Level recommendation

I am interested in determining the best devise to use to level our 5th wheel ; carpenters level or to mount something on the unit and where. Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks!!

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
When I had to level, the first thing I did was get a couple of the small stick on levels that are sold at WalMart. Then I leveled the rig with a four foot level. I stuck one level to indicate side to side level just above the landing gear switch and stuck another to indicate front to rear level, right at eye level on the side of the bedroom overhang. Worked just fine.

Peace
Dave

TXBobcat

Fulltime
When I had to level, the first thing I did was get a couple of the small stick on levels that are sold at WalMart. Then I leveled the rig with a four foot level. I stuck one level to indicate side to side level just above the landing gear switch and stuck another to indicate front to rear level, right at eye level on the side of the bedroom overhang. Worked just fine.

I did the same thing as Cookie, except I didn't have a 4ft level. A lot of people say put the level on the inside bottom of the Refer, some say on the stove top and some say on the floor inside.

Where you test your level depends on what you want. My thing is I like the doors to stay open when I open them up. So I test outside the toilet room and when I finish leveling my test is the outside door and the toilet room door. The rest of the trailer will be close enough that everything else will work. (they say to keep the refer level and that is correct but it is not real critical.)

Now if you are like some of us that travel fulltime you might want to look into a auto leveling system. I am using Bigfoot and others are using the Levelup system.

Travel Safe
BC

campers2

On my old rig I had a large level that I could see from the cab in the mirror. It was mounted on the hitch receiver. I do not know where to mount it on the Big country yet. Sure hope someone has already figured it out.

SilverRhino

On my old rig I had a large level that I could see from the cab in the mirror. It was mounted on the hitch receiver. I do not know where to mount it on the Big country yet. Sure hope someone has already figured it out.

I have the level mounted on the pin box of our BC. This post Finally Mounted PinBox Level shows my method.

Hope this helps.

jheitman

I believe that the whole purpose for leveling is to get the refrig cooling unit oriented correctly. It also helps the doors stay neutral. The refrig needs to be level to a half degree or about a half a bubble. You dont want to be walking around in the trailer while you are trying to level it. I found a spot on the kitchen floor, near the door that was about the same angle, level, as the refrig, and then I used a level on the floor to level the trailer. Once the trailer is level you can attach your levels on the outside, set to perfect level.

I attached some small levels initially, but I really like this unit:

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-jacks/trailer-levels.htm

made by hoppy, or Hopkins

It measures front to back into its normal position, and side to side when you swing it out. It also has an adjustable level which allows you to record the front to back elevation of the trailer just before you unhitch, so that you can easily reset the height for rehitching.

Hope this helps some.

gwalter

Retired Colorado Chapter Leaders
The large pin box level is great when backing into a camp site. I can read it from the cab and it gives me a good idea if I have to add boards on either side to level.

Thanks to all for the input and recommendations. Spring is almost here in Ohio and I am trying to get prepared for our first trip with the Greystone 29MK. The ideas have given me somegood ideas from those who have been down the trail. Thanks!

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
I just picked up our new LM and it has the auto level on it. But when it says level my hand level is never level. Is this normal. I have checked in several areas with the same results.

jbeletti

Michael,

Try a 2 or 4 foot level. If off, manually level and re-zero the leveling system to your own level position.

Jim

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
2psnapod, You can change the level set point. If you feel your coach is off level after the system says it is, then level it to your liking and do the zero setting programing on the keypad for the system. If you don't have the manual it can be found right HERE.
Seems some people have a different idea of what they like for level. Some want their stoves level so their eggs are in the center of the pan and some like the coffee pot to be level on the counter top, as well as others like their doors to stay where they put them when they open them.

Peace
Dave

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
Thanks guys, I will definitely be pulling my levels out. I used a torpedo level in all the normal area like Cookie said and they all seem pretty close. I bet it needs calibrated. Thanks for the guide. Michael