RV Jacks

Deedee

I am living in my fifth wheel full time, should I either be blocking the unit up, or using one of those tripod RV Jacks? I am really not sure about this. All I have right now are the jacks the unit comes with and they are sitting on blocks of wood. But when I walk into the bedroom it does not feel real sturdy.

Any suggestions or tips would be most welcomed. :)
Thanks
D

mikeandconnie

D
I use screw jacks under my frame when sitting, they work well in keeping my 39 foot landmark sturdy, they make a big differance. I like them because they are dual purpose and easy to install. They support well and great for the extra 1/2 inch you always need when leveling, also I can change my tires with them without having to carry a bottle jack.. Here is the link to Northern,, They have many sizes and a cheeper brand, but this is the ones I use. I would use 4 jacks if I was full timing, traveling I only carry 2 to keep the weight down. http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200318901_200318901
I always use a tripod under the pin... it make a big difference in the bed room.
Mike

jnbhobe

I have Level-up now, but with the standard jacks I used Roto-choks and JT strong arms and that took all the movement out of the camper.

caissiel

I have bought 2 scissor jacks that have 7500 Lbs capacity and bolted them at the rear of the wheels. Since I was parked here for 4 months I tought it would also relieve the pressure of the springs. Well I raised them yesterday because I am getting ready to travel again and to my surprise one of the tires had dropped in air and it protected all the pressure that would have been on the rear stabilizers. To me its a no brainer that its great stabilization for the wheel area and I now feel the difference this morning.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Hi D, The tripod may help a bit with reducing movement but it's not really necessary. I guarantee you, it won't tip over. All good suggestions so far. JT or similar stabilizers help a great deal along with a set of good chocks should be all you need with a 2800RLS. It might help to tighten up the rear jacks a bit once you've been in a spot for a while. The ground tends to settle.

noobee

D
I use screw jacks under my frame when sitting, they work well in keeping my 39 foot landmark sturdy, they make a big differance. I like them because they are dual purpose and easy to install. They support well and great for the extra 1/2 inch you always need when leveling, also I can change my tires with them without having to carry a bottle jack.. Here is the link to Northern,, They have many sizes and a cheeper brand, but this is the ones I use. I would use 4 jacks if I was full timing, traveling I only carry 2 to keep the weight down. http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200318901_200318901
I always use a tripod under the pin... it make a big difference in the bed room.
Mike

Where do you place them on the frame?

CS

mikeandconnie

I place one behind the rear tire and one half way between the front tire and front jack. On my rig it's just forward of the door. I take the weight off the springs. Without out the jacks you can feel it every time someone walks around. When I'm traveling I only use one per side just aft of the tires, just to take the weight off the springs and bring up the low side to level.

Mike

Dutch & Di

I agree that the tripod, at least for us, didn't offer what we were looking for. The aftermarket permanently mounted stabilizers are the way to go. Diana