Is an F-450 a good idea?

Thomas34461

Hello everyone. I'm new here and I do have some questions to ask before I make a purchase of a new truck. Right now I'm a care giver to my 88 year old Mother 24 x 7 and I mostly stay here all the time. She is under Hospice care. I was thinking that when she does cross over that it will be my time to get away. So I was thinking of getting a Ford F-450 Lariat Fx4 diesel engine dually truck with a slide in camper like Arctic Fox. I've been told by my Insurance that they do not insure any thing over a f-250. And now I'm seeing on this site other companies not insuring as well has me wondering if I'm doing the right thing! My agent told me why would I get such a big truck with the current gas prices today! That has me thinking too, plus the fact that there is no one who sells slide in campers here in Florida. I was really excited about getting my Ford F-450 and the Arctic Fox, but now I feel that I need to maybe retink this. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Tom

6.7powerstroke

Re: F450 Insurance

Find a different agent. Try State Farm, I have a F350 and it is insured just as my BMW sedan I traded in for it. There have been some posts on other sites about certain insurance companies trying this, but getting it insured as a regular vehicle shouldn't be an issue.

2010augusta

We love our F-450, but insurance can be a bit tricky and may take some shopping but it can be done.

A quick question is are you thinking about a F-450 with a pick-up bed or a utility box?

I have seen quite a few neat setups with utility boxes and slide in campers that way you can get a lot of extra storage
something about like this:
845034748_PFG9G-L.jpg

Thomas34461

Re: F450 Insurance and fuel consuption

We love our F-450, but insurance can be a bit tricky and may take some shopping but it can be done.

A quick question is are you thinking about a F-450 with a pick-up bed or a utility box?

I have seen quite a few neat setups with utility boxes and slide in campers that way you can get a lot of extra storage
something about like this:

Hello Augusta,
Are you real happy with your F-450? how is it with Fuel? When I tell people that I'm planning on getting a Ford F-450 they say what about the high price for gas and that diesel fuel is even more expessive, why?? I tell them that the F-450 is the right size to carry the Arctic Cat Slide in Camper. To me this is what I'm looking for. I had a truck and miss it. However listening to people has put a lot of doubt in my mind. Does it burn more fuel because it's a dually? Hoping that you and others can lead me into the right direction.

Also I see that you come from WY, I use to live in Douglas WY.
Thanks,
Tom :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador

We had our C4500 covered thru GMAC, until 3 weeks ago...no problem at all. The rated as a "semi", but the premiums were only about $700 per year in SD...give them a call!! Nothing "commercial" involved...

P.S. Just checked my policy...my mistake! It's the trailer that was $700 a year...the C4500 was just over $400 per year!!! When we switched to the Chevy 3500 it dropped to under $300 per year.

Last edited:

2010augusta

Tom,

The fuel mileage is okay, I rarely drive the truck without the trailer and our Augusta weight in at about 16,500# and we average just over 9 mpg. The newer truck are getting better mileage.

The big factor in the mileage will be to rear-end gear. a 4:30 gear will be better than a 4:88.

We just moved to WY 3 week ago.

TXBobcat

Fulltime

I use to own a 1966 F250 and hauled a Slide in Campter also. I don't want to discourage you about the slide in but it is a lot better to pull a small 5th wheel. A 450 will haul just about any trailer you want or the Slide in Cabover. You can drop the 5th wheel off and drive around but with the Slide in Cabover, it goes where ever you go.

You can call Progressive insurance or you can use a broker like Polliseek (they use to be AON).

BC

Thomas34461

Re: F450 Insurance plus 5th wheel

I use to own a 1966 F250 and hauled a Slide in Campter also. I don't want to discourage you about the slide in but it is a lot better to pull a small 5th wheel. A 450 will haul just about any trailer you want or the Slide in Cabover. You can drop the 5th wheel off and drive around but with the Slide in Cabover, it goes where ever you go.

You can call Progressive insurance or you can use a broker like Polliseek (they use to be AON).

