Where can I get my 5ver inspected in Texas?

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
My Texas Trailer inspection sticker expired in March. Previously, I had my NT inspected at the Dealer while getting some warranty work done. Since I'm out of warranty, I'm not keen on driving to the RV Dealer to beg them to do it in a reasonable amount of time.

Can I get a trailer inspection at the local repair shop that has handled some of our trailer issues (brake adjustment, tire balancing, that sort of thing)? I do know they do auto inspections there.

Or should I trudge 20 miles to the RV dealer and leave it for 10+ business days? LOL!

Terry H

Past Texas North Chapter Leader/Moderator
Staff member
Go to this web site and you search by city or zip. It will tell you what inspection stations are able to inspect trailers.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Thanks!!! I searched the world wide web for an hour and could not find that!!!

pegmikef

Yeah and it is best to search using the city name if you have more than one zip code in your city (we have four or five) here in San Angelo.

Lance & Jo

I get mine done at the same place that does the truck, it's no big deal and only takes about half the time it does for the truck. Suggest you just give the fjolks who do your car a call.

ultrafarmer

Do you have to get a Texas Trailer inspection every year. As far a I know I never have to get one in Iowa.

sgtbigb

Hate to admit it, but I have had an RV for 10 years and has never had the inspection:=<

pegmikef

Yeah, the law in Texas is only a few years old. Before, one only had to get an inspection if they were registering an out of state trailer (or in my case I bought one from a guy here that had Oklahoma plates). Now the law is that all trailers (not just RVs) with a gross weight of 4800 or more pounds have to be inspected annually. I get mine inspected at a place that deals primarily in utility, cargo, and livestock trailers. They told me that the only time they have seen it come into play is in conjunction with some other type of violation or an accident. A lot of the TXDOT registered trailers are routinely stopped for weighing and cargo inspection. My daughter's boyfriend sells and hauls oil field chemicals and he gets stopped periodically.

Wolfpackers

Please don't let the NC government hear ya'll are doing that in TX....not required here. Other than checking the brakes, breakaway cable, running lights and tire tread remaining, do they check anything else ? I just guessed at the things they might likely check...did I do OK?

Brent

pegmikef

Basically, he checked the lights and inspected the hookup. I don't know if he did anything other than make sure the breakaway cable was hooked up. He did however, drive the rig to test the brakes and said he would take it up to 20 mph and it had to stop within a fixed distance to pass (I thought he said 40 feet or yards, but I'm not sure). A large part of this is Texas' program of "we're not going to raise your taxes, but we'll come up with other fees on anything we can think of to raise revenue."