Whatcha usin now?

TXBobcat

Fulltime
So far my and my DW's old Moto Razer cell phones are still working. Last week I was having trouble with my battery charging. I called in to a local AT&T store to see what a new battery would cost. The durn guy giggled.. "We don't carry batteries for those old phones!"

HAH. Old I just got it in 2007 and it works good. Found out the charger died. Phone and battery still good. Wheee.

But if I do have to give up the ghost? What am I going to have to get for a cell phone. One of those big bricks? I carry my Razor on my belt with no problem but a Zoid or what ever would take up half of my side.

So what are many of you using. Tell us the carrier, type of device (want to say cell phone but the new ones does everything including talk to you when no one is on the phone). It use to be simple.. What do you like about your "cell phone" and not like about it.

BC

PS.. I use to have a Bag Phone.. Remember them...;)

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
My wife and I both have the EVO 4G with Sprint.

She has had hers since they came out, I finally gave in to the "smart phone" thing when my old Motorola Nextell gave up. I went 5 years with out a contract but that has changed...

The EVO is simple to use, even I can use it without reading the Instructions on how to...

I have had it about 4 weeks now but I do have a contract again.

We both have the unlimited plan with Sprint, $69.00/month, unlimited everything and we get a discount because it is in the business name.

We gave away our GPS, the sprint navigation is very good.

We use DW's for the hot spot also when we travel. It can handle up to 5 devices at one time-one of which is always the phone itself. No more Verizon and cradlepoint. We use a wireless printer and 2 laptops all at the same time. And it is fast.

After using it, I really dont know why I waited so long.

And yes, I do remember the bag phones...loved the thing but it was hard to clip it to my belt.:D

On an edit, I think there is a $10.00 charge for the 4G....even though there is no 4G in SC yet. Not real sure about the $10.00 charge though, I never see any bills, I am not allowed...not sure why .. it was explained to me once but I got confused:confused:

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I agree with Richard, if your phone is still good and you're happy with it, go on line and search using your phones model#. Much better than a new contract!!!

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Ah Yes.. A new contract is not a problem. I am using AT&T and will always have a cell phone which means a new contract is always in the future.

What I am intrested in is what are you using for a phone. It seems all the new phones (?) are small Internet computers.

IPhone, Droid, noid or what ever they are called now days.

Actually how good are they and do you like them. They seem bulky and if your going to use the internet, the screen is small and the keyboard. I see people using them by typing with their thumbs.

My faithful Razor will some day give up the ghost and I am wondering what's the best options.

BC

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
My wife and I both have the EVO 4G with Sprint.

She has had hers since they came out, I finally gave in to the "smart phone" thing when my old Motorola Nextell gave up. I went 5 years with out a contract but that has changed...

The EVO is simple to use, even I can use it without reading the Instructions on how to...

I have had it about 4 weeks now but I do have a contract again.

We both have the unlimited plan with Sprint, $69.00/month, unlimited everything and we get a discount because it is in the business name.

We gave away our GPS, the sprint navigation is very good.

We use DW's for the hot spot also when we travel. It can handle up to 5 devices at one time-one of which is always the phone itself. No more Verizon and cradlepoint. We use a wireless printer and 2 laptops all at the same time. And it is fast.

After using it, I really dont know why I waited so long.

And yes, I do remember the bag phones...loved the thing but it was hard to clip it to my belt.:D

On an edit, I think there is a $10.00 charge for the 4G....even though there is no 4G in SC yet. Not real sure about the $10.00 charge though, I never see any bills, I am not allowed...not sure why .. it was explained to me once but I got confused:confused:

Larry...really interested in this set-up. Our Verizon contract is up in September and thinking of switching. One question. I see you use one phone for your hotspot when you're both together..what happens when one is gone?? If you're alone and using your own phone for a hotspot, what happens to incoming calls, etc.?? Need to know cause DH travels alot and I'd have to use my own phone while he's gone...

One other thing...I see you have unlimited everything for $69...how'd you get that? The only thing I see for $69 is unlimited everything EXCEPT anytime minutes which are limited to 450???

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
You can still answer the call even when using the phone as a hotspot and it will not drop the internet. You can do both at the same time.

As far as the unlimited service, many years ago when we went with Sprint, this was on eof the plans and we both had it. When Sam got her EVO 4G, she was still under contract from a previous phone with this plan. It just rolled over to her EVO. My old phone was actually under Nextell for many years with no contract and unlimited useage. Even though with the new phone I have a contract, I am now under the Sprint plan and Sam's phone is the primary, so I got to keep the unlimited usage also.Here is the closest thing I could find that Sprint offers now
http://shop2.sprint.com/NASApp/onli...Part=&filterStringParamName=&newZipCode=29153

It was under business. I do see that on the simply everything plan, it is $99.00 now and they have a clause now that says "unlimited on our network". I guess the plan may have changed over the years. If that includes the $10.00 4G charge and tax that might be the same plan except the minutes. I did not look to see what the limit was.

Just a side note. Orlando is a 4G city and when we were there this past January using the phone as a hotspot we could not believe how fast it was. You really could not tell the difference between using the phone tethered to a laptop or using our internet provider at home. I would imagine all 4G networks this well but really dont know. We have been Sprint/Nextell for so long I cant remember what our service was like with anyone else.