Suspension Upgrades

RugRat

Looking for some opinions. I have decided to update my shocks and also add air bags from Firestone. I want to go with Rancho shocks since they are running the special right now. Guy on phone states the RS9000X and RSX are bascially the same shock design accept one allows for adjusting. I don't see myself constantly changing the settings so was leaning towards the RSX shocks. I have also decided on the Firestone Ride Rite (Model 3330 w/Fifth wheel hitch) for air bags. Appears this one will work best for my application. I have an 04 F250 4x4 Crew Cab Lariat FX4. When pulling my 5er on concrete highways with expansion joints, I get a lot of bounce in the truck and with that the complaints from my wife. I am hoping these changes with help with that mostly. The truck squats some when hooked up but not excessively. Appreciate any opinions.

ct0218

I have the adjustable shocks and I played around with the settings several times to get the ride I wanted. I do adjust them to a stiffer setting when hooking up to the fifth wheel, so that makes it ride better all of the time.

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
RugRat said:
Looking for some opinions. I have decided to update my shocks and also add air bags from Firestone. I want to go with Rancho shocks since they are running the special right now. Guy on phone states the RS9000X and RSX are bascially the same shock design accept one allows for adjusting. I don't see myself constantly changing the settings so was leaning towards the RSX shocks. I have also decided on the Firestone Ride Rite (Model 3330 w/Fifth wheel hitch) for air bags. Appears this one will work best for my application. I have an 04 F250 4x4 Crew Cab Lariat FX4. When pulling my 5er on concrete highways with expansion joints, I get a lot of bounce in the truck and with that the complaints from my wife. I am hoping these changes with help with that mostly. The truck squats some when hooked up but not excessively. Appreciate any opinions.
Had the firestone airbags on my 2001 truck. They do help to level the load, but the truck rode a lot rougher when not towing.

tdharley

I cannot give you any opinion on the shocks although I have had the Firestone system on my past 2 trucks and were very impressed.

I also found that when unhitchred I would leave 5lbs. of air in and got a better ride than the leaf springs were giving me. Sorry Terry IMO

jpmorgan37

I have to agree with tdh. I carried 35 pounds when towing and 5 pounds unloaded in my GMC and it gave a very comfortable ride. If I left the bags inflated without the fifth wheel, it felt like I had solid rubber tires.

timk

Bruce,
I put in the Rancho 9000's with the in cab controller. When your going down the road, and it changes, you can just reach down and adjust them. Its absolutely amazing the difference the shock settings can make. And the best thing is its instant feedback. I did the same thing with the air bags, and thats pretty handy as well. And thats also instant feedback. We did find that the biggest ride improvement was from the airbags. Just getting up and off the overloads is what helps in my opinion. Good luck with yours.
TimK

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
tdharley said:
I cannot give you any opinion on the shocks although I have had the Firestone system on my past 2 trucks and were very impressed.

I also found that when unhitchred I would leave 5lbs. of air in and got a better ride than the leaf springs were giving me. Sorry Terry IMO
Ran 5lbs in mine when unhitched also, but I still think I had a rougher ride.

randes

OK you guys,

I am planning on ordering an air hitch tomorrow. So let me ask you a question.

With an air hitch which has adjustable air pressures, do you also need the adjustable air bags on the truck?????

RugRat

Thanks for the advice. I went ahead and purchased both the air bags and the shocks. Summit Racing had the best price overall and price matched the shocks. Hope to get everything installed this weekend.

tdharley

If you run into any problems with the Firestone air bags, post it and I will give you some advice. I have installed them on my 2 trucks, my brothers and his brother in laws.

ChopperBill

I have Ride Rites with on board compressor and the 9000 Ranchos. Having the TC and FW gives me lots of options. I find that I can haul the BH with the unloaded settings on the shocks and with the recomended setting of 5 lbs empty the bags go up to 356 lbs when I hook up the pin. When I load the SnowRiver the shocks go up to the highest settings and I pump the bags up to 65 lbs. The Dmax hauls the FW better but "pulls" the TC better. Strange as it seems.

fireflipper

EX-Travel Bug
Fireflipper

Rug Rat
I have both the Air Ride hitch and the Air bags on my truck. You can add an incab controler to the Firestone airbags. If I remember mine added about $250 dollars to the cost, but is well worth it. That is for the dual control, so you can add air to each side independly. The single control was about half. I have the 1 ton truck so not much helps with the ride without the fiver, with it the ride smooths out alot. As for the humpties in the road you will still feel them, but for most of the bumps it saves alot of stuff from bouncing around inside the fiver, it kind of lets the trailer float seperate from the truck. If I could add anything it would be the Mor-Ryde system on the trailer. Had it on my previous one and it let the trailer ride even smoother. Keep up informed on your progress.

Glenn

RugRat

Thanks again everyone for the advice. I was able to get the shocks installed yesterday and the air bags installed today. Wow - what a difference. Only a couple more weeks until I get my 5er out of storage and start the camping season. I have a trip planned to Florida in June so am looking forward now to driving down with the new shocks/air bags.