Power electrical cord reel

gpshemi

Was watching the Landmark video on Heartland's site. Anyone install one of these reels at a great price?

Anyone have any good way of wrestling that alligator of a cord without one? I put mine in a tote in the basement and I feel like I went one round with Ali afterwords. They don't coil very well.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
The 50 amp cord is hard to deal with in the cold. It is very flexable in warm air. I just coil mine up and lay it in the back of the pickup when traveling. It has worked so far. I have know people who have retrofitted the power reel to their rigs. Don't know the current price but you can check with customer service about it. I know RV Capital RV Repair in Elkhart has done some. If you are going to the national rally you could probably set it up to get it done with RV Capital while you are there.

Pizzaguy

We ordered that option on our 2011 BH and I absolutely love it. I will not have another unit without the power cord reel.We are weekend campers and set up and take down every weekend and this sure makes the job easier.

rustyshakelford

duane (porthole) installed the reel on his 3010. from the pics, it turned out awesome! i cant remember the page number but under the cyclone modifications forum, there is a thread called "and so it begins" IIRC. Check thru there, he has a write up with pics!

Wish i couldve ordered it from the factory with that and a level up

brett

larryanddonnakeever

Past Oklahoma Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Our 2011 BH 3585RL came with a power reel. We have only used it a couple of times. I am so glad I have it. Just pull the cord out straight from the side hold the cord in one hand and reel it in GREAT... Would not have anything else..

Larry and Donna Keever
Oklahoma City
2010 Ford F-350 Lariet FX4 Dually Diesel 6.4 Power Stroke

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
We got it stock on our BH also. The DW loves it, because that was always her job on all our SOB's.(Rolling the cord.) She doesn't let me have any fun with it.
I like it because it is a deterrent to getting the cord unplugged at the rig and removed by thieves.
The cord can not be unplugged from the trailer, it has to be cut.

porthole

Retired
#1 mod I did on the trailer. Would never have another trailer without this.

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/11365-And-so-it-begins?p=134988&viewfull=1#post134988

Enclosure
The access door is on the bottom.

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/11365-And-so-it-begins?p=143897&viewfull=1#post143897

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I still wrestle the cord. It's the last thing I store and it gets coiled in the ODS storage area in about a 2 foot diameter coil. Not a terrible task unless our site was muddy and I have to clean it before storing it. It certainly is worse when it's cold. I'm guessing the power reels use a more flexible cord?

porthole

Retired
Ray - night and day.
If you could get that cord and just put a trailer side end on it the reel would not be that big a deal.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I also hand roll the cord and lay it on the basement floor at the ODS door. I can set my filter box on top of it. Granted, it's not light, but when it comes time that I can't handle it, it will be time to get rid of the RV. The add-on cord reel, albeit expensive, looks nice, but to retrofit it into my rig would block access to the basement from the ODS, it appears. For $600, I can buy a lot of Wheaties.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I use an oblong laundry basket for my electrical cord. It's the last thing I put into the trailer on my way out and has been working well for a couple of years. A power cord would be nice but not a necessity right now.

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
If you were a Club Member you could call Heartland Customer service and order it through them and get your 10% off. Worth a shot.