Break-in to the basement

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Well i guess it was bound to happen. Just discovered... Our trailer is at a storage facility...We are the furthest trailer from the front... Right near the back fence... and someone popped the basement door open (we have combi-cam locks) and stole our ladder, RVQ grill, two battery powered air pumps and another battery power source with jumper cables.

Didn't take camp chairs/table, surge protector (locked to power cord) or any tools.

Those things together will not be more than my deductible to replace, but thank goodness no damage to the coach!!

Erika

jbeletti

Hi Erika,

Sorry to hear about your break-in. We've been lucky in over 7 years of RV storage to never have any break-ins. Most of that time, the RVs were in seasonal spots at a CG - so I think that helps. Storage lots, while necessary, seem to be burglar magnets.

I know what the cam is on the back of the lock, but what is a combi-cam?

Thankfully they didn't force your entrance door. Best of luck replacing your gear.

Jim

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Makes you want to do violent things, don't it? We had ours busted into at the storage yard on New Year's Eve. Got both TV's, but they left the stereo amp and didn't make a mess. Insurance covered the TV's and repairing the door latch, screen, and glass.

TravelTiger

41wP+33YjRL._SS500_.jpg
This is the Combi-cam lock. Replaces the standard lock has a combination rather than a key. Apparently not any more secure. :-(

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Bummer :( Sorry to hear about the break-in but at least they didn't get inside the coach. We changed our basement locks to hex locks and are fortunate enough that our coach stays at our house. DH installed motion-security lights inside the camper shed and so far only the deer trip them on. I've woke up several time to find the lights on but no two legged creatures, only four legged wondering around. Love living near the woods!!!

TravelTiger

Actually, the combination lock was still locked, so it appears they had the right tool/knowhow to pop it out of the frame without damage. They also opened the locked battery compartment, but did not steal the battery. (We had disconnected it, but not removed it.)

All the items can of course be replaced. Blessed that they didn't spend more time trying to do further damage.

irvin56

sorry to hear that. I have them to and will check on length of back latch. They may of just pried door up enough for latch to clear door frame.
A lock only keeps an honest man stay honest. Thief's will bust into anything to get into what ever they want.
I have been lucky with all my units as to breakins, weather at home or in storage area. But luck runs out after a while.
irvin

rjr6150

Erika & Tony
Kathy and I know the feeling. We had our unit broken into early Feb in our locked steel storage garage. Twisted the main door and all the compartments walked away with over $1800 in things. Taking is to Denver on Monday to have all repaired.

jbeletti

Erika,

Thanks for the lock picture. While it may be no more secure than a key type, at least you always have the key (in your head).

Wharton

One thing that some of us do(most of us don't) is change the outside locks on the compartments from the standard "751". This won't stop the determined person but it will stop a casual RV owner from coming buy, opening a compartment with his key and helping himself. At least it is a first step....................

Sorry to hear about the brake in. Lynn and I had our old 3400RL broken it while in storage. They broke the window on the door and stole the TV, but left the remote which was sitting next to the TV. The dummies also left their tools. The first few times you go into your rig after this happens you have the odd feeling you have been violated by them being in your rig without permission. Now when we put our rig in storage I pull the electronics out and mount them in a room at home and use them in the off season.

archbarb

Sorry to read about your misfortune. We have a 1 acre lot and the back yard is enclosed with a six foot privacy fence. Our HOA allows RV's to be keep on your property. Not that that's any more secure, but we also have a 110 lb. American Staffordshire Terrier, or for lack of better words, Pit Bull, that keeps the property patrolled and works only for food.

Archie

jbeletti

Bob,

I'd say the slam latch style door would be a bit harder to force open, but definitely possible to do.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Ultrafarmer - we got the hex locks at Camping World. We didn't check online in that we were already at CW but some other folks have found similar type of locks online.