Truck being held hostage by Hydraulic Landing Gear

Walkerstv

We just returned home after spending spring break with our two youngest children at Arches National Park, UT. Felt great to get the 5vr on the road again! After preparing to re-store the trailer we parked the 5vr, pulled both pins to drop the front landing gear feet, rocked the switch down to lower the hydraulic legs—and got nothing but a loud squeal! I’ve never had a minute’s trouble with the hydraulic landing gear until today and thankfully everything worked great at the park.

(FYI… I’ve had the 5vr for just over a year and I am comfortable with the normal action of the switch—toggle down to drop the landing gear, toggle up to raise it. The switch seemed backward at first because the 5vr goes UP when you push DOWN… but you get used to it fast enough.)

After trying the switch again for a couple of seconds the hydraulic pump goes dead. A few seconds later there is a light click and the hydraulic pump works again--but without any improvement. The legs just won’t extend. My truck is now held captive by a 5vr that just doesn’t want to go back into storage!

Here is what we have tried to release the hostage truck:

1 – Verified the hydraulic pump is still working by successfully extending and retracting the hydraulic slides.
2 – Removed the landing gear switch from the 5vr and measured 12.9 volts across the hot and ground wires—not a fuse or power issue.
3 - Lifted both landing gear feet until the pins locked them in place above the ground. DW and I each stood on a pad while jumping the hot wire to the extend wire. The pump squeals and the legs come down slowly but not with any force to actually raise the 5vr off the truck.
4 - Jumped the hot wire to the retract wire and the legs retract normally.
This is my first 5vr with hydraulic landing gear. Any ideas around what to do next to find the cause of this issue would be most appreciated!

HappyKayakers

You might want to check this thread //heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/12390-front-landing-gear-problems?highlight=shear+pin

TedS

Check for a loose wire to the landing leg hydraulic solenoid valve. If it is not opening, no fluid goes to the landing legs even though the pump runs. Pump squeal means flow is blocked, a closed valve.

hoefler

Check for a loose wire to the landing leg hydraulic solenoid valve. If it is not opening, no fluid goes to the landing legs even though the pump runs. Pump squeal means flow is blocked, a closed valve.

I second this. If the pump is running the switch is functioning properly. Find the solenoid valve and check for continuity, for proper voltage to it and check for a good ground as well. You should be able to feel it click when energized. If it has power and a good ground, tap on it with something solid, ( a small hammer or wrench ) while it is energized. It may just be stuck or hung up. If it starts working when you tap it, get it replaced.

Walkerstv

Good News! I traced an intermittent voltage fluctuation to the toggle switch that operates the landing gear. Perhaps the snow storm we drove through to get back home uncovered a defective switch when it was exposed to moisture. Replaced the faulty switch with a marine grade MON-OFF-MON DPDT switch and the truck is no longer a hostage! The landing gear operates normally and all appears well. Hopefully this resolves the issue permanently and truck and trailer can remain part time friends for many years to come. Thanks to all those who contributed to the detective work...

Now on to resolve the low water pump pressure once the initial burst of built up pressure is released. I expect I'll find a clogged water filter at the pump.

branson4020

Icantre Member
Steve, can you post a picture of that switch? Where did you get it? I'm looking for higher quality replacement switches for my landing gear and electric rear jacks.

Walkerstv

First let me say that I'm not sure if this is the best quality switch available but it is water resistant and feels much firmer than the original factory switch when toggling back and forth. The manufacture web site is
http://www.sea-dog.com/groups/1902-illuminating-contura-r-rocker-switch

The local boat parts dealer sold me part 420219-1 which is illuminated but I didn't add power for that feature. I also just saw this brand of switches for cheaper prices on Amazon. This switch fit exactly into the existing mounting plate and was rated for 20 amps which should be plenty for the hydraulic system. At the local RV store they had similar switches to what came on the trailer but none claimed to be water resistant. Since this switch is exposed to the wheel spray of the truck I thought it was worth hunting down a marine grade switch. Let us know if you find a better brand...