Difficult locks

Lou_and_Bette

I have a new 405RW and am having a lot of difficulty getting the keys to go into the locks on doors, storage bays, etc. Is there someway to get the little flap that keeps things out of the locks to open easier? I didn't want to put some kind of oily substance in there since it may attract dirt and gum up the locks and I tried to inject some grafite into one of the locks but ended up with black smudges all over the outside of the door so that didn't seem to work either. Keys turn easy once in the lock, it's just getting the key in the lock that is hard.

jbeletti

Lou,

The dust/moisture shield you speak of is available on certain locks but I doubt you can add that feature to your current locks. Since you'd need to do a lock change-out, consider using the barrel style (vending) lock. That should alleviate the issue of difficulty in getting the key in the keyway.

Others here will weigh in on where you can get those locks.

Jim

Lou_and_Bette

Jim, thanks for the fast response. I may not have made my problem clear...it is the dust/moisture shield that is causing my problems. It is so hard to get my keys started into the locking mechanism because of these shields. I can take my small pocketknife blade and start getting the shield out of the way and then put the key in but that is a real PIA process. I was looking for some way to "grease" the shield so it would slide out of the way easier

jbeletti

Hi Lou,

As happens often, I read too fast and miss a key word that changes my whole understanding. You can try to pry off the outer ring of the lock to remove that shield, but honestly, most locks are so flimsy, no guarantee that you could get it pressed back together. My vote for you is lock replacement with a style that better works for you.

Still - perhaps someone will weigh in here who's had the same issue you have and have resolved it without a lock replacement.

Jim

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
Ours are about a year old but have corroded so badly they don't look very nice. Detracts from the otherwise pristine exterior! I am going to replace them all with something like THESE.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Take some WD 40 or graphic and spray the key hole part of the lock mechanism and work it several times. That should solve your problem. Do this periodically to keep things working okay

lduguay

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
Ours are about a year old but have corroded so badly they don't look very nice. Detracts from the otherwise pristine exterior! I am going to replace them all with something like THESE.

Steve, what size barrel does the HL BC use? (to lazy to drive to storage and measure :rolleyes:)

Lance

Lou_and_Bette

thanks for all the responses. I think I will go to the local lock shop and see about getting something similar to what SJH recommended and maybe have all the outside locks key'd the same. P.S. SJH I have a 2009 Ultra in the Red Hot Sunglow/Dusky Gold - love that red color

Vtxkid

Mine were the same way when we purchased our Cyclone... WD-40 is all you need. Like jmgratz mentioned, "do this periodically to keep things working okay" and they will be fine...

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
Not sure, I will look when I get home and get back to you!

Looks like they are 5/8 wide but 1 1/8 long. I should take one out of the door to be sure but a call to Heartland before ordering would be easier.

Louba

I have(had) the same problem with the locks on my new Bighorn. Since I was returning it to the dealer to get a few items taken care of a few days after picking it up, I added the door lock issue to my list. The service person said to never use WD-40 on locks...only white lithium grease. I'll let you know how they work when I get it back. These were so stiff and hard to get the key in I thought the key was going to break.

Lou