Flooded my storage today, and it can happen to anyone

caissiel

No Fault to Heartland but I got in trouble today.

While pouring water in a bucket, using the outside shower I later found out that the basement storage got all wet. Everything on the floor got wet and for a while I blamed it on the rain.

After looking for a leak at the water piping area, I did not find any leaks. While checking all the fittings the shower hose fitting stayed in my hands. The fitting broke off while I must have pulled a little to much on the hose to reach the bucket.

The fitting is just a little plasting adapter that is sure to brake if to much pressure is applied to the hose.

Because the hose has to be pushed in, its becomming a problem to anchor the end so the fitting would not be the possible weak point. I will look for a solution because it will not happen again I worked over 4 hrs drying the area.

My repair was using a Closet 3/8" flange and a 1/2" FIP to 3/8" tubing adapter that is much stronger then the little plastic fitting. $10 for parts.

Last edited:

YaShouldaGotaDiesel

Wouldn't that be 1/2" jic (47degreeflare) x 3/8" npt? Not being smart***, just trying to get it right, so not to get wrong fitting.

Last edited by a moderator:

TedS

Probably FIP, female iron pipe, female pipe thread. JIC in my hydraulic experience is generally 37degree.

caissiel, sounds like you made a good fix. Gotta love plastic fittings! They give you something to do.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
The only time I pull that shower hose is when I winterize/dewinterize the rig. If I need to rinse something, I use the line off my (home-made) UDC manifold. Better pressure, longer flexible hose, and an adjustable nozzle. Since it's a potential leak source, I might disconnect it and dead-head the lines to it.