50 Amp Extensions

Razduck

Just curious how many of Heartland Owners carry and and have needed to use a 50 Amp Extension to the Factory 50 Amp Cord? At the extreme high cost of 50 Amp cords,
I am having difficulty justifying the expense. Your opinions would be appreciated.

We always have carried a 25' long extension for our 30 Amp cord on our last RV's, and used it 5 or 6 times. At this point, I think I will carry our 30 Amp Cord, and use the adapter to connect to the Power Supply.

Northern Virginia
I have used mine a few times. Not very often but when I needed it, it was nice to have. Kinda like the three water hoses I carry. Usually they're not needed, but ever so often....

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
Same here.I have a 50 amp but have never used it in a cg.My wife's uncle has an area behind his house that we and my mother and father in law use sometimes in the summer.He has installed a 50 amp service,but we can't get close enough to use only one cord.So we pull out the extension.Not sure I would buy one if I didn't have one.But as I say there are times when it is nice to have,

truknutt

Committed Member
To be honest, the only time I have ever used my extension while camping was while attending the National Rally in Goshen where the power pedestals are at the rear of the sites versus off to the side. On a stock rig, if you can get by with only 1 air conditioner, then all you need is your additional 30 amp cord with adapters.

We bit the bullet and bought one thinking it was a good idea. We have never used it. If I had it to do over again I would not buy one. I would do what Dave recommends and run on 30 amps. When we dry camp at the Indy 500 we use twin Honda generators at 30 amps. We just need to be careful on what electrical items we are using at the same time. That is our new form of "Roughing it" when we go camping.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

jnbhobe

Our 50 amp cord is rightwhere it was when we bought the rig. We use 30 amp all the time, we have about a 100 ft of 30 amp. We only have one AC so it works for us.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Like everyone else, I've had one for about 2 years and haven't used it yet. It's a home made extension cord but still pretty heavy. I carry it in a tote in the truck.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We carry both a 30 and 50 amp extension cords. We use the 50 at least twice a year and the 30 amp at least once a year. Where we find that we needs the extension cords are places that are not commercial campgrounds, like state parks, Good Sam rallies and Nascar racings.

Razduck

Thanks everyone!!

For now I think we'll pack along the 30 Amp cord. We don't use the AC Unit(s) very often here in Oregon, so using 30 Amps and one AC Unit should not be a problem. At some point we will probably buy a 50 Amp cord, but not right now. :)

SilverRhino

We carry a 50 amp extension and use it at least twice a year. Our favorite spot in our favorite Hill Country RV park requires that we use it when we set up to get the optimal benefit of the trees.

In west Texas the air conditioner gets used a lot! I know that we could get by on 30 amp....but for some reason it seems like the 50 amp rigs are more tempermental about what you have in use than a 30 amp OEM.....maybe just my imagination, but our old 30 amp rig seemed to handle the load better.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I had a 30A extension for our previous TT that came in handy at the state park a few times. I keep it in the "garage" of the BH now, along with a 30A to 50A adapter, if I ever need more cord. At our seasonal CG, the water and electric pedestal is near the rear of the coach, so a long cord has not been necessary. I only have one A/C, so I'll probably never need the full 50A supply.

floridarandy

EVERYTHING on our rig runs on 30 amp unless we want to:

1. Run microwave while running AC...WE DON'T
2. Run dual A/C's....we dont' have 2....and even if we did we'd run the LR during the day and the BR during the nite;

As a result we took the long 30A extenstion we had from the pop up and use the 50 to 30 amp adapter 100% of the time.

I haven't even changed 30A service I have at the house where we store our rig....50A would be nice....but we'd never use it.

porthole

Retired
I "use" to carry a 50 foot 50 amp cord, only because I had a spare from the boat. never used it so it came out. The boat cords are as much as a bear to move around.
If we are traveling I may bring along a 50 foot 30 amp cord (with a 50 amp plug on one end).
Before I put the electric reel on the Cyclone I used the 30 amp 90% of the time.

We do one trip a year where I will bring at least 100' of power cord. Never needed 100' but have needed 60-70.