when a new bottle of wine is needed.

boatdoc

We've had one for years. Took the ice maker out of the freezer as it wasn't worth the powder to blow it to heck. Have one in the sticks and bricks also.

hillsonwheels

I bought one from Target at the end of last year's camping season. It cost around $130. Took a little bit of flak (a lot of ribbing) from my bride. Guess who is now having the last laugh since she is the biggest user of the little pieces of solid water? :cool:

TXBobcat

Fulltime
We have used a portable ice maker for some time. Had trouble where to store it, so we bought a new one and look what came with it...

DSC_4562_800.jpg

BC

floridarandy

Ditto.

I gave DW an icemaker for Christmas...bold, huh. She tells everyone about it but truth is we love it. Normally we put a small table just outside the door for the TV. Icemaker fits right on top and it removes the "noise" of icemaking. Its amazing how FAST it makes ice. Have lots of gallon baggies handy to inventory ice in the freezer. It won't keep up with a party but it can easily make enough in advance.

Was a little worried about leaving it out overnight but so far no problem. I'd never give up space in a freezer for an icemaker after this. And, we can take it into the house for parties at home!

Now for that Original Margaritaville Frozen Drink Machine Mickey had at the Florida Rally....I've go the ice Mickey...

SueJean

What model did you buy SueJean?

"Finally, I made the commitment and bought the NewAir Portable Ice Maker from Air and Water through their eBay store. The cost with free shipping was $144 (and it went up to $166 before mine had even came!)."

I picked this one. It wasn't the cheapest one available, but it was near the bottom of the price list and the reviews I'd read were favorable. We run it part of the day every two or three days. This gives us plenty of ice for that day and a big enough bag of ice for the freezer to last us for at least 2 more days.

It's not a freezer and as the days get warmer, the ice melts and gets remade into more ice inside of the unit. So I have to be mindful to take the ice out and put it in the freezer if I want to fill a bag for the freezer.

So, what are you saying B.C.? You bought an ice maker and it came with a desk?? :confused: