The new back up cam will not work.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
Got the new back up cam with the new rig. Had a picture yesterday but this morning nothing. Any ideas? Is there a way to reset the cam? What is actually hooked up to the cam? Anything might help. Thought that maybe shutting all power (AC and 12v).

Michael

Ps; did not see a good spot for this. Maybe a new thread in the electronics area?

jbeletti

Michael,

Here's a link to the product so others can see what we're talking about.

And here's what I know of how it works, based on my on exploration:

1. The camera is wired all the way to a transmitter that is located in the generator compartment
  2. The transmitter takes a 12 volt DC feed. It also should have a short rubber antenna - same as what's on the LCD monitor
  3. The monitor is actually a monitor receiver. It has a rubber antenna that screws onto it
  4. The wireless signal is actually WiFi. Open your laptop and look at available wireless networks. If you see CAMOS - the transmitter is on
  5. The transmitter and receiver, though WiFi, are paired with each other automatically

So, the only idea I have for you is to check to make sure the transmitter is on and has the antenna on it. Reason I say this, is:
1. Transmitters need an antenna :)
2. And mine was missing :eek:

This all said, I've not had the best luck with this setup, running down the road. Backing into a site, pretty good luck. To do all over again, I'd see if I could get a stand-alone receiver and run the video output of it into my Alpine head-unit in the truck. One thing I don't need is another LCD screen in the cab :)

Here's some contact info:

Bryan Holmes
Customer Service/Technical Advisor
MITO Corporation - Elkhart, Indiana
1-888-433-6486 x261
Fax: (574) 522-5480
http://www.mito-oem.com

2psnapod2

Thanks Jim, sounds just like I was thinking. Just was not sure if what I read in the small amount of manuals that were supplied was the set up used. I will check in the gen compartment tomorrow and check the transmitter out. Hopefully something as easy as a wire is off to fix. Already had one of those today. Them darn connectors don't always stay put. I will let you know how it goes. And no another monitor is not exactly needed but I'll work with it.

MC9

Not trying to hijack this thread. I couldn't find back-up cameras any where else. I decided to haul my golf cart back to MI from AZ. I purchased a cheap Peak camera system (50.00). Mounted the camera hanging from the rear window valance on a little piece of plywood. cut the little camera wire and soldered in about 30 ft. of phone wire. and ran it on top of the slide and such to the front closet. Plugged the xmitter into the closet light and set it on the closet shelf. Plugged the receiver (2.5 in.) into the truck and it works perfectly. The receiver has to be fairly close to the transmitter for these cheapies to work.

2psnapod2

So far my back up cam is still not working. I am getting the signal but no picture. I see the signal on my phone so I know it's transmitting. What I don't know is if the cabling is connected from the cam or if the cam is sending a pictue at all. I know it worked because I had a pic before. I am going to have to get out there and trouble shoot it more.

jbeletti

Michael,

I learned a couple things about these systems today:
  1. The transmitter is designed as a low power unit
  2. The transmitter pings the receiver periodically to see if it's there and on
  3. Firmware in early produced units may be part of the connectivity issues you may be having
  4. There's a troubleshooting guide that Mito put together that is not part of the original manual. I have a hard copy of it and will try to get a PDF of it posted

I had MITO, the distributor in Elkhart out today to look at my system. They confirmed the firmware was an early build and likely part of my issue. They swapped my system out. So far so good. We are on the road tomorrow, so that will be the real test.

Here's some contact info for you to try:
MITO Corporation
888-433-6486
www.mito-oem.com

For others interested - here's a link to the manual for this system on H.O.M.

2psnapod2

CAMOS Troubleshooting Guide has been uploaded to H.O.M. (Heartland Owners Manuals) [link].

Jim

Thanks Jim, I will be working this real soon. Our first real outing is next week. We also ordered a set of the RV Headsets. They seem to work. Will definitely report on those as soon as I can.

2psnapod2

just an update on the back up cam. Took it to the dealer and they have ordered a new system. Hopefully as Jim said earlier, this should take care of this issue. Thanks everyone.

2psnapod2

Another update on my Back up cam issue. The factory sent out a replacement. Once I changed out the transmitter in the gen area, it works great. Was seating in the livingroom area with it getting 12 volts by the Entertainment center I was recieving the signal from about 35 feet or so away. Works great! Another issue down. Michael

Last edited:

porthole

Retired
So Jim, in your playing and exploration, do you think it will be easy enough to output video to a different monitor?
I am considering adding a backup cam to the trailer and feeding a mirror monitor. The new truck has a tailgate cam which works great. Mirror cams (factory) may be just the ticket to have a "full time" rear view cam.

When I saw the wireless cam on the new order sheets I thought no way that will work without issues. But since it is wired to the front compartment this is a very doable option.