Easy addition of an Inverter.

Snakebite

Adding a large capacity INVERTER is a simple matter. It can be located close to the batteries, and it's output hooked to a separate RV receptical (local Lowe's store) which the Shore Line can be plugged into. This negates the need to add a transfer switch and lots of complicated wiring. Doing it this way, you need to make sure that the Electric Water Heater is turned off (Gas operation only), the Refrigerator is locked on gas only, the Air Conditioner is turned off. ALSO... it is necessary to turn off the CONVERTER... however, there is no way to do so. If the converter was put on it's own separate circuit beaker, it could easily be turned off.. thus, allowing for the easy use of a full house inverter.

Snakebite

jbeletti

Snakbite,

Please clarify the intent of this thread. Are you:
1. Making a statement about the simplicity of adding a inverter
2. Giving a high-level "how-to" on installing an inverter
3. Asking product owners why the converter is not on it's own breaker

With this clarification, you should get a fair amount of feedback.

Thanks,

Jim

Snakebite

Snakbite,

Please clarify the intent of this thread. Are you:
The intent of this thread was to suggest to the mfg to put the Converter on a separate circuit breaker, rather than a "Shared" circuit breaker that they now use. The rest was justification for such a need.

1. Making a statement about the simplicity of adding a inverter
Few people know how to "easily" install a whole house Inverter on their rigs, so they don't do it. It doesn't have to be expensive. I just put on a 6,000/3,000 watt whole house inverter for less than $200. It runs the microwave and TV just fine. I thought that others might be interested. But.... before they can do it, there must be a way to turn off the Converter.

2. Giving a high-level "how-to" on installing an inverter
High Level?? Humm, I guess I'm just not up on things.... I sure didn't see this as "High-Level".

3. Asking product owners why the converter is not on it's own breaker
I wasn't and didn't ask anything... I suggested that the Converter be put on it's own circuit breaker, and gave justification for doing so. That's why I posted it where I originally posted it. I thought that was the right place.

With this clarification, you should get a fair amount of feedback.

Thanks,

Jim

Snakebite

jbeletti

Thanks for the clarification.

I can't say why we don't put the converter on it's own AC breaker. Perhaps the current draw is so light that it makes sense to add more load to that breaker. Just don't know.

I do know that very few RVers add inverters. For those that do, moving the converter to a new breaker on it's own or redistributing the loads is something most of them do do as part of the process of adding the inverter and wiring it in. My point is, by not having the inverter on it's own breaker, affects few people - though it did affect you.

Thanks.

Jim

caissiel

I have installed a 3 way switch on the storage recepticle on the battery side and when I want 110 power to the slide plugs I just switch the 3 way switch away from the fuse panel, and then plug in the Inverted that is also installed in the storage compatment.

There is a very important caution to be aware off, is that the ground circuit is common over all the trailer and if the trailer is plugged in and the inverter is on, the ground will kill the inverter. It happened to me by mistake. So Now I keep the cord off the inverter in case I forget it on.

Snakebite

I mounted a 30 Amp RV receptical next to my inverter, which is mounted in the front compartment less then a 18" run from the batteries. The shorter the low voltage run.... the better. 100_0120.jpg To use it, I just plug in the shore line. That way, it is impossible to have the rig pluged into both the inverter and the shore power.

Snakebite

Snakebite,

Nice demonstration of a simple installation. Is that a 250A fuse or circuit breaker on your battery line? If it's a circuit breaker, what model is it?

Darrin

ParkIt

Also like the clean installation - I want to add an inverter since I'm used to using one and there are times when that's all we need. Thanks for the post & pics.

Snakebite

I use a fuse. I have found that going to an auto parts store.... like PEP BOYS, is the best place to buy fuses and holders... I buy the stuff that is made to put on the high wattage car stereo systems. Seems that they are less than half the price that the Inverter web sites get for them. Also..... I watched Ebay... that NEW 6000/3000 watt Inverter cost me a Whopping............................................$169! It works GREAT!

Snakebite

ps... if you decide to do something like this, remember to find a way to turn off the CONVERTER.... I just put mine on a separate Breaker.

yepuhuh

So you put a 30amp plug there, do you hook your RV pigtail to that when you want to use it? Also, what will it run?

How long will your batteries last and how many batteries do you have? I've heard using golf cart batteries is the way to go however, they add a lot of weight.

Jimalberta

Hi All,

I still fairly new here. Snakebite....that inverter you bought off of e-bay...is it a pure sine wave converter? If it is, it sure is a good price.

wdk450

Sankebite:
What model trailer do you have? (Please add to your signature). My Bighorn 2008 3670 has a seperate AC breaker for the convertor. I would think that standard wiring codes REQUIRE this.
I located my 3000 watt pure sine wave inverter from E-Bay on the front storage comaprtment wall, added a 300 amp fuse, have a total of 4 group 24 SLA deep cycle batteries, and heavy duty cables. I added a remote power switch to the inverter, and permanently plugged in an outdoor extention cord. I ran the cord and the inverter power switch to the laundry storage compartment in the stairs. That way I can run the extention cord to any inside appliance, or out the far window to the trailer power cord. I can switch the inverter on and off without going outside. This system really worked well for me a few weeks ago when I was in a boondocking campground, a cold, windy rainstorm came up, and I could not sleep and wanted to watch TV.

eddylives

Hey all , after reading this thread and others I ended up installing our invertor to run two TV's and a DVD player just because I did not want to have to run the generator for movie time lol.
I also put the 1500W invertor into the front compartment with a short run of wire through the floor to a 12V dual battery set-up I also installed recently.
The hardest part for me was punching holes in a new trailer lmao , along with the hole in the floor I had to get the remote wire for the inv. along with the extension cord through the comp. wall and then through the bedroom wall. I have the two tv's set up back to back on the bedroom wall...one for us and one for the kids , both running off of the same DVD player.

I am also considering the other post here of the whole house system by plugging the main trailer cord into the invertor if I read it right , with a larger invertor of course.
Just wondering how you stop the convertor from trying to charge the batterys while doing this?

porthole

Retired
Just wondering how you stop the convertor from trying to charge the batterys while doing this?

Either buy an inverter that includes a built in charger and disconnect the trailer's converter or - flip the breaker when using the converter. Average inverter efficiency is about 80%. It gets better the more you spend.
Running 80% and trying to charge your batteries with a converter that is also not at 100% will be a losing battle.

If you want to spend the money, the better inverters are hard wired in between your shore power and circuit breakers. They include an automatic transfer switch. This type, when turned, on will automatically switch to battery powered 110 volts AC when you disconnect from city power.

Urban350

X2 on what Duanne said. Before I got my latest inverter, one with a charger and transfer switch built in, I used to have to turn off my battery charger and fridge, put it on propane, now all I have to do is put my fridge on propane. One less step lol...

CrazyCooter

I get a kick out of reading about all the ghetto inverter setups where a person spends $600 for a cheap inverter and parts to install. They then complain about the lame converter their rig came installed with, so they spend another $300 on that.

For a few $ more, a decent inverter/charger with a built in transfer switch could have been had.......

porthole

Retired
now all I have to do is put my fridge on propane. One less step lol...

Guess that is a catch 22 in the scenario.
What is more efficient and what is overall less costly?

• Running the fridge on 12 volts and propane versus
  • Running the fridge on inverted 110AC

A good charger/inverter will shut down at a set voltage so as not to drain the batteries. Running the fridge on 12 volts will also shut down the inverter when the voltage drops enough but the fridge may still keep running.

Urban350

The fridge draws way to much even for my 4 6volts. One day I will actually measure it. Same goes for a/c and the hot water tank on 120volts. Yes with my inverter the a/c will run but I would hate to see how many batteries I would need lol...