Alaska

Ron Schoner

Tin Star
Ok, I need information on traveling to Alaska. Becky and I are going to take the BIG ONE......A couple of months to Alaska and back. What do we need as far as a pass Port? Is it needed? What about spare parts for the tow vehicle? Any items for the 5th wheeler?

Ron & Becky

fireflipper

EX-Travel Bug
Fireflipper

Roy
As of Janurary of this year you moust have a passport to return from Canada to the US. When you are questioned, give direct answers, the shorter the better.

p.S. take plenty of money or credit. The price of fuel and food, especialy chicken is ridiculous up there. The price of diesel in the summer of 05 was four dollars a gallon, can only imagine what it is now. I can find out if you would like me to. I have relatives that live in Fort St John B.C. You will be going through there on your way up.

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
fireflipper said:
Roy
The price of diesel in the summer of 05 was four dollars a gallon, can only imagine what it is now.

THe wife and I and 2 friends were up there the summer of '02 and saw a sign north of Denali that listed unleaded at $1.99 and we could not believe it. Now I am back in the lower 48 and paying $2.34 for the same thing.:rolleyes:

DougLynne

retired Alberta Chapter Leaders
Here are some diesel prices from last summer. Anchorage 2.94, Seward 3.15, Homer 2.99, Glen Allen 3.34, Tok 2.99. Hope this helps and yes fuel here in Canada is higher, we only pull it out of the ground here you know, then the various Gov't take a big chunck.

We found the roads generally good except for the frost heaves, the Top-of-the-World is beautiful but rough gravel form the Border to Chicken then OK.

Hope this helps..../Doug

fireflipper

EX-Travel Bug
Fireflipper

My wife and I had planned on making the Alaska trip in the summer of 05, had to be in Fort St John for a relatives sixtyith anniversary any way. But with the price of fuel at 1.05 a litter, which converts to the four dollars a gallon we could not afford it. We still had a lot of traveling to do in the lower forty eight to see other relatives.

nhunter

Of course the price of chicken is ridiculous up here we're cattle ranchers not chicken ranchers.:D Which way do you plan to go? Definitly bring your passport, we have being carrying ours for the past 3 years, just in case. The price of diesel seems to go up because of various refinery fires and never go back down.

fireflipper

EX-Travel Bug
Fireflipper

nhunter
I know that you are cattle ranchers, and farmers. A lot of my relatives are spread across Canada, they were all ranchers and farmers, but they also had chickens, and some pigs, and other assorted animals for food. The price was just a shock to me compared to beef, since it had been about twenty years since I had been up there.

Glenn