Measuring axle spacing

trvlrerik

I have read on several forums about measuring the spacing of the axels to determine allignment of the axles. I am wondering if this is a valid method unless the axles are unloaded from all weight so that weight and suspension geometry are taken out of the equasion.

I have measured my axles several times and have never come up with the same number, it seems to vary up to 3/8". My tires have under 3k on them so I do not know if there is an issue from wear marks. All of my suspension components are operating correctly, and show no uneven or unusual wear.

I just do this during maintanance checks to see if anything is out of whack. Is there a correct/exact way to measure for allignment?

hoefler

You should measure from the dimples or holes from the grease Zerk's on the end of the spindles. It doesn't matter whether the suspension is loaded or not. The distance on both sides should be identical. If not, the axles will fight each other and eventually show in tire wear. I use a trammel ( sometimes called a beam compass ) to measure one side and transfer to the other side to see if they match. Much more accurate.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Try measuring after pulling the trailer in a straight line for several feet. Any turning or maneuvering will cause the axles to be a bit out of whack. At Mor-Ryde, all four axles were off the ground when aligning them after the IS install.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Another tried and true method, if have the room and parked on concrete. Get the trailer straight...put water on the concrete and pull the trailer through it. Look at the tire marks on the dry concrete left by the tires. You will see how the tires are tracking.