Getting best tradein value

DWH

I've seen posted the question of trading a 5th wheel and will the wholesale dealers be able to do much for you in this area. I want to share our positive experience. We owned a 2010 Landmark Grand Canyon. For reasons of our own we wanted a Landmark San Antonio. We also added a few options that we wanted. I contacted 3 volume Landmark dealers and got prices for a San Antonio just the way we wanted. They were all competitive and I'm not sure who would have given the best price if I pushed one against the other. They all had at least some room to adjust their quote. The problem was we could only get a wholesale price on our tradein. Again there was some room for movement.
However, RV Capital Wholesalers was also willing to try to sell my unit in a consignment like arrangrment. I took pictures of my unit, which was in excellant condition, and they posted my unit on their site. I told them how much I was willing to pay plus my tradein for the new unit. Therefore they had to get a certain amount for my tradein. If they got more than that for my trade that was their money. They got me thousands more than any of the whosale prices plus the transaction became a trade and therefore I only had to pay sales tax on dollars not covered by trade. You certainly might be able to sell for more on your own, but then you pay sales tax on the whole cost of the new unit. Plus I had no advertising cost. We pick up our 2012 San Antonio April 7th. We're very excited.
We dealt with Gary at RV Capital. He was great.
Hope this helps somebody else.

Doug Hoeffner

sgtbigb

Doug, great information, My wife is also interested in the SaN Antonio, Your information is great!

Wharton

We used a local dealer who is a heavy discounter. We gave him our old rig on consignment, within 2 weeks it was sold for more than we thought it was worth. You just need to find the right person at the right time and everything falls into place. We had originally been worried about doing a consignment but this worked out well................

ihsolutions

Not all states charge you sales tax on only the "difference" between trade and the price of a new unit. Here in Michigan we pay sales tax on whole price of the new unit, regardless. But it is great to hear that it worked out for you and you're getting the new rig. We dealt with Gary also and he was more than patient while I changed my order several times before it started production.