BC
You have a good point there. Yes years ago I once had a slide in Camper for my Chevy truck. I loved the idea of going where I wanted and camping where ever I ended. May go the route you speak of with getting a 5th wheel since it seems that all the RV dealers here in Florida don't sell slide in campers anymore. Like the idea of the toy trailers but really need to educate myself on them more.Until then before I get the trailer I need to find out more on local insurance dealers for a F-450. Thanks. Tom

Thomas34461

Re: F450 Insurance and 5th wheel & WY

Thanks 2010Augusta,
Well I think I will stay with my plans on getting the 2011 F-450 diesel. Ford claims that the 2011 is better with fuel economy.

I’m pretty much re thinking my plans for the Slide in for a 5th wheel.

I hope that you like Wyoming, I miss it. Think I told you that I lived in Douglas. That’s a real friendly town. From your image it looks like maybe the Big Horn Mountains? Maybe around Sheridan or Johnson county? You will have to go to the Medicine Bow Mountains. Its real pretty there. Thanks for your help.
Tom

mmomega

AnyTimer

I believe you'd be fine with a 350 DRW. Some of the Arctic Fox campers I looked at were about 3400 lbs with a wet bath, you could put that into a 350 SRW stability would be better would a DRW but just saying a 450 isn't necessary. You get 3.73's in the 350DRW which should yield 'slightly' better fuel mileage than the 450's 4.30 gears.

TXBobcat

Fulltime

Seeing how you are from Wyo.. I was raised in Midwest Wyo. just north east of Casper. Natrona County.

Graduated from Midwest HS in 1962

BC

floridarandy

A slightly different angle. In our search for a truck to pull our 5ver we scoured Auto Trader and Ebay. It was NOT UNCOMMON to find Ford Diesels with less than 50,000 miles being sold with or without 5th wheels by folks who, in most cases, had simply gotten too old to continue traveling. An 2007 F550 Lariat diesel recently sold by a dealer here in town had less than 30,000 miles and sold for $35,000. Custom hauler box, upgraded leather seats and showroom new condition.

A new 2011 F450 could easily top $55,000 and once you get the goodies you want maybe even $70,000. So you save, say, $20,000 buying a truck thats 2 or 3 years old....at $5/gallon and 10miles/gallon you can drive 40,000 miles before you get to the same investment you get driving the 2011 off the lot. You can buy A LOT OF GAS with the savings you get from simply buying a truck thats a few years old and has been well maintained. I'm told well-maintained diesels should go 200,000 with only routine maintenance. Buy an extended warranty and you have piece of mind and a better deal than buying new.

Yes, a "new car" is certainly part of our culture but if you take your time and search you can be way ahead financially in a time in our country when conserving your financial resources, while still playing, will be a fact of life and not a temporary bump in the road.

My 2 cents.

Randy in Florida

Lou_and_Bette

Tom, I recently bought my F-450 and here are a couple of issues I ran into. First, my local credit union would not finance because they rate this truck as a commercial vehicle. Went to USAA next because I have some insurance and a credit card through them. They gave me the money but when we started through the process of getting the truck added to my policy and everything was proceeding well until they asked for the VIN#, I was tolod they would not insure it...when I questioned why, I was told the truck was "too heavy." I called GEICO and again the process was going well, nice dealing with the rep by the way, when they asked for the VIN# I got the feelling that there was some issue but after some back and forth and after being put on hold, the nice lady came back on the line and asked "does this truck weigh 23,800 ponds?" I told her no, that is the towing capacity of the truck, and luckily the selling agent had listed the specs in his on line ad and I could tell her the curb weight was 7.800 pounds. They then insured my truck. I really don't know if I had called USAA back and asked about the weight if that would have changed things or not but at that point I was just glad to have everything in order so I could finalize my purchase. By the way, USAA would have insured a F-350 and this is essentially the same truck size with beefed up suspension, stronger brakes, stronger tranny and rear end. Go figure. Oh, by the way, I love my F-450 and it pulls my 405RW without problems and yes, I would like to get a little better diesel MPG but eveerything is a trade off. Good luck in your hunt and getting the RV that is right for you

Thomas34461

Seeing how you are from Wyo.. I was raised in Midwest Wyo. just north east of Casper. Natrona County.

