Cupboard fronts

Dave49

I took my 2011 BH to Gillette Interstate RV this last week to have to some warranty work done. I will say this right off the bat. I am very happy with my BH and it has served me well. I have actually stayed in this since we bought it last April. Heartland has honored all warranty work and done well there, except.........and here comes the bummer!! Cupboard fronts are slowly discoloring for what reasons I have no idea. But Heartland says this is from normal wear? How can you say a not even year old unit is subject to normal wear. Mind you this is not dents or anything of the sort. The most damage that I have is right in front of the kitchen sink. Water has dripped down there no doubt, but that shouldn't have caused this. I tried to put a stain on them to take care of it and it won't accept the stain. So on this issue I am little taken back by Heartlands stance on this.

Is there anyone out there that is having this same problem? If so, did you figure out how to fix it, and if so, how did you do it? I'm afraid what this kitchen is going to look like in 5 yrs.

Dave

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Dave, what color woodwork do you have? Could you post a few pics of the problem? Maybe someone here has an answer.

Peace
Dave

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Properly finished woodwork should not discolor in that short of a time frame, even if a little water drips on it. Especially if it's a lower cabinet face, not exposed to direct sunlight.

navyAZ1

Without seeing the cabinets I can't say for sure just what is happening, but I can tell you after having been working in and have been raised in the cabinet trades that the use of Cherry wood in the newer Heartland coaches you will experience a much different color change than you will with the light oak cabinets that were put in the older Heartlands. Cherry has a tendency to change colors and turn darker quicker than the oak did and one piece of cherry will darken more quickly than another it is just the nature of the wood. The other problem you might be having is the finish that was put on the cabinets, I'm not sure but I would assume that Heartland uses a spray on type stain and not a hand rubbed stain and this makes a difference in the aging of the colors. Moisture will affect any finish even small amounts, always make sure when you have a spill be sure and wipe it off as soon as possible. Is your problem just color change or are you having problems with the finish itself checking and showing signs of wear? Good Luck.

Ron

Dave49

Sorry been busy here. To let you all know, its an oak finish. I will try to get some pictures posted here although you will have to hold on a bit since I have never done it on this site. But I will deffinately work on it. When the dealer said normal wear I said ok, and then when I left I started to think ........wait a minute this unit is only 1 yr old, how can this be normal wear? Anyway, I will work more with Heartland on this, and as soon as I know more I will let all of you know the outcome.

Please understand that I am in no way trying to bash Heartland or there product. I believe its something that will eventually be worked out. They have been more than willing to do the other things that I have done, I just believe there may be a misunderstanding here is all.

Dave

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Dave, our Horn is 4 years old and cabinets look just fine. Unless things have changed HL has the cabinets made by the Amish. The one hitch to this is HL has a 90 day fit and finish warranty. If the finish is really a defective issue then I hope they take care of you. Have you talked with HL service directly or just with the dealer???

Dave49

Dave, our Horn is 4 years old and cabinets look just fine. Unless things have changed HL has the cabinets made by the Amish. The one hitch to this is HL has a 90 day fit and finish warranty. If the finish is really a defective issue then I hope they take care of you. Have you talked with HL service directly or just with the dealer???

I talked with the dealer who took pictures of the cupboards and sent them the HL. They said HL said this was from normal wear. I still find it hard to deal with, but I had not noticed the 90 day fit and finish. As I said, this unit has been trouble free really and the few things that have come up HL has dealt with effeciently. Still hard to swallow the fact that its normal wear when I know I treat the woodwork through out the whole thing with furniture polish and try to keep it looking like brand new. We do use the unit a lot and need to keep on top of it in order to keep it looking like new. Which it still does, not counting the cupboard doors and drawers.

KENNY COCHRAN

MCNEESE STATE COWBOYS #1
My bighorn is right at 2 years old and we have the light oak (i assume) finish. Looks great. I think you got a bad finish on your doors. I would take the doors off, remove handle/knobs and lightly sand them down, and put a good coat of polyurathane? On them. Fixed.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
"I'm afraid what this kitchen is going to look like in 5 yrs."....we have the oak in our '08 Bighorn, and have lived in it for 4 years...our cabinets look great, showing no signs of wear...I would really like to see pics of what you're talking about.