Installing Washer Dryer Vent!

J

Jeff

Hi Folks:

Here is a detailed (pictures included) description of how I installed the Washer Dryer Vent in my Golden Gate.

First off, you have to cut a hole as shown in the picture thru the paneling. You can't remove this paneling, as it is attached in a way that it won't come out easily. So, I simply ROUGH cut a hole, using my sabre saw big enough for a 4 inch Hole saw to fit into.

After you cut away the paneling you need to drill a small PILOT hole through the inner wall and thru the outside GELCOAT wall. Keeping the drill as straight as possible.

After completing the pilot hole, you should go outside and see where the small hole came thru. In my case, it came thru at a point, just behind the nose of the trailer. In my book, perfect!

Back inside, take a 4 inch hole saw and cut your first hole thru the inner wall. Remember to take it easy, the wall is very thin and it won't take long to cut thru.

Inside your first hole will be alot of insulation. You will have to push this stuff up into the wall cavity to make room for your next cut in the outside Gelcoat.

SCARY PART COMING UP!

Cutting into the Gelcoat wall is a little un-nerving. Knowing you have to get it right the first time.

Going outside again, works best with a cordless drill. Take your 4 inch hole saw and place the guide bit in the pilot hole you drilled earlier. SLOWLY, begin cutting the hole. Take your time, don't force the drill, just let it cut thru the gelcoat and eventually into the inner wall. That all said, you should have a perfectly cut 4 inch hole to place your flapper vent into.

Valuable lesson here: I used the Splendide Vent Kit. It is designed to fit perfectly into a 4 inch hole. If you use a different vent kit from say Home Depot or Lowes, chances are you will need to cut a 4 1/8 inch hole. Once you cut that big of a hole, you can't go back and re-cut to a bigger size, it will just chew up and split the gelcoat.

So, now we have this big 4 inch hole in the side of the trailer. Pretty good DRAFT!

Place the Splendide flapper valve in the outside hole. Test Fit! Check the inside wall to make sure it came all the way thru. This shouldn't be a problem. Back outside: Make sure you clean off the gelcoat good this time, getting rid of dirt and oil on the outside. Get some Outdoor Silcone sealer and but a nice bead around the flapper valve flange. Insert flange in hole and use the self tapping screws included to screw it in place. Wipe off excess sealer and you are finished with this portion.

Next put on the outside duct. Same procedure, make sure the siding is clean of any dirt and oil. But, this time, use just a small amount of silicone sealer on the duct. Using the 5 self-tapping screws that come with it. Install over the Flapper valve. In the process of putting this piece on, I used a level to insure it was level with the coach and wasn't off center.

Inside the cabinet, I put a nice bead of silicone around the pipe coming into the unit.

Then to dress things up. I cut a 10 x 10 piece of 1/8 inch plywood to fit over the original rough cut opening. 4 screws in the corner and it was finished.

Next, put the dryer vent hose on using a large hose clamp, supplied by Splendide.

Project Finished!

Total time start to finish, about 5 hours.

Now, I will say this. Heartland usually puts the vent under the trailer near the hitch. This is OK, but the flapper valve then hangs open all the time, making it possible for small woodland creatures to get inside. Granted, they'd be crawling into your vent hose, but could possibly get into the coach eventually. Solution to this problem, put a small screen over the Vent cover opening.

Look at the pictures to see what I did!

Take Care.

Jeff

glen

hi, did a similar mod on my Montana, a small piece of foam, like the kind they put in pillows, will compress just a little and when installed from the outside, will keep the critters out when you aren't using the W/D ...;)

cdbMidland

Past Michigan Chapter Leader
Jeff, nice looking job. Perhaps Heartland should consider this as the NEW way of installing the dryer vent. I think it looks better here than through the front.

Thanks for the details and the pics.

jbeletti

Chuck,

When my coach was being built, I asked Heartland to put my vent in the side and they did. My hope is the same as yours, that this will become the standard location. Makes more sense too (it's per the install manual and the flapper door stays shut when not in use).

Jim

slaytop

Hi All,
I was reading this string with interest because we are thinking of installing a Splendide 2100 W/D in our Shenandoah. The closet is on the curb side next to the commode room. There isn't enough room to put a flexible dryer hose behind the appliance because the closet is 23" deep and the overall depth of the W/D specs read 23 3/8", including the water hoses. I assume the metal cabinet will fit in the 23" available and the door and handles will protrude into the closet door area slightly. Have any of you had the same tight conditions to work with? How did you manage the dryer hose location? It looks like I would have to run the dryer vent straight through the wall behind the unit. I'd be in trouble if there was a stud in that location. The specs say to install the duct with a downward slope. Any ideas?
Thanks, Larry

jbeletti

Larry,

Not what you want to hear, but looking at the Splendide data sheet for the 2100, I don't think the closet is deep enough for it. Looks like the 2000 "may" just fit.

You may want to double-check with your dealer or the factory to see if they are putting 2100s in there.

Best of luck and let us know what you end up doing.

Jim

fireflipper

EX-Travel Bug
Fireflipper

HI Slaytop
I am not sure about the Shenendoah. My Grand Canyon was delivered with the washer installed, The dryer vent is coming out of the bottom of the fiver on the truck overhang area. Not real convienent, I have to make sure that the vent is held shut when not in use, but my wife loves the washer on board.

slaytop

Jim & Fireflipper,
Thanks for the replies. I wrote the company to ask what washer/dryer model they would recommend for the Shenandoah or what they would install as an option.

The difference in the Shandoah is the location of the closet. In the longer units, the closet is located in the front corner beneath the tv shelf. The angled location gives more room behind the appliance for venting. The Shenandoah locates the closet just forward of the bathroom in the location the longer units have a sink.

It looks like the 2000 model will fit but I will wait now for the Heartland to respond.

Larry

slaytop

I received a reply from Scott at Heartland and he apologized for a late response to my email. He did not recommend a specific model number to fit my coach. He did say that the closet is designed to hold a stackable washer & dryer or a combo unit can be placed on the floor so the upper level can be used for storage. The closet is part of the new bedroom "suite" design and was designed for the stackable Splendide washer and dryer.

I have looked at the Splendide web site and cannot find a stackable model.

I will write about this again when I acually do an installation.

aquiring signal

Dryer vent location? Pictures?

I know this is an old thread, but I've searched the forum and can't seem to find any pictures of dryer vent installations. We picked up a Splendide 2100XC at Camping World today. Does the Heartland factory install the dryer vents through the bedroom closet floor or through the side wall? And if you're done a similar installation, what location did you choose for the vent ?

mountainlovers76

Mississippi Chapter Leaders
We had a Splendide 2100XC installed in our 3600RE and there was plenty of room for the vent to go up the wall a little and then out the doorside wall (wanted to make sure it did not come out in the decal area on the outside) The washer/dryer sits about 4 - 5 inches from the wall and does not protrude into the doorway. Perfect fit. Even room for a 1.6 cubic ft freezer above the washer or a RV dishwasher if you prefer and still be under the shelf at the top. Remove the shelf and you could put the dishwasher and freezer both or even a 3.2 cubic ft freezer. I realize not all the washer closets are the exact same size but there are a lot of options for the space in ours. I would think "most" would be about the same size.