Graduated from Midwest HS in 1962

BC

I know the area well around Casper and Natrona County. When I lived in Douglas when we wanted to go and do some shopping we went to Casper. Like Wal-Mart and Sam’s Club. Plus they had other stores there that you couldn't find in Douglas. I remember going to Casper Mountain where they were having the "Bear Trap" Festival. That was kinda like going to the Big City! ;) Nice to meet you TXBobcat!

Thomas34461

A slightly different angle. In our search for a truck to pull our 5ver we scoured Auto Trader and Ebay. It was NOT UNCOMMON to find Ford Diesels with less than 50,000 miles being sold with or without 5th wheels by folks who, in most cases, had simply gotten too old to continue traveling. An 2007 F550 Lariat diesel recently sold by a dealer here in town had less than 30,000 miles and sold for $35,000. Custom hauler box, upgraded leather seats and showroom new condition.

A new 2011 F450 could easily top $55,000 and once you get the goodies you want maybe even $70,000. So you save, say, $20,000 buying a truck thats 2 or 3 years old....at $5/gallon and 10miles/gallon you can drive 40,000 miles before you get to the same investment you get driving the 2011 off the lot. You can buy A LOT OF GAS with the savings you get from simply buying a truck thats a few years old and has been well maintained. I'm told well-maintained diesels should go 200,000 with only routine maintenance. Buy an extended warranty and you have piece of mind and a better deal than buying new.

Yes, a "new car" is certainly part of our culture but if you take your time and search you can be way ahead financially in a time in our country when conserving your financial resources, while still playing, will be a fact of life and not a temporary bump in the road.

My 2 cents.

Randy in Florida
Thanks Randy for your 2 cents! Makes good sence too. I would be open for that if I could find one with options I'm looking for. One of the things is that I'm getting a discount because my brother works for Ford. However like you say if I could find one that had all I wanted I would have more for other things, like a 5th wheel. Thanks again. Where in Florida are you located? I'm now living in Inverness Florida. But planning to go back to the Rocky Mountains. :D

Thomas34461

Tom, I recently bought my F-450 and here are a couple of issues I ran into. First, my local credit union would not finance because they rate this truck as a commercial vehicle. Went to USAA next because I have some insurance and a credit card through them. They gave me the money but when we started through the process of getting the truck added to my policy and everything was proceeding well until they asked for the VIN#, I was tolod they would not insure it...when I questioned why, I was told the truck was "too heavy." I called GEICO and again the process was going well, nice dealing with the rep by the way, when they asked for the VIN# I got the feelling that there was some issue but after some back and forth and after being put on hold, the nice lady came back on the line and asked "does this truck weigh 23,800 ponds?" I told her no, that is the towing capacity of the truck, and luckily the selling agent had listed the specs in his on line ad and I could tell her the curb weight was 7.800 pounds. They then insured my truck. I really don't know if I had called USAA back and asked about the weight if that would have changed things or not but at that point I was just glad to have everything in order so I could finalize my purchase. By the way, USAA would have insured a F-350 and this is essentially the same truck size with beefed up suspension, stronger brakes, stronger tranny and rear end. Go figure. Oh, by the way, I love my F-450 and it pulls my 405RW without problems and yes, I would like to get a little better diesel MPG but eveerything is a trade off. Good luck in your hunt and getting the RV that is right for you

Thanks Lou and Bette for your advice. I will have to have your comment printed out when I do go Insurance hunting so I have all the facts in hand! Question do you have to be a Vet to get a loan from the USAA Credit Union or do get the Insurance? Would be just one more avenue for me to go when I start my hunting for a good rate and low insurance rate. I was thinking of getting the 1140 Arctic Fox Slide in camper. They state that I would need to get a F-450. It was also suggested that I think about getting a 5th Wheel. With the Slide in I still could tow a trailer, however if I got a 5th wheel Travel Trailer Toyhauler that would help out with taking anything extra! Only thing is that the 5th wheel Travel Trailer with or without the Toyhauler seem to be so large. I mean I don't want something that is too small but wondering if it would be just too much too???

