RV Park Recommendations for Mount Rushmore

danemayer

Hi all,

We'll be driving across South Dakota and will stop for a day to visit Mount Rushmore in July. Anyone have recommendations on where to stay?

cgunn

We stayed at Rafter J Bar Ranch back in September.
It is really nice...and Big.
It is close to many attractions......Have Fun!!!

jimtoo

When you visit Mount Rushmore be sure and stay and see the evening ceremony. It is an awesome show.

Jim M

alkyspeed

Heartland Park in Hermosa was great. We were there for the Sturgis cycle rally last year. Clean and quiet -- super people.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
I just think it's cool that a Mt Rushmore will be at Mt Rushmore. Now I just have to get my Grand Canyon to the Grand Canyon (on my Bucket List!).

jbeletti

I've traveled through San Antonio with my San Antonio :)

Guess it's easier to visit a Landmark's namesake.

Bighorns can visit the Bighorn Mountain Range :)

loafer

RAfter J Bar is a great spot .The only camp spot closer to Rushmore is the KOA but sites are alot closer so for a big rig like you have Rafter J bar is best IMHO.We stayed last year on the way home from Nashville rally.Make sure you get the pancake breakfast its good And reasonable. There is soooo much to see around that area that 0ne day will not be enuf.
Have fun
Where are you heading to from there ?
Bill

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We stayed in Hill City at Rafter J Bar Ranch campground. Nice and pretty centrally located between Deadwood and Mt Rushmore. Its close to Crazy Horse monument, Custer State Park, Keystone, Wind Cave National Park and the Mammoth digs near Hot springs. You are also within half day drive to Ellis Air Force Base and Devil Towers. Enjoy - way too much to do.

hoefler

We stayed at Beaver Lake in Curtis SD a year ago last September. Nice big spaces and easy on and off there highway.

Sailor

Rafter J is a great RV Park big sites, and will taken care of. Make sure to do the neddles drive. Don't take the 5er on the driive.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
We have been to South Dakota a couple of times. Mt. Rushmore is ok. It use to be better years ago before they commercialized it. It does not cost to see the monument but it cost you to park in their overhead parking garage.

If you are going to that area, stay at Custer SD and I would suggest Custer's Gulch RV Park. Nice place good price and pretty quite. From there it is close to Crazy Horse which has a fantastic light show at night. Get their early and park on the front row of the parking lot for a great laser light show. While your there go to the two scenic drives, Iron Mountain and Needles and Wilderness Loop.
If you go there and just see Mt. Rushmore you will be disappointed. I have made some links so that you can see some photos of our trip in 2009.

Also if your around that area the first of August you might cruise through Sturgis. Be sure to get a reservation before you go at this time of year.

Travel safe
BC

Then you can go to Mt. Rushmore which is not very far away.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I give another vote for Rafter J Bar. Been there a couple of times. And agree with Jimtoo. Go to Mt Rushmore in the day and evening. Actually everything that the others have said is right on. Too bad you only have one day there.
Bighorn traveling through.........check my avitar.

Peace
Dave

rjr6150

Another vote for Rafter. This will be our 7th year going up there. When you call ask for the Island area spaces very large and not awning to awning.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I have a question for some of you that have been to Rafter. It's rates are $41 off season and $51 In Season. Is it really worth $51 per night?

I don't need all the extras above a nice campground, full services and a fair price. I am not trying to push Custer's Gulch but it is a nice place and the rates are $35 for 50amp full services even when Sturgis is going on the first of August.

I am not trying to cause an argument, but just wondered if everyone that is recommending campgrounds are actually paying $40 and above for a campsite? I paid $70 a night in Florida but this place was really nice and we only stayed for 2 days. Most of the places we stay we try to keep under $30. I like the COE's for $10 (no sewer on sites is ok for that price).

I am not trying to slam anyone, just curious if you really have no problem with those rates. Rayford Crossing is a 10/10/10 and their rates are $42. Kerrville's Buckhorn $37.80 with GS Discount and you better be really good to beat this campground.

Rafter J Bar - Custer's Gulch - Rayford Crossing - Buckhorn Lake Resort

Just my opinion..
BC

DougAndJudy

We stayed at Heartland Campground in Hermosa last year and they honored Passport America for the entire 3 weeks we were there. It came out to less than $20/day. The park isn't fancy, but it is close to Mt. Rushmore and Custer State Park.

jpjulian

My vote is for Custer State Park. No full hookups but it is a really nice place and very scenic....... Duh! That whole area is scenic!

Joe

Sailor

Something else to do in the Black Hills in Custer State Park they have a summer stock theater that is a lot of fun if you like that kind of thing.