Wrong time on cell phone question

robnmo

My wife and I have Verizon for cell phones and have had for years (starting with an old bag phone). We've traveled from Indiana to Texas, Colorado, Canada, and up and down the east coast from D.C. to Key West, our phones always change time when we enter a new time zone, etc. We're currently in Chocowinity, NC in a campground, and a friend is with us, we all have Verizon, his phone shows the correct time, my wifes does "most" of the time, otherwise hers shows a time 2 hrs earliier, mines constantly shows 2 hrs earlier, I did the *228, no help, shut it down, removed battery, etc, when it comes back up the time is correct but within seconds it goes back 2 hrs. When I get a text message it shows correct time then again reverts 2 hrs off. When I leave the campground the go to Greenville the time is correct, soon as I get to the campground it's 2 hrs off. Stopped at the Verizon store today, they did a software update, the sales/service person said they've never seen or heard of a phone doing that before as they get their time from the receiving tower. It showed the correct time when we left the store in Greenville................until I got to the campground it then went to 2 hrs earlier again. It's not a Droid or smart phone just a simple open type w/keypad LG phone and my wife's is a LG Chocolate. Anybody got any ideas on what I can do to get the correct time.

goldenbetty

goldenbetty
Hey, give this a try.

Set the time in the settings menu manually, then also in the settings menu go to network and enable auto-update. Ta-Da!

robnmo

Hey, give this a try.

Set the time in the settings menu manually, then also in the settings menu go to network and enable auto-update. Ta-Da!

Well can't find a time setting in the phone, on network it's in auto mode, I got to the campground tonight, it had the correct time for about 1 hr then went 2 hrs back, the wife's phone is still showing the correct time now for the last 2 days. I think I'll just look at the time and subtract 2 hrs till we leave here. LOL

robnmo

sounds like it time for a new phone.:)

Yeah that's what the salesman at the Verizon store said, mine's not even 2 yrs old yet. My wife's phone has now gone to 2 hrs backwards, we just went into Washington, NC (about 3 miles from the campground) and they both still have the incorrect time, so must be the tower here for some reason. Talked to my son in law, he's a tech wizard, after doing all his do's and try this's, his FINAL answer was "I think you guys are in the twilight zone". Oh well no big deal, just never saw this happen before so thought I'd toss it out to see if there was a remedy. Thanks

olcoon

Maybe you should do what I've thought about doing more times than I care to admit. Go to the local trap & skeet range, give it to the guy in charge & yell PULL!

hoefler

Check to see if it is set for he correct country. The sales rep had mine set to central America instead of central standard time.

Dutch & Di

It seems like you have tried just about everything. My BB phone I have set to automatically change time zones when we travel. I leave my husbands so I manually change zones. What I do is go to 1. settings and tools. 2.tools. 3. World Clock. 4. Make sure North America is selected then 5. click on the "cities" which on his phone is the the upper right button on the phone. 6. Choose the city that is closest to where you are then hit OK. That may pull you into the correct time zone. If it doesn't work you're no worse off than you were before. Hope it helps, Diana

robnmo

It seems like you have tried just about everything. My BB phone I have set to automatically change time zones when we travel. I leave my husbands so I manually change zones. What I do is go to 1. settings and tools. 2.tools. 3. World Clock. 4. Make sure North America is selected then 5. click on the "cities" which on his phone is the the upper right button on the phone. 6. Choose the city that is closest to where you are then hit OK. That may pull you into the correct time zone. If it doesn't work you're no worse off than you were before. Hope it helps, Diana

Diana, thanks did that one too, my phone actually started showing the correct time a couple days ago but my wifes then started showing a time 2 hr's earlier.............figure must be a glitch somewhere, 1st time we ever had that happen, anyway no biggy, we rolled out of the twilight zone this morning, now in Wytheville, VA for the night, been on correct time ever since we got a couple miles from the campground in Chocowinity, NC.

nscaler2

I really think this type of thing is related to cell tower screw ups. We have a goofy problem. When at home, my wife's phone, which is the same as mine, looses track of the tower overnight. In the morning if I or anyone else calls her, after what sounds like a few rings on my end, the call goes to her call box. All the while, her phone has never rung. She has to reboot the phone and then it is fine for the rest of the day. Mine does not do this at all. We spent a week at my daughter's house a few miles away babysitting or two grandsons, while my daughter and her husband took a Spring break. For the whole week, my wife's phone did not have any trouble at all. Oh, and by the way, this is my wife's second phone that does this. We called Verizon about the same problem with the fist one and they sent a new on out overnight. Obviously it does the same thing. IMO the cell phone companies can't keep up with the technology and the loads that are being placed on some of their networks.

davelinde

Did VZ have an answer for you? I'm curious actually... I never had TZ issues until I got a global smartphone. The first time I had trouble was in Jerusalem... outside the old city the phone was fine, inside it jump back 5 hours - kind of bad since it was my only clock at the time. Now (back in the US) I've seen it jump forward/back an hour every once in a while. There is surely a reason, not sure if there's a solution.

robnmo

Did VZ have an answer for you? I'm curious actually... I never had TZ issues until I got a global smartphone. The first time I had trouble was in Jerusalem... outside the old city the phone was fine, inside it jump back 5 hours - kind of bad since it was my only clock at the time. Now (back in the US) I've seen it jump forward/back an hour every once in a while. There is surely a reason, not sure if there's a solution.

Dave

Never did get an answer, the local Verizon store in Greenville did a software upgrade, etc. We've talked to store techs at a couple stores since we've been home, they have no clue, we keep hearing the word "glitch". That was the only time it's ever happened, and it was just right at the campground in Chocowinity, NC. Time warp I reckon.