Billowing rubber roof

creeper

We've all seen those fifth wheels going down the road with the rubber roof ballooning up in the front. Have you ever wondered if that was you?

I started to suspect I was one of those. So, I went off to get new michelin XPS sneakers for the camper and stuck a camera up on the roof.

Results here
http://creeperscobra.com/drop/billowing.mp4

Higher res.
http://vimeo.com/21951919

Anyone ever done a repair like this? Anyone know the roof warranty on a 2009? I'm sure the dealer will want to charge me a fortune to do it.

1 month to cross country trip, better get moving.

Last edited:

GOTTOYS

Couldn't see the video..anyway the roof warranty will usually cover the rubber fabric only, not the installation. Then it's probably prorated besides. Might as well throw that one out the window. If your roof fabric isn't damaged, it shouldn't be that hard to fix. Remove the moldings around the edges along with as much caulking as you can get off. Peel the roof back and apply a fresh layer of rubber roof glue with a roller. smooth the rubber fabric back down over it and go over the top with a roller to work it into the glue. You can stretch it slightly and staple it in place along the ares that are covered with moldings. Let it dry overnight and reinstall all the moldings and caulk the seams. Never use any silicon caulking it will not stick. There are several websites that offer adhesives and caulking. I purchased glue for a project I did from a Big Box home improvement store. They use the same stuff to install commercial rubber roofs. Good Luck...Don

creeper

GOTTOYS, you were correct. Contacted Heartland- so sorry you're on your own. Decor - so sorry you're on your own we don't cover application, call Heartland. Next up Progressive Comprehensive Insurance.

Obviously the application was done incorrectly or the glue used was a cheap version. No reason a 2009 should be losing it's roof.

ihsolutions

Wow. I saw this first on RV.net and wondered what kind of rig you had. I figured it was something old. Scary that this can happen to a 2009 Big Horn!

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Creeper! Where have you been?
I'm curious, Have you tried to find where the air is getting in under the membrane. Sad situation for sure. I'm guessing this has been developing for quite a while and has gotten worse over time. Does it lay pretty flat when parked? Thanks for your post and I hope repairs are relatively easy. GOTTOYS seemed to make it sound easy enough.

creeper

Creeper! Where have you been?
I'm curious, Have you tried to find where the air is getting in under the membrane. Sad situation for sure. I'm guessing this has been developing for quite a while and has gotten worse over time. Does it lay pretty flat when parked? Thanks for your post and I hope repairs are relatively easy. GOTTOYS seemed to make it sound easy enough.

I've been here, mostly lurk. Not air getting under, membrane getting sucked up. It lays nearly all flat when parked. Good thing i caught it, the dealer showed me pics of the last one that let go, it ripped out the vents on the roof.

If the insurance company balks at the fix then I'll have to do it and then the only part of the RV i haven't disassembled and repaired will be the walls. :(

creeper

Progressive stepped up to the plate and paid for the repair. As they stated, "in face of an manufactures defect". I spoke to the repair guy on the cause and he stated there was nearly no glue on the roof. He said there was glue around the edges and the vents and that was about it. Now the whole front section is completely glued. This is something Heartland should address as this is not the first Bighorn I've seen do this. I posted here about another bighorn users having the problem back in 2009 //heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/12387-Bighorn-owners-attention..?p=91288&highlight=#post91288 little did I know I was going to join that club.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
It's good to hear it's been taken care of. Interesting that there was no adhesive in the center area. Kind of makes you wonder how long it's been doing that. I think nest time out, I'll have Lin drive the rig & I'll get in the car and observe. Thanks for the update. Take Care Creeper.

dewwood

Sorry to hear about your roof issues. Glad to hear your insurance stepped up. I have been watching this thread with interest as I have seen the same thing on units going down the highway.

This is just a thought but I wonder if they do not glue the entire surface so there can be expansion and contraction of the roof membrane. If the edges were good without any voids to allow air to enter it would probably be ok but in your case there was apparently a void somewhere allowing the air to enter under the membrane. Anyway I am glad to hear you have been able to get it fixed.

creeper

Thanks.... The reason I got from the dealer and the adjuster who is a certified RV tech was they cut back on glue to save money. He told me it was common shortcut to only glue around the openings and he was VERY familiar with the problem.

The adjuster went to bat for me because the RV was "very well maintained" as he said. Plus, we hung out for a hour in the RV chatting. :)

The repair guy said after he got the edge glue let go the entire section just rolled back. FYI, gluing only the edges and not the entire roof is not how Dacor says to do it.

Last edited: