Bighorn - Reciever hitch on 2985

wonka

Hello,
We have a quad and two motorbikes to drag along with us, best case - in a trailer behind our Bighorn. Other than engineering the hitch to work around the rear jacks, are there any issues to consider? We were told "Oh it's done all the time, just use a good welding shop" when we were looking locally, any concerns about frame strength, design perameters etc. Bikes and quad are about 1000#s, looking at a 1800# trailer, so gross under 3000#s.
Thanks
Bill:confused::confused::confused:

jbeletti

Bill,

Heartland is not going to be able to give you any assistance on this. The guidance I'd give is:
1. Our frame supplier (Lippert) does not build or rate the frame for pulling a trailer behind it
2. It's not something we've designed the frame for
3. Lippert would void your frame warranty for doing so
4. Towing nearly 3,000 pounds behind the RV is more than I'd want to risk

That said, as you've been told, some owners have done this. I can't say if any have had frame issues as a result of it or not. Sorry Bill, but the risk is all yours on this. Be aware also that there are only, I believe, 7 states that allow double towing.

Jim

Jim

Wharton

Besides the concerns stated above you need to be careful which states you go through with triple towing. Some states(I don't know which ones) forbid this.

wonka

Thanks for the responses, I'm guessing this is a case of caveat emptor, and our local salesman was simply saying what he felt would get him the sale. Well that didn't work out so well for either of us, we bought from somewhere else, but will be driving two rigs to our camp sites when we are using the toys. These states allow triples with conditions
Alaska
Arizona
Arkansas
California
Colorado
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Iowa
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Maryland
Michigan
Minnesota
Mississippi
Missouri
Montana
Nebraska
Nevada
New Mexico
North Dakota
Ohio
Oklahoma
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Wisconsin
Wyoming
As well as Alberta, Sask, and Manitoba, get conflicting results for Ontario.

Last edited:
I have a question about receiver hitches also. I talked to my dealer about installing a hitch and using it for extra storage and possibly for making a box to mount a generator in. The dealer said that they make sure they run the reciever hitch to both sides of the frame. I am wondering how the extra weight on the end of the trailer will affect the frame and also the towing.

I have just purchased a 3670 today :)

jimtoo

Hi gemini5362,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

Most likely adding a hitch to the frame of your unit will void the warranty. You might want to check on that. There are a lot people that have added a receiver hitch with no problems when used for bikes or light use.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M