Not Much Sleep With New Environment

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
We decided to bring Sox & Schooz along this weekend. This is their first weekend in the new camper. Although, we introduced them to the new coach while setting it up at the house, their first night was not without a destruction of our sleeping patterns.

They were fine in the truck and fine when we put them in the trailer. All bets were off when we retired for the night. Schooz was on and off the bed all night and she announces her presence in the room everytime she enters. Sox kept his cool and only came on the bed 3 times and each time he had to walk across the pillows and make sure we knew he was there. We made sure they had their favorite toys and found them all over the camper this morning so I would guess they were happy yet confused.

I sense a nap in my future if they'll let me have it!

HappyKayakers

Glad to see I'm not the only one with weird pets. I highly recommend a zero gravity chair outside this afternoon for a nap while the pets are inside :)

Rrloren

Our two Maine Coon cats do the same thing sometimes, they seem OK in the trailer tho. Usually once or twice a day they get into hyper play mode and then it's full speed chasing each other for 5 mins. or so. Have to hold on to stuff when this goes on.
Ours ride in the trailer unless it's too hot out. They find their spots and seem pretty content, one like to burrow under the bed cover and will stay there for hours.
Good luck acclimating yours to the new coach.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Our KK is very much like Deb's fur kids. I guess he became used to the trailer when we rescued him but since we bought the house last summer, he's not real excited about the house. Since we've been back, about 4AM every day, he starts running around looking for some way to occupy his time. And he's pretty verbal about it too.

Attachments

• 100_0539.JPG
    100_0539.JPG
    152.8 KB · Views: 32

letourno

Quebec Chapter Leader-retired
Anyone else having their cats travel in the trailer? That was my first plan however some friends convinced me to keep them in the truck while travelling. First trip is in a few weeks...

Our two Maine Coon cats do the same thing sometimes, they seem OK in the trailer tho. Usually once or twice a day they get into hyper play mode and then it's full speed chasing each other for 5 mins. or so. Have to hold on to stuff when this goes on.
Ours ride in the trailer unless it's too hot out. They find their spots and seem pretty content, one like to burrow under the bed cover and will stay there for hours.
Good luck acclimating yours to the new coach.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Anyone else having their cats travel in the trailer? That was my first plan however some friends convinced me to keep them in the truck while travelling. First trip is in a few weeks...

When we started fulltiming in '05 we had two older cats, they have since passed over, the last one left us just about a year ago. They always rode inside the trailer without any problem...they both found their safe spots...one was on the mass of pillows on the bed, the other found a small cubby hole just below the bed platform. This is where they stayed until we stopped and put the slides out. I put the litter pan on the rug just in front of the shower so they had it...no problem!

As for heat, it never gets that hot inside our trailer...the hottest has been in the low 80's even with it reaching 100 outside...trailer holds the temps quite well. Besides cats like it warmer anyway.

Never had a problem in close to five years...just be sure to have a visual on ALL cats when moving the slides!!

Rrloren

{Never had a problem in close to five years...just be sure to have a visual on ALL cats when moving the slides!!}

Very good point, our cats are only 11/2 yrs. old and last year when we got home from an outing we couldn't find one for a couple hrs. until we heard him crying. Turns out he got into the slide area and I opened the slides when we got home. Don't want to do that again.

porthole

Retired
We have tried the cat in the truck routine - in the crate he would just meow incessantly.
Let him out and he would walk all around, sometimes up around my neck and onto my lap.

He now rides in the trailer and seems much happier. Stays in his night time sleeping position, near the bedroom slide window where he is always watching the outside activity.

Probably still wondering why he can’t see out the window when we travel.
Litter box is in the bathroom, some food, a little water.

Deb has been in the trailer with him and she says he is more active when we are moving then when setup. He seldom comes out of the bedroom when we are at camp but while traveling he is from one end to the other.

HappyKayakers

Mine rides almost exclusively in the trailer now. It was getting to be a real pain trying to get her crated and into the truck, then the yowling for several hours, etc. Now, when I start bringing the slides in she goes under the futon or dining room table until everything stops. Same when putting slides out. She has access to her litter box, food and water while traveling, and I visit during some rest stops.

Robert & Louise, I know what you mean about the cats racing through the trailer. Mine is also part Maine Coon, 15 lbs and does sprints sometimes from the bed to the recliners and back. She can rock the rig all by herself.