Toy box weight offset

Just curious... does anyone know the rough percentage offset that a fully loaded cargo box is designed to take off the hitch?

I know these 5'er toyhaulers are designed with a lot of extra hitch weight to offset the loaded cargo box. I'm just curious how much of a difference that they're designed to make?

Obviously, there's a huge difference per model, how big of cargo box, how many axles, etc, but I'm betting the factory uses a percentage to figure out how much positive weight they need added on the front to properly balance the toyhaulers when loaded in general.

My toy hauler is rated at 2900 lbs hitch weight. Any time we take it out the toy box will be full with two quads and other gear. I drive big quads, so with those plus the weight of gear, I'm betting we'll be close to the 2500-lb cargo rating for the rear on my double axle RW 30C. I'm assuming that much weight will probably take a few hundred pounds off the hitch, but not sure.

Any experience on the scales with this guys, or do I need to wait until my 30C arrives and find out myself?

6.7powerstroke

I bet you will lose 300-400 pounds or so fully loaded. As a rule of thumb, hitch weight is roughly 15% of weight of trailer. Ours is 16K, so that would put it at 2400 pounds hitch weight, following that logic. However, the Titanium nose cone ads quite a bit of weight to it, so the calculation may be off. I haven't had a chance to run mine on the scale empty yet, but I only haul mountain bikes so can't tell you how much it will drop. The stats on the website are wrong, this thing actually has a 4050 cargo carrying capacity rating, of course some of that will be eaten up by propane, batteries, etc. Enjoy it, great trailer!

hoefler

If you know your weights, I can figure it for you. Need to know: pin weight with empty garage, weight of intended load in garage, axle weight, total length, distance from pin to center of axles, center of axles to center of load in garage.

porthole

Retired
These numbers were taken using a Sherline pin weight scale on our trailer
Both the bike and golf cart are about 800 pounds each.

Pin weights
Garage empty 2800
Bike only 2700
Golf cart and bike 2450