Thoughts on a Year Round Camping Format for Florida Members

floridarandy

Mickey -

My 2 cents. While the Rally format is fun it requires a HUGE committment from you and a unique campground that can not only appeal to a large group but accomodate the group by "holding" spots while everyone waits to see who's going. It also assumes there's a single location & date convenient to everyone...which obviously can never happen.

In addition to perhaps "seasonal" Rallys....like our first at Lazy Days, I'm building on Eric's idea of "camp-outs". Steve & Donna "Charris" here organized a "camping club" that might have a format that would work for the non-Rally interim goal of folks wanting to camp together in different parts of our beautiful state. The club selects a group of campgrounds, commercial & state parks, and publishes the list and dates a year in advance. Anyone who wants to attend knows long in advance the "when and where" and can make their individual arrangements to attend and the number who show up makes the event. My understanding is that contact is made with the campground and they are typically willing to use "best efforts" to group campers together. But heck...how bad would it be to ride your bike to see an attendee that wasn't "next door". Might spread the party and rowdiness around the park instead of concentrating the commotion.

I'm NOT suggesting we have to do this....or that this format is right for us...and certainly not volunteering Steve and Donna to organize it...just offering the format for everyone's consideration. Anyone interested in checking out their format can see:

http://www.floridapopupcampers.com/

And, just for an idea of what their schedule looks like:

http://floridapopupcampers.yuku.com/forums/29/2011-FPUC-Monthly-Campout-Schedule

http://floridapopupcampers.yuku.com/forums/29/2011-FPUC-Monthly-Campout-Schedule

As you can see they're working out more than a year. In our case it would be easier, I think, over time, for more folks to meet, explore more locations, and build the camaraderie that might even make our State Rally's look more like the National :).

As I said....my 2 cents.

Randy

lmcclure

1st Tennessee Member#1084
You might look at some Good Sam Chapters and how they arrange their Campouts. Florida has some really active Chapters and would love for you to come visit. We (the ones that I belong to in Tennessee) start our year out camping in March and we go until November. We try to select campgrounds within a 125 mile radius from Chattanooga where the majority live. We have 3 meals together when not camping Dec., Jan, and Feb. We always get a discount on the rate, and elect a WagonMaster to arrange sites. They then bring the list to the membership to vote on. Our Chapter has 19 rigs and usually 15 - 17 show up each time. You can look at the state site or look at the tennessee site www.tngoodsam.com and check out the chapters and where they have listed their schedules for 2011.

SmokeyBare

In our early years, as we were raising our daughters, I worked for a Natural Gas distribution company in Ohio. The Company had a Un-Official Camping group that did that very concept Randy. As the camping season for Ohio was yet to kick off for the year a list was created of the planned "Camp-Outs". It was sent to each local Gas Company office to be posted. Some of our best memories bringing up the kids were our weekends and weeks vacation time camping.

As already stated, local chapters of Good Sam's Club could be a helpful guide to get some State Chapters of Heartland Owners Club started on a Club Camping Season Schedule. Even if some folks can't make plans that far ahead, they can always refer to the Heartland Owners Club State Chapter's List of Camp outs for a spur of the weekend venture out with their RV. They might not get prime locations for their rig when they make reservations so late... but they sure will be welcome by those who are attending the "Camp-Out".

Great Idea in my view.

MICKEY

Past Florida Chapter Leader
I think its a great idea also. There are many parks in Florida that are must see. We manage to get out at least once per month. I haven't scheduled any thing for months of April, May, June or July for the club because of all of my commitments to Heartland events in those months. It is my goal to have some of our group to travel to some of the events in the Eastern Region such as Cherokee 4-29-11 for East Coast Regionals and the Goshen National Rally 6-15-11. I know these are long hauls but the rewards usually outweight the drawbacks.
Why don't we set up a group of campgrounds that we would like to see/visit, set dates for each and see what happens. I believe many would attend more local events and just like the rally set, you would see many of the same faces and new ones as well at each event. I, like Randy and SmokeyBare, believe this would help make a cohesive group of like minded campers.
I have certain responsibilities to Heartland management, but am not limited on other events. I would like someone with a little time, to step up to organize this. It would be fun! PS don't forget about Topsail Hill.

Last edited:

hillsonwheels

I kinda/sorta think we'd be up for this sort of thing in the winter months. We return to FL in the OCT/NOV timeframe and depart toward the end of APR. Please keep us in mind as this develops. And, I'm sure that it will!!!!

MICKEY

GUYS AND GIRLS;
After reviewing a couple of other sites, I believe this would work for Heartland Owners as well. Not only work but would really be fun for all of us. Why don't we begin a list of CG we want to visit, post them on this thread and I'll call to each and find out details, and then get some idea of when people want to go to each. Folks who have been to certain CG in certain times of year may have positive or negative experience (like yellow fly season at Okeefenokee) and can save us problems. Remember to be considerate for rigs of all sizes when thinking about CG's. One thing I really liked about some other clubs is they took turns hosting the event, setting a theme, ect. This relieves the strain on one or two people. We have some very tallented people in our group who can bring great things to the club. Thanks Randy and Karen for bringing this up.

MICKEY

I would like to add a couple of sites I believe we should visit in our monthly campouts. One is Rockcrusher Canyon. It should be visited in the fall during the seafood festival at Homasassa Springs. It has plenty of large sites. The other is Flamingo Lake in Jacksonville. It has a great lake stocked with fish, lots of sites, gets pretty busy during holiday weekends, lots going on, very nice people. The new side is a little short on shade but lots of area, older part more beautiful, shaded. TopSail is on my list of places. Looks great and has great reviews.
Who's got more. Remember to think about large rig friendly sites.

MICKEY

Just wanted to check again with everyone about monthy camp outs. We have started a list of sites. We can go ahead and schedule these and hope that there is enough interest to make it work. If you have an inkling that this is something we could do as a group, however small that group may be, let me know.

I almost forgot; I just found out that my grandson and son were free for Memorial Day weekend. I called Disney and got into Fort Wilderness with no problem. If anyone is interested in Fort Wilderness call them. We can make our own majic in that place.