Ah decisions, decisions, decisions! Any advice? Thanks Tom :eek:

6.7powerstroke

Keep in mind, a 2011 will be the 6.7 PSD, not the 6.0. Big difference in the trucks that more than justifies the incremental spend. More power, exhaust brake, different interior, quieter, very long list. Used is always cheaper, but keep in mind that a 6.0 or a 6.4 is not a 6.7.

floridarandy

Thanks Randy for your 2 cents! Makes good sence too. I would be open for that if I could find one with options I'm looking for. One of the things is that I'm getting a discount because my brother works for Ford. However like you say if I could find one that had all I wanted I would have more for other things, like a 5th wheel. Thanks again. Where in Florida are you located? I'm now living in Inverness Florida. But planning to go back to the Rocky Mountains. :D

Thomas - we're in Sarasota on the "left coast". I found my truck on Autotrader.com. Its a free site and you can search for both new and used and compare deals. To find just the truck you want you can profile the vehicle down to color and options and the site will automatically email you with matches. Florida is a particularly good market to search:

1. Many older users who buy new and either find its not their cup of tea or simply have a health issue that prevents them from continuing;
2. No salt on the roads to much less likelihood of rust
3. Folks moving here all the time and trading

With all due respect to Dave's 6.7, you can run the Ford Diesel truck boards and you'll find folks going back to the old 7.3 diesel who've run em for hundreds of thousands of miles without trouble. You can also find those with new 2011's who aren't happy with "something". The savings over new from a nearly new diesel is BIG MONEY...10's of thousands. If it were hundreds or even a couple of grand that might be a different story.

Also remember the powertrain warranty on Ford's diesels is 100,000 miles so you have most "big" items covered by the factory. For a couple of grand you can buy a bumper to bumper add-on warranty to cover everything else if you want to.

If a 2011 is a "must" you only have to wait till the fall to find one that will be a year old :).

Trust me...and I'm new so the old-timers will probably chime in...whatever you save on your truck you WILL spend on the stuff you really need on your camper. For the savings you could easily get, say, a generator system, auto leveling system, air ride system for truck and camper, and still have money left to spend on $5 gas! If money's no object...and you have enough to last till the old folks home...

Oh, and by the way....if you plan to finance, I got a GREAT deal from Pentegon Federal Credit Union. Used vehicle out to 60 months @ 2.49% and they'll finance 100% up to $70k. Also got a great deal on the extended warranty in the deal.

Randy

6.7powerstroke

I am a member over there too and have had 2 7.3Ls, but with over 200K on the clock still running today. The difference in the new and old trucks is night and day. I loved my 7.3s, but don't miss them for a second. The 2011 is a much nicer, much safer, much better truck, particularly over the 07 or older SuperSuties. The days of 500K being a sure thing like the 7.3 or 5.9 Cummins are over, the new motors are far more complex. For Ford specifically, I avoided the 6.0 and the 6.4, I believe the 6.7 is a much better powerplant with better long term durability. Time will tell I guess.

HappyKayakers

Re: F450 Insurance plus 5th wheel

You have a good point there. Yes years ago I once had a slide in Camper for my Chevy truck. I loved the idea of going where I wanted and camping where ever I ended. May go the route you speak of with getting a 5th wheel since it seems that all the RV dealers here in Florida don't sell slide in campers anymore. Like the idea of the toy trailers but really need to educate myself on them more.Until then before I get the trailer I need to find out more on local insurance dealers for a F-450. Thanks. Tom

Hey Tom,
Have you been to an RV show recently? You might want to consider that before buying the truck. Just seems like you were willing to accept the space of a truck camper but now you're thinking of a 5th wheel. Even getting a 30ft 5er will greatly increase your living space AND allow you to get a 2500/3500 SRW to tow it with. Less upfront cost, better mileage. Just a thought.

Last edited: