Brand New Elkridge - Roof leaking

garydb

Bought a brand new 2011 ElkRidge. and during the recent rains discovered the roof was leaking at the seam where the roof and the front cover meet. Dripping into the cabnitery and the mattress on the front bedroom. Not happy.

anyone siggest on how easy that will be to repair. Looks like it has had extra sealant on the seam sometime in the past.

Called customer service and they were kinda ho hum about it

2010augusta

I'd be talking to your dealer about some warranty work, otherwise re-sealing the seam is the best fix.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
I agree with Alan. Get the rig to your dealer ASAP. OR, it should be an easy fix with DICOR seam sealer. You can do it yourself in just a few minutes. Most RV dealers and repair shops carry the stuff or you can get it from Camper's World or Tweetys.com

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Gary, not to be picky, but you posted this same question a week ago. You say you called HL, but did you take it your selling dealer and have them fix it?? Remember HL is not going to send someone to your home to fix it. Same as a new automobile...you have to take it to the dealer to get it fixed.

Hi Gary,

We have an 08 Sundance model that is having the same problem. We purchased the extended warranty but don't know if it is covered under that or not but yours should be covered. This is our first and will be our last Heartland product, we've had nothing but problems since we purchased it new. Good luck!

Bob&Patty

Checking your chalking on your roof is a maintenance issue. You have an...at least 3 year old trailer and your mad because the chalking needs to be resealed?? All the chalking needs to be inspected at least 2 times a year. This is not a house that doesn't move. Your Sundance flexes, bounces, and twist's going down the road and chalking is not a forever sealant.

I doubt if your extented warranty will pay for a reseal. As I stated, it's a maintenance issue. Good luck with a SOB of your choice not having the same issue 3-4 years down the road.

Cimriver

Bob&Patty,

You read parttimerver post differently than I did. He/She said that they would own another Heartland product again because of "all of the problems" he/she has had, not because he/she has a leaky roof.

I also have had many problems with our Elkridge. After 14 months of owning it I also am going with a SOB. I doubt if I buy another Heartland again.

Bob&Patty

Gordon, sorry but I did not read it wrong. If an owner has problems with a new coach....get it fixed while its in warranty. We have had issues with our BH also. But I understand the beast and just deal with it. You have to do a yearly maintance on anything. Including your home, cars, trucks. So why is a trailer different? They are nothing but a rolling earthquake and you have to fix things as they happen. Lets put it this way, how many problem did you have with your last new home and I bet cost more than your Elkridge and you don't pull it down the road. I also bet you are repairing thing on your home all the time. Nothing lasts forever....nothing unless you are inspecting and repairing all the time. You are welcome to buy an SOB and good luck in your search. Report back to us and let us know how trouble free it is.

Cimriver

Bob&Patty,

Obviously you have a great deal of experience with RV's. So do I. This is our fifth RV. I like you understand that these things require regular maintenance as do most things. I think if you saw my rig you would agree it is well maintained. My reason for going to another brand are consistent issues with shoddy workmanship and poor design.

We purchased our RV to enjoy ourselves during our retirement years. I don't need to be worrying about what is going to break next as I'm driving down the highway. Unfortunately I have developed a lack of confidence in our Elkridge. There are many things I like about the fifth wheel, but there are also things I am uncomfortable with.

We have owned several other brands of RV's and I understand that all or most will have their issues. I also understand that part of RV ownership requires that often you must just deal with things that go wrong and then go on to enjoy your rig. When you get to the point that you are just not enjoying it, it is probably time to move on.

I doubt if I do report back to you on our new rig. You see it is not my purpose to slam Heartland. I know that there are very many happy Heartland owners and of course I wish them well. Several of them I have become quite close with since joining in the conversation on this forum. I especially wish them many years of enjoyment with their Heartlands.

For me it is time to move on. I hope you understand that.

Bob&Patty

Gordon, you stated your position well. Sorry that you had so many problems. Must have been a monday or friday built coach. Good luck to you with your new coach. Stay with us on the forum and let us all how you are doing. Your welcome to stay on the forum.

ParkIt

Gordon & Patti,
I understand having to deal with too many things going/gone wrong, its why you bought a unit to get away from the home where that stuff is constant.
Manufactures have their ups and downs which is no fun to buyers - staying on top of that is not an easy task. If Forest River still built custom MH's then I would have purchased one again, they couldn't afford to do it any longer and only make TT's which aren't near as good as the HL. Like computers I research what components are used and where they come from. Paying top dollar for a computer doesn't ensure you'll get one that won't have problems because they switched the internal components to another brand which may be made with cheap materials, same can be said for on-road rigs.

Good luck and keep having fun out there no matter what you are traveling in :)

Cimriver

Thank you for your kind comments. One of the things I will miss is the great folks on this forum.

Take Care!