hitch

I was wondering if any body out there has the trail air hitch(c.s.a.)and any info you could tell me? I,m not sure If it,s worth the money? all help would be appreciated. Thanks Jim Thomas (newbie)

BluegrassMan

Hi Jim:
I have the Trail Air pin box on my trailer. I find that it cuts WAY back on the chunking that we 5vers deal with. It doesn't eliminate it but it sure helps. I have a friend that asked me about mine, he bought one and put on his Cameo 5ver, he's happy too!

randes

James,
I don't believe Trail-Air makes a hitch. They do make a Pin Box as attested to by BluegrassMan and I have heard they are very good. But air pin boxes and air hitches are two different animals.

I have been researching Air Hitches. The two main companies I have found are the TS3 by Hensley and the Air Safe Hitches. Both are loved by their owners from the e-mails I have received.

Air Hitches are more expensive, currently around $2500, but they are not that much more if you have to buy a regular hitch and then buy the air pin box to go with it. Most of the people that have responded to my e-mails on rv.net forum have bought the 25K lb hitch instead of the 20K hitch. If you decide later to get a larger trailer you don't have to buy another pin box for the new trailer - thus saving you a lot of additional money.

The other opinion of air hitch owners is that an air hitch is the smoothest ride available since the whole pin floats on air. One e-mail I received said, "I can look in my rearview mirror and see the trailer moving on the hitch, but I can't feel it."

Go to rv.net and do a search on "Air Hitches". You will get a lot of posts to read.

I will probably order my air hitch tomorrow to go with my new Bighorn on order and my F-350 on order.

Good luck !

5th Airborne Pin Box

I Just Installed A Air Pin Box And The Difference In Ride Quality Is Worth The Price. I Have A B&W Companion Hitch In The Truck. It Was A Little Bit Of A Pain To Install The Pin Box, But I Got It In And Drove 500 Miles, Saturday. On The Concrete Roads The Pin Box Deffinetly Smoothed Out The Ride.

Mark

DennisZ

Mark
Did the BH seem to ride OK with the slight elevation you had?? Glad to hear you liked the new hitch.

Dennis

madigand

Just a thought. I talked to Butch re trail air air ride pin hitch. I wanted a Levelmaster level on pin so I could see it from the truck when backing in. Butch said he could not put it on a trail air but could install it on 5th wheel Airborne. Basically these are both air-pillow and shock pin mounts with the Airborne being completely enclosed. Just a thought

jbeletti

I've seen written either on this forum or on rv.net about an owner who contacted Trailair and got an ok to drill into the hitch to mount the level. I have seen many myself as well.

My lazy bones have only gotten me to the half-way point of doing this after 2 years.

Jim

BluegrassMan

Jim:
I never checked with anyone about drilling the pin box for the level. When we did the PDI, I told the dealer, by the way put a level on that flat spot "there". That's just me!

davebennington

Hi jim, Bluegrassman,

I checked with the folks at Trailair(the 800 number on the side of the hitch) explained what I want to do the tech that I spoke with said there was not a problem drilling holes in the side.(see my post about adding a bike rack this forum).
Dave

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
We have the Trial-Air pin box and well pleased so far, it's kind of cool watching out the rear view mirror and that air bag just a bouncing in an out knowing all that is not transferred to the TV. I know a lot of people recommend if your going with the air hitch in the TV , to go with the MOR-RYDE pin box. If you look at how there made it makes a lot of sense. Like everything else in in RVing , there is more than one thing you can spend that hard earned cash on. ;) Ken

Forrest Fetherolf

I have attached pics of trailair and level master installed. Note........ do not install level master to close to nose cone, frame flexing could cause level master to damage nose cone.

Attachments

• TrailAir and Levelmaster001.JPG
    TrailAir and Levelmaster001.JPG
    160.1 KB · Views: 172
  • TrailAir and Levelmaster002.JPG
    TrailAir and Levelmaster002.JPG
    162.1 KB · Views: 166