Landing gear motor problem

nugget

Help
I own a sundance 3300sk 5th wheel.
VIN# 5SFGF33249E032054

When raising the front of the trailer when it is off the truck the motor works very hard and frequently blows the 30 amp fuse. It has done this since new.

I believe the motor is not strong enough to raise the front properly.

The motor model # is: 1-065-041012-01.

The gearbox information is:
Part#: 125340
Model # 1A065012-02-01
S/N -04767
6 amps
Gear ratio 35,3:1

If the gearbox assembly says 6 amps, why does it blow a 30 amp fuse?
Your catalogue shows a standard and high speed assembly. The high speed draws 6 amps and the standard draws 30 amps.
Could I have a standard motor on a high speed assembly?

What motors do the bigger (big horn, landmark, etc) have?

What can be done to give the landing gear the power to properly raise the front of the 5th wheel?

Please help

Clare

jbeletti

Clare,

If you are addressing Heartland RVs, please phone them today at 877-262-8032 or email all that information to them at service@heartlandrvs.com If you end up emailing, include your phone number so they can call you back.

Jim

caissiel

If you are blowing fuse with your motor on the landing gear I would check the amount of Pressure required to raise the trailer front manually.
On My BC tha crank was very hard to turn when raising mine manualy.
I removed the landing jacks and noticed the pinions and gears were pushed out of alignment and jamming. No way was I going to alow the motor raising mine that way so I greased and modified the top gear holder to keep the gear in line with the pinion. The wear on my pinions and Gears were already showing.

This in my 3rd fift wheel and this was my third time at reinforcing the Gear / Pinion on the landing gears.

I refuse to have any of my equipment to be out of maintenance and do make sure they work like it should

I will revise this message to indicate my posting when I have it located.

Here is the Post of my repairs
//heartlandowners.org/showthread.ph...hanks-Gary521)?p=157761&highlight=#post157761

Attachments

• HPIM8392.jpg
    HPIM8392.jpg
    307.6 KB · Views: 129
  • HPIM8389.jpg
    HPIM8389.jpg
    221.1 KB · Views: 97
  • HPIM8390.jpg
    HPIM8390.jpg
    216 KB · Views: 93
  • HPIM8391.jpg
    HPIM8391.jpg
    240.5 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:

PUG

Pug
Claire; Is your trl under warranty? Hopefully it is.

I have a 3950 and burn't the first motor out and they replaced it under warranty with a heavier duty motor. That lasted about two years and it burn't out. The Heartlands are drastically underengineered on the landing gear. I believe on some of the new big ones they have gone to a hydraulic system. About time but that has been a hard time to get there.

I just spent five hundred installing a dual motor system that appears to handle the weight but time will tell. Look under Landing Gear for more info. Good Luck and tell them you want it fixed right, not just a motor replacement that will burn out again.

PUG

Pug
I ordered it from Venture Mnfting. See my post under "Front Landing Gear" forum. It gives names, numbers, costs, installation procedures. etc. I just put it on about three weeks ago while here in Tucson and haven't used it other than to unhook the pickup when I got through but it seemed to lift it easily and neither motor got over lightly warm.

It took about 5 hours with two of us who are about half handy. Good luck. If under warranty let them fix it while upgrading to the dual system. If not don't waste your time with just replacing the current single motor.

m5mack

I just took delivery of my new 2011 B/C 3550 TSL. When it was delivered the landing gear didn't work. I had to manually lower the gear to get the camper off the delivery truck! What a great first experience for my new camper. Last night I got my hitch installed on my own vehicle and tried to hook up the camper while blowing 2 more fuses! Really? I bought Heartland because of the claim of reliability! I hope my ownership experience gets better! Reading these posts are not giving me a warm fuzzy! I'm not really shure what I should do! If the dealer was closer I'd be dropping it off for a full refund!

GOTTOYS

I just took delivery of my new 2011 B/C 3550 TSL. When it was delivered the landing gear didn't work. I had to manually lower the gear to get the camper off the delivery truck! What a great first experience for my new camper. Last night I got my hitch installed on my own vehicle and tried to hook up the camper while blowing 2 more fuses! Really? I bought Heartland because of the claim of reliability! I hope my ownership experience gets better! Reading these posts are not giving me a warm fuzzy! I'm not really shure what I should do! If the dealer was closer I'd be dropping it off for a full refund!

The fuses may be blowing because you are bottoming out the landing gear. You need to look at the stops on the top part of the legs when you are bringing them up and turn off the switch before they make contact. I bet everyone here has had the same thing happen to them if they have the electric gear. After you get used to it it's not a big deal. The electric gear on my BC has been very reliable, just like the rest of the trailer...Don

mountain1

In the beginning I also went thorugh fuses as youa re doing. Finally took it in and the extended warranty and lippert took care of installing a new motor. it has now worked for one year. it was very frustrating and someone recommended I go to a larger fuse. Factury representative said no way. i hand cranked so much I was ready to explode. Much nicer when you can use the electric one.

branson4020

Icantre Member
In the beginning I also went thorugh fuses as youa re doing. Finally took it in and the extended warranty and lippert took care of installing a new motor. it has now worked for one year. it was very frustrating and someone recommended I go to a larger fuse. Factury representative said no way. i hand cranked so much I was ready to explode. Much nicer when you can use the electric one.

Good thing you listened to the factory guy. In this rather shoddy design, the fuse is not mainly for electrical protection, but mechanical protection. If the fuse doesn't blow, the gearbox will. Some HL coaches, like mine, came with a 30A breaker instead of a fuse. Venture does not approve this because the circuit breaker may not react quickly enough to prevent damage to the gearbox. Ya know, limit switches would cost about $25....

rebootsemi

On out Sundance I painted a white strip around the leg so I know when to stop on the up cycle, have not had a trouble blowing fuses lifting the camper but this 3000RK is not that heavy. This unit has both a circuit and a fuse in the power to the switch line.

mesteve

I agree that the $3 inline fuse holder was a skimp over limit switches.

Never once had a problem with the fuse once I quit running it all the